Has Kenyon told the Truth?

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

we're a few days into the transfer season, and so far we have not been linked to anyone

before xmas we were linked by the press to heskey davies owen and a few others, and now all of a sudden nothing

usually during the transfer window we're linked to everyone and his mate that can kick a ball thats got a funny to pronounce name

kenyon said chelsea wouldnt be buying this transfer window, as for once he told the truth??

i know kenyon and the truth dont normally go in the same sentence, thats why i've put this in the rumours section

please discuss

we're a few days into the transfer season, and so far we have not been linked to anyone

before xmas we were linked by the press to heskey davies owen and a few others, and now all of a sudden nothing

usually during the transfer window we're linked to everyone and his mate that can kick a ball thats got a funny to pronounce name

kenyon said chelsea wouldnt be buying this transfer window, as for once he told the truth??

i know kenyon and the truth dont normally go in the same sentence, thats why i've put this in the rumours section

please discuss

i dont know where youve looked, but ive heard at least plenty of players linked already. lavezzi, arshavin, zhirkov, ben arfa and fabiano.

Has Kenyon ever told the truth???

To be honest, the fact that we're no longer being linked with the likes of Owen, Heskey & Davies has eased my blood pressure considerably!

LOL. Don't forget Downing Bluebeard ;)

In the last month or so we have been told by the press:

1) Funds will be made available for new players

2) We can only buy if we sell

3) We will not be buying at all

At the same time we have as usual been linked with plenty of players (perhaps less than usual thanks to Citeh). Whether the quotes are attributed to people at the club (e.g. Kenyon, Scolari) or not I believe none of it. Based on previous experience we have bought and sold players when we said we wouldn't and we have failed to buy players when we said we would. Until an actual transfer is confirmed we can speculate as much as we like but that is why we have a rumours section. Just 26 days more to go before we can forget all this again for a few months and get back to the football.

I think its a good thing that we, on here, have zero idea what the club is doing about new players

But if Kenyon has told the truth, he is a mug once more. The name of the game should be to keep clubs guessing. Even if we arent going to do anything until the summer, the key is not to let them or anyone else know that, so that when the bid does come in they dont know what the other options or what the plan B is. Or if we even have a plan B so that they panic and take it.

But I am sure Kenyon doesnt need me to explain this to him, what with his million dollar salary and all

Edited by TheWestwayWonder

Guys, i think we need to get our heads round the fact we are not signing anyone this transfer window.

Am I the only one who is not bothered whether we sign anyone during the January window? Although there are a few examples of a signing helping a club escape relegation, can anyone give me an example of when a signing has gone on to help a club win anything? Signings made by clubs chasing the title (and despite the doom and gloom expressed on this forum of late, we are challenging for the title!) at this point usually point to desperation and more often than not do not work (yes, Fergie signed Evra and Vidic mid-season but they did not help the Utd that season when we ran away with the title). The most famous example being when Keegan signed Asprilla for Newcastle, a signing that many believe cost Newcastle the title that year.

Our mid-season transfers since Roman took over have hardly been brilliant. Scott Parker? Jarosik? Maniche? Last season Ivanovic didn't play one game and nor did Di Santo and Anelka hardly set the world on fire (1 league goal). Perhaps it is a case of once bitten... Obviously, if a genuinely world class winger was available, we should try and sign him. But there ain't. Any decent player worth his salt will not move mid-season and even if they did they are likely to be cup-tied for Europe.

At the end of the season is the time to take stock and in all likelihood ship out a lot of players and bring in new blood. Until then we need to sit tight, blood a few youngsters by all means (not exactly likely given our recent history) but let's not make a panic buy.

I completely agree with BJD.

Chelsea will not buy anyone during the January window. Even the Wayne Bridge money will be retained to counter losses being made at CFC or elsewhere in the Abramovich empire.

LFS has clearly been told that we have a squad of World Class players and it is his job to get the best out of what he has already, instead of bleating about needing 2-3 more players.

Kenyon told us over 18 months ago that CFC MUST balance the books by 2010-11. This is the first step to doing so. We are being prepared to be less reliant on Roman's diminishing resources.

We must get used (again) to being a Club that deals in loans, cheapos and home produced talent.

Sorry to be so blunt, but in this current World Financial climate only an idiot would think that Football Clubs are exempt from strife.

Am I the only one who is not bothered whether we sign anyone during the January window? Although there are a few examples of a signing helping a club escape relegation, can anyone give me an example of when a signing has gone on to help a club win anything? Signings made by clubs chasing the title (and despite the doom and gloom expressed on this forum of late, we are challenging for the title!) at this point usually point to desperation and more often than not do not work (yes, Fergie signed Evra and Vidic mid-season but they did not help the Utd that season when we ran away with the title). The most famous example being when Keegan signed Asprilla for Newcastle, a signing that many believe cost Newcastle the title that year.

Our mid-season transfers since Roman took over have hardly been brilliant. Scott Parker? Jarosik? Maniche? Last season Ivanovic didn't play one game and nor did Di Santo and Anelka hardly set the world on fire (1 league goal). Perhaps it is a case of once bitten... Obviously, if a genuinely world class winger was available, we should try and sign him. But there ain't. Any decent player worth his salt will not move mid-season and even if they did they are likely to be cup-tied for Europe.

At the end of the season is the time to take stock and in all likelihood ship out a lot of players and bring in new blood. Until then we need to sit tight, blood a few youngsters by all means (not exactly likely given our recent history) but let's not make a panic buy.

I agree with all of what you have said but i do think we should be looking at bringing in another wide option. We have 4 players who have played out wide this season - Cole, Kalou, Malouda and an out of position Anelka. Cole is up and down form wise but deserves his place in the XI - its unfair to criticise Anelka when he is out of position - the other two are not good enough period.

Bringing someone else in, (it doesn't have to be a superstar or a player that costs us the world) someone who would give us another option, another body is something i certainly believe would be a help between now and May. We need something at the moment and to compare previous window signings such as Parker, Maniche and Jarosik as a reason for not bringing anybody in is wrong because they were players we simply did not need at the time and i felt were bought for the sake of it (Parker particularly). This season is different and we definitely need something, somebody.

I dont think it would be a panic buy but simply a good piece of business that would benefit the team.

All irrelevant because its not going to happen. And i have to say the team will be worse for it.

Come May i will be stunned if we have anything more than the FA Cup to show for season 08-09. And even then i dont fancy our chances at Roots Hall a week on Wed.

Edited by bjd

I agree with all of what you have said but i do think we should be looking at bringing in another wide option. We have 4 players who have played out wide this season - Cole, Kalou, Malouda and an out of position Anelka. Cole is up and down form wise but deserves his place in the XI - its unfair to criticise Anelka when he is out of position - the other two are not good enough period.

Is it beyond the wit of the management to put Scott Sinclair out wide, or has he gone off on loan again?

Is it beyond the wit of the management to put Scott Sinclair out wide, or has he gone off on loan again?

No he is still here.

Flirting between the bench and no-mans land. Im not convinced about SS, but he cannot be any worse than K or M so he should be worth an extended run. However as he didnt make the first XI for either the Burnley or Southend matches the management team dont seem to feel the same so that why i advocate bringing someone else in.

Still, expect to see SS if we are losing with 3 and a half mins to go on Sunday. Simply as a last throw of the dice and not tactically in any way.

Edited by bjd

I am not sure what Scolari would have to gain in not playing Scotty if he thought he was good enough,

He see's these players every day and tries things with them in training that we don't get to see, I would give him the benefit of the doubt that he can see if he thinks he is as good as Malouda or Kalou myself.

I can understand the frustration and often look at the way some of our players are playing and think I could do better but in all honesty I likely would be on my arse more than Ronaldo on ice.

I am ashamed to say that I believe we are a better team when Malouda plays and if he was replaced with a better player in his position I think we would be a real handful for any team.

while he is here and we haven't replaced him though, I would start him most games.

I think a better wide option would be Gaele Kakuta (spelling ??) I have watched him on CTV and his performances against Villa at Villa park last year and then Man Ure in this years Youth Cup were exceptional.

On the basis that if you are good enough - you are old enough, (see Wiltshire etc at Arse who incidentally would have played Kakuta in the First Team by now) It really shouldn't take a genius to work out that this lad has what it takes.

We will probably wait until he is about 24 before giving him a start.

I agree Coombsie.

This will probably come out wrong, so I will try and phrase is delicately, but I honestly don't think that we will win the title this year, and a small part of me kinda thinks that it would be be better for the club, long-term, if we fall away sooner rather than later so Scolari has the time to introduce a few youngsters like Kakuta, get the team playing the way he wants them to without the added pressure of every game being a 'must win,' and get the unity, cohesion and hunger back into the squad that has been lacking in the last couple of seasons.

Of course, if we now thump Man U on Sunday and get some momentum going, then I'll probably do a volte face and start being a bit more positive, but in all honesty I do think come May it will be a straight contest between the red scum for the title. There's something not quite right about us this season, and I think a number of areas need clarifying, strengthening and balancing before we can properly move on from the Jose era. In my opinion, that hangover is still lingering and the main question is whether Scolari has the cure.

I think a better wide option would be Gaele Kakuta (spelling ??) I have watched him on CTV and his performances against Villa at Villa park last year and then Man Ure in this years Youth Cup were exceptional.

On the basis that if you are good enough - you are old enough, (see Wiltshire etc at Arse who incidentally would have played Kakuta in the First Team by now) It really shouldn't take a genius to work out that this lad has what it takes.

We will probably wait until he is about 24 before giving him a start.

I agree Kakuta looks another good prospect but still stand by my feeling that if he looked good enough with the form of our players and the injuries this season Scolari would have used him.

Because Wenger would have given him first team experience although admirable is not really reason enough for him to be playing in front of established internationals in a team challenging for everything who's manager gets slated if they so much as Draw.

I am all for youngsters coming in when we have a lead and are comfortable and dont like that on those occasions Scolari may have missed a trick in using them but I still feel if they were good enough he would use them.

I imagine as soon as the Robinho signing never happened and Malouda/Kalou looked ordinary the firstthing Scolari did was look hard and long at some of our youngsters.

Guys, i think we need to get our heads round the fact we are not signing anyone this transfer window.

if that happens then kenyon will have told the truth for the 1st time in god knows how many years

i hope we do sign some just to prove he cant open his big fat manc gob without telling a porky

Am I the only one who is not bothered whether we sign anyone during the January window? Although there are a few examples of a signing helping a club escape relegation, can anyone give me an example of when a signing has gone on to help a club win anything?

Henrik Larrson