A new striker in January.

coco
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Should we consider buying another striker in January ?

Can we afford not to ?

That striker down the road had another goal the weekend, a nice little finish from an awkward chance, similar to the chance Alvaro had yesterday 6yds out.

3 minutes ago, coco said:

Should we consider buying another striker in January ?

Can we afford not to ?

That striker down the road had another goal the weekend, a nice little finish from an awkward chance, similar to the chance Alvaro had yesterday 6yds out.

You mean the chance the goalkeeper saved with his nose?

We probably do need another striker though and I'm sure Sarri is considering it. You hardly ever seen Giroud miss any chances but that's mainly because he's too slow to get on the end of anything. Batschuayi seems to have returned to his Chelsea/pre-Dortmand form at Valencia. Morata could maybe come good but not until he sorts his head out.

I've no idea who a realistic target might be. I don't think there's any point blowing money on average/past it/unfit players like we did last season.

We definitly should.
Our strikeforce is rather embarrassing for a top club.

One painfully average spaniard and a former Arsenal-reserve is all we have and that is clearly nowhere near good enough.

It's a big shame because if we had a top class striker like Liverpool, City, Tottenham and United. we would have been right up there come may.

Edited by Sindre

I don't think we need another physical striker like Giroud, I think we need someone who can get about the pitch in deeper positions, a second striker who can also play as a #10. If yesterday was anything to go by we don't have a decent backup/alternative for Pedro.

Edited by the special one

Arnautovic or Mitrovic, but unfortunately not sure either would be available. However, we'll have to see how Morata gets on in the next 2-3 months. Who knows, by some miracle he may pull his finger out and start putting goals away left, right and centre. Stranger things have happened. :beg:

I saw a rumour we've shown an interest in Mitrovic but Fulham only bought him in during the summer for about £22m, no way is he going anywhere until next summer at the earliest. 

I said in another thread that I wouldn't be surprised if we let Morata leave on loan in January with a mind of bringing in someone up front. No idea who that would be though, it's very rare for big name players to move in a January transfer window. 

If Inter Milan continue to their poor start to the season you'd love for us to go all in for Icardi. Torino are in the lower half of the table too, so Belotti could be worth trying for... 

Once again we find ourselves in a desperate position in the striker department. I don't know why we keep cocking it up, but it's a bit tiring watching our midfielders trying to find a way to win us games because our strikers can't seem to do the one thing your want your strikers to do......put the ball in the net. I just want us to stop wasting money on duds. It's so frustrating watching a team of very good players handicapped by strikers.

We do need a new striker (again) but we won't get one in January, so it's likely that we will have to suffer another season watching the strikers we do have fail to take their chances or just not get any chances at all.

4 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Once again we find ourselves in a desperate position in the striker department. I don't know why we keep cocking it up, but it's a bit tiring watching our midfielders trying to find a way to win us games because our strikers can't seem to do the one thing your want your strikers to do......put the ball in the net. I just want us to stop wasting money on duds. It's so frustrating watching a team of very good players handicapped by strikers.

We do need a new striker (again) but we won't get one in January, so it's likely that we will have to suffer another season watching the strikers we do have fail to take their chances or just not get any chances at all.

For all the money we've spent, in the last ten years we've barely signed any strikers that you would say were A list, top of their game players. 

Last one we bought that was, was Diego and he was a massive success. 

Morata has never played week in, week out for his entire career and never scored 20 goals in a season, his signing was a gamble and it doesn't look like it will pay off but we were desperate to sign someone after the public falling out with Costa and United gazumping us in the bid for Lukaku. 

Other than that we've signed a 33 year old Eto'o, Demba Ba from Newcastle how was never going to be anything more than a stop gap. Fernando Torres in a January transfer window where his form in the previous 6 months suggested he was struggling to recover from injury. 

Remy, Pizzaro, Pato, Sturridge... None of them were ever going to be challenging for a place in the starting XI. 

Anelka was a success because he was fit and in form when we bought him with a proven track record of scoring goals wherever he went. 

We need to target a quality striker, playing well and scoring goals... Not trying to find a short cut or a cheaper option. 

1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

I saw a rumour we've shown an interest in Mitrovic but Fulham only bought him in during the summer for about £22m, no way is he going anywhere until next summer at the earliest. 

I said in another thread that I wouldn't be surprised if we let Morata leave on loan in January with a mind of bringing in someone up front. No idea who that would be though, it's very rare for big name players to move in a January transfer window. 

If Inter Milan continue to their poor start to the season you'd love for us to go all in for Icardi?. Torino are in the lower half of the table too, so Belotti? could be worth trying for... 

Icardi would be great but he's well out of our league in terms of the transfer fee. Belotti's probably more realistic but he's had three seasons in Serie A and only scored a lot of goals in one of them. Last season he scored fewer goals in the league than Morata.

I'm sure some of the players being mentioned are a case of the grass appearing greener on the other side.

12 minutes ago, bluedave said:

Icardi would be great but he's well out of our league in terms of the transfer fee. Belotti's probably more realistic but he's had three seasons in Serie A and only scored a lot of goals in one of them. Last season he scored fewer goals in the league than Morata.

I'm sure some of the players being mentioned are a case of the grass appearing greener on the other side.

Belotti got 10 goals and 4 assists (total 14 goals contributed to) last season for Torino who finished 9th. 

Morata got 11 goals and 6 assists (total 17 goals contributed to) last season with us finishing 5th. 

Not a lot between them and so far this season Belotti has 2 goals in 5 games and Morata has 1. 

If Belotti demonstrates some quality finishing again up to January he could be worth trying for given the likelihood that most other strikers won't be available. 

I'll be honest my knowledge of the European leagues isn't that extensive anymore as I don't following any football outside of Chelsea so I don't know much about players unless they're linked to us or they're getting lots of headlines. I just use Belotti as an example of the sort of striker who might be a realistic option come January. 

Do not believe there will be ANY top class/decent strikers available in the January sales, not worth buying more of the same.

So if the two we already have, who are trying to fit the system have not required there shooting boots,

then lets recall one or even two of our loanee's  ie Tammy, Batshuayi or Izzy Brown (can not be much worse) if they are not being played regular.

Believe will we have to be content with what we got until next season, then really go all out for a top A+ class striker.

This thread feels like it's making a collective case for doing the false 9 thing. Our centre-forward is a bit rubbish and so are all realistically available ones on the market.

Perdo or buy another "attacking midfielder". Feels like it would yield more goals than playing Morata. I could be wrong.

2 hours ago, yorkleyblue said:

So downgrade a misfiring Morata for a slightly worse Morata-lite, then?

Belotti is putting in Morata’s numbers in a worse team. Stands to reason that in a better, more consistent team (ie Chelsea) his overall output could/would improve too.

Despite playing for three of the best teams in Europe Morata hasn’t been able to find any kind of consistency when it comes to goal scoring so we’re suggesting players who potentially could.

8 hours ago, Sindre said:

We definitly should.
Our strikeforce is rather embarrassing for a top club.

One painfully average spaniard and a former Arsenal-reserve is all we have and that is clearly nowhere near good enough.

It's a big shame because if we had a top class striker like Liverpool, City, Tottenham and United. we would have been right up there come may.

One world champion striker you mean 

For me, we need somebody who is a striker with aggression, hard work and hunger. Somebody who is not going to give up wanting to score, bit like a prime Suarez (in attitude obviously) would be perfect because we need that. I would guess, going by what Sarri said about Pedro's movement, is that he would want a striker with excellent movement. How much would Vardy go for? 

Edited by enigma