Lampard: a kneejerk reaction...

sweet waffle
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Who do you think should take our next penalty?  

49 members have voted

1. 1.

• Stick with Lamps
    • Sheva
    • Drogba
    • Ballack
    • Joey Cole
    • Robben
    • Essien
    • Maka??
    • Other

Lampard, he should always be the man from the spot, BUT!...NO MORE DIRECT FREE KICKS PLEASE, let Ballack, Sheva, or even Drogs(he can hit them for cote d'ivoire and has hit a few for us) and when Geremi is in the squad i dont mind him standing over the ball...lampard is brutal with these situations, he has power but he does not have the placement...and we've all seen Ballack and Sheva take some and they both have power and placement on their shots...but penalties Lampard's success rate is very impressive and i dont see why today's miss would warrent him being overthrown by anyone else.

Am I the only one who think Lamps can't take penalties either? :?

The last few penalties I remember him taking I almost had heart attacks each time. Against Blackburn he got lucky. Penalties for England are even worse.

I'm sorry but not many English, including Lampard, are good at penaltes. How many times did England get kicked out of Euro/World Cups on penalties?

Ballack, as well as all the other Germans rip that net every time. I will give it to Ballack anytime. Sheva is also good, but not as good.

Am I the only one who think Lamps can't take penalties either? :?

The last few penalties I remember him taking I almost had heart attacks each time. Against Blackburn he got lucky. Penalties for England are even worse.

I'm sorry but not many English, including Lampard, are good at penaltes. How many times did England get kicked out of Euro/World Cups on penalties?

Ballack, as well as all the other Germans rip that net every time. I will give it to Ballack anytime. Sheva is also good, but not as good.

Lampard has been our primary PK taker for a while now BosFanCFC, he has a very good record with them, yes lately for england he has missed a few but chelsea is not england and i do not think it would make sense to take away our trust in him and place it on someone new who would have to adapt to the pressure situation...for me its still lampard and it will always be that way unless he misses the next say 4-5 in a row.

I think it should be shared out a bit...Ballack should take more of the free kicks and whoever fancies it more....they should be able to work something out between them,

I wouldn't worry about todays penalty miss by Lamps as he hit it well enough and you have to give the goalkeeper some credit for the save.

I think it should be shared out a bit...Ballack should take more of the free kicks and whoever fancies it more....they should be able to work something out between them,

I wouldn't worry about todays penalty miss by Lamps as he hit it well enough and you have to give the goalkeeper some credit for the save.

yes, it was a fantastic save

apart from it being a fantastic save... ive always felt that a penaulty taker shouldnt be forced into taking one.. especially if some one else is feeling confident in taking one.. and lampard doesnt really confince me hes 100% certain about taking them. i would much sooner ballack take them as he's proberbly the biggest name in chelsea at this moment of time.

I voted for Lampard as well...

If we were to change the penalty taker after every miss it would be ridiculous.

If he continues to be inconsistent than a change should be considered.

Regarding the free kicks - I agree they should be more spread out between the players...

I voted for Lampard as well...

If we were to change the penalty taker after every miss it would be ridiculous.

If he continues to be inconsistent than a change should be considered.

Regarding the free kicks - I agree they should be more spread out between the players...

How long should we give it though regarding his inconsistancy, hypothetically speaking, say we get a penalty on Tuesday against Bremen, Frank steps up and misses and then on Sunday against Liverfool we get another one at 0-0 with 5 minutes to go, would you want Lamps to take it then?? I don't think I would.

I agree entirely on the sharing out of the freekick duties, for one thing it keeps the opposition guessing and that can only be a good thing.

It's always tricky when a player who has been reliable with pens for so long, starts missing them. Trouble is Lamp's penalties haven't been great for a while - even some of the ones that have gone in have been VERY close things.

It's all very well saying let him keep taking them, but if that Charlton equaliser had not been disallowed, that would have been two more dropped points and the missed penalty would have cost us big time.

As we no longer have Eidur, who also used to take a good pen, I'd go for Ballack or Joey.

It's always tricky when a player who has been reliable with pens for so long, starts missing them. Trouble is Lamp's penalties haven't been great for a while - even some of the ones that have gone in have been VERY close things.

It's all very well saying let him keep taking them, but if that Charlton equaliser had not been disallowed, that would have been two more dropped points and the missed penalty would have cost us big time.

As we no longer have Eidur, who also used to take a good pen, I'd go for Ballack or Joey.

I couldn't have said it better. icon_wink.gif

how do we know joey can take them at all?

from his last 4 pens, he's missed 3- but before that I can remember only the west ham- carling cup one for england and for us. taking penalties is also a recognition of status and I think lampard deserves to continue taking them if he so chooses- in the long run insisting that someone else takes them could well be counterproductive... do we want to give a vote of no confidence to a player so integral to our game?

p.s. IMO it's a little sad that the focus on lamps is still mainly negative after the charlton game, where he was excellent- his passing and selection was better than it has been for possibly a year.

I am pretty sure that Charlton one was the only penalty he had missed since joining Chelsea prior to the Hungary one.

I am sure someone will be able to dig out the stats but I would reckon he has taken somewhere in the region of 15-20 for us so this means he has missed 2 in about say 17 for Chelsea and then 2 for England (not sure how many he has taken for England)

That, for now, is good enough for me to say he should keep taking them.

Obviously if he was to continue missing reasonably regularly then it may need rethinking however any change of taker at the moment would, in my opinion, be an error.

As everyone knows, penalty taking is all about confidence.

The best (and only) way for Lamps to get his confidence back is to step straight back up and put another one away.

If he was stipped of his responsibility for missing one penalty for Chelsea (the England ones don't count - completely different situations), I don't think he would have the confidence to ever take a penalty again.

On the other point - I agree about the free-kicks. It would be good to have a bit of variety. I think that Lamps's away-curling thunderbolts are getting a bit predictable.

Obviously Ballack and Sheva (along with Drogs and Geremi) are the other options - but personally, I would like to see Joe Cole get a bit more of a chance as well. Over his career, he hasn't had many opportunities, but he has scored a couple of crackers that I remember.

The call should be with Frank, if he wants to take the next pen then all well and good. However, if he passes the chance onto another player(and I would be very disapointed in him if he did) then I believe it should be Sheva, on the basis that he needs the chance to get his confidence up and scoring goals will do it, then we will see, sooner rather than later, the best goal scorer in the business.

I think Frank should be given one more chance. If he misses, then we need to put in someone else. This will hopefully spur Frankie on to show (in training) that he can still score from the spot. However, I wouldn't want this to destroy frankies confidence, so I feel that he shoudl be made aware of this before a game, just to put teh pressure on, see if he can cope.

Scott