100M to spend in the summer

mez
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

The rumour is.

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich is set to give Avram Grant a £100m summer transfer kitty, despite the Blues manager coming under fire from fans following Monday's draw with Wigan. (Daily Mirror)

It's the thought of someone giving Avram £100M that gets me. Only comments I could make would not be printable, Avram is a complete

plonker and a fantasist.

RA is sticking by Avram, next season is going to be a real laugh!

Mez

That's not news is it? Whoever is the manager next season we need a bit of a shake up, regardless of what us fans might want or think the worst that's going to happen to Avi is that he'll be moved back to the director of football post, which has a main say in players that are signed. So even if he is given £100m to spend it doesn't mean he'll be managing the players he signs!

I think that if you want to be known as playing charismatic and adventurous football then you need a charismatic and adventurous manager. People don’t only look at the players on the pitch and work out what style of football they play but they also look at the manager. Especially as Roman wants Chelsea to be a global name and I can’t see the whole world watching Chelsea matches regularly so they will have to base their opinions on word of mouth and image.

I personally am worried not only by avram managing the team but by him apparently being the senior buyer for the club. Not that I don’t like avram. He has done a very good job this season. Who would of thought that we would be anywhere near the position we are in when Jose left. I'd like to see Hiddink or Rijkard come in as manager and for avram to go completely. I think that they will have more knowledge of how to play the "total football" style that roman (and I) so desperately wants.

He said himself that he and roman aren't friends anymore because roman is now his boss.

I know this will probably get ripped into but hey ho it’s my opinion.

i think were gonna have to get used to this kind of garbage over the next 3 or 4 months. as usual, i wont believe a word of it until i see them in a blue shirt. one thing our club does do well is try and keep their transfer dealings to themselves. very rarely is their any official from the club spouting names here their and everywhere, unlike certain other clubs.

That's not news is it? Whoever is the manager next season we need a bit of a shake up, regardless of what us fans might want or think the worst that's going to happen to Avi is that he'll be moved back to the director of football post, which has a main say in players that are signed. So even if he is given £100m to spend it doesn't mean he'll be managing the players he signs!

The amount is predictable but the critical thing is who will be spending that money?

If it's Grant I will despair.

Not because he may not get us good players - he will pick whoever Roman, Arnesen and co want him to pick.

The trouble starts when he gets his hands on them and starts managing (cough) them next season.

That's where the problems will start - good possibly excellent players having to survive under the guidance of a man who looks like he's forgotten to switch the gas off at home.

I also do think that players are influenced by the manager if it comes to a choice between say two clubs bidding for their services with the pay about equal, you have one big club managed by say a Jose/Fergie/Wenger and the other by Grant - which would you pick?

If Grant has £100M, is not a case of who he/Roman buys, as to whether any player wants to join us.

Players will have seen the way Grant has managed the side and the way we are playing, and would they seriously sign for us.

So £100m, or £200M or whatever the amount is, i think is irrelevant, players will not want to join us while Grant is here.

I think that the general concensus is that there will be a large transfer kitty awarded to whoever is our manager next season. However, I don't think that manager will be Grant, and I think this 100MM is just a nice round figure that makes for tabloid headings

The amount is predictable but the critical thing is who will be spending that money?

If it's Grant I will despair.

Not because he may not get us good players - he will pick whoever Roman, Arnesen and co want him to pick.

The trouble starts when he gets his hands on them and starts managing (cough) them next season.

That's where the problems will start - good possibly excellent players having to survive under the guidance of a man who looks like he's forgotten to switch the gas off at home.

I also do think that players are influenced by the manager if it comes to a choice between say two clubs bidding for their services with the pay about equal, you have one big club managed by say a Jose/Fergie/Wenger and the other by Grant - which would you pick?

Funny you say that, because my feelings are that with top top class players at your disposal and a good coaching support crew any idiot could successfully manage a football side (myself included). Look at Fergie on the weekend in the match against Arsenal, did he do anything particually smart to change the game around?, not really, he just brought on Tevez and Anderson off the bench.

It really is all about the players, Fergies proved that time and time again with Man Utd showing you can win matches with relatively simple tactics if you've got the right cattle.

qaz

I think that undersells Fergie. The best managers like talent of all sorts have the knack of making things seem simple. Jimi hendrix guitar riffs seem fairly simple until you actually try them.

Fergie buys players extremely well. He is also a good seller and broadly speaking runs a quality squad.

His team generally looks very motivated, and despite all his years in the game he seems totally involved.

I haven't been happy with CFC this season, mainly because I don't think the team is playing as one and nor do I think it is really playing with passion a lot of the time. At the same time we have gone to the brink of great achievement but then ultimately failed in it all.

The season could still end disasterously or more hopefully we can win the champions league.

Yet another opinion that you don't have, eh Qaz? And this one's a beauty. Look what Fergie did against Arsenal. A couple of substitutions. And that's the be-all and end-all of his job.

Fine Qaz. Forget all the preparation on and off the training ground; forget all about planning; forget about pre-match and half-time team talks. Oh and definitely forget about motivation and man-management and everything else that managing a Premiership site entails. Because all you need are relatively simple tactics and the right cattle?

Ok Qaz. Whatever you say.

Yet another opinion that you don't have, eh Qaz? And this one's a beauty. Look what Fergie did against Arsenal. A couple of substitutions. And that's the be-all and end-all of his job.

Fine Qaz. Forget all the preparation on and off the training ground; forget all about planning; forget about pre-match and half-time team talks. Oh and definitely forget about motivation and man-management and everything else that managing a Premiership site entails. Because all you need are relatively simple tactics and the right cattle?

Ouch Lofty, someones bitter icon_wink.gif

I wasn't trying to undersell Fergie. He has done a very good job with Man Utd over an extended period of time. I was simply pointing out that being able to call on the likes of Tevez and Anderson off the bench is very handy if you want to change a game.

Ouch Lofty, someones bitter icon_wink.gif

I wasn't trying to undersell Fergie. He has done a very good job with Man Utd over an extended period of time. I was simply pointing out that being able to call on the likes of Tevez and Anderson off the bench is very handy if you want to change a game.

Bitter? Not me mate. I'm just a simple soul. But even I can see that there's a massive difference between these two statements:

Look at Fergie on the weekend in the match against Arsenal, did he do anything particually smart to change the game around?, not really, he just brought on Tevez and Anderson off the bench.
I was simply pointing out that being able to call on the likes of Tevez and Anderson off the bench is very handy if you want to change a game.

Then you go on to say that:

It really is all about the players, Fergies proved that time and time again

Because you say so? Sorry, I seriously can't see any rhyme or reason to the above statement. I have to ask myself what you were on when you wrote that. But ok, I'll pretend to take it seriously. if it really was all about the playerrs, don't you think that football chairmen worldwide would have sussed this out and done away with managers entirely?

Hello Martin. My instinct is to tell you to f**k off simply for your choice of user name,. The whole Chelski thing was old when it was new. Not to mention inaccurate. The suffix "ski" is Polish. But then why should a little thing like that matter to the sh*t stirring media and the idiot masses who gleefully lap up their every word?