Players out of contact at the end of the season

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

http://www.goal.com/en/news/724/premier-le...ers-this-summer

Elsewhere, Chelsea's midfield could be considerably depleted with the potential departures of John Obi Mikel, Michael Ballack (who could be set to sign a performance-based pay-as-you-play deal), Carlo Cudicini and Mineiro.

The rest I can semi understand (especially Mineiro) but what the hell are we playing at with Mikel? He's absolute quality, give the lad a nice new contract asap please Mr Kenyon!

(I don't want to see Carlo or Ballack leave either fwiw, but Mikel is a crucial part of our team right now, and at just 21, could be someone who has a very long, and very succesful career at the club, hopefully anyways)

I think a structured wage deal is a good idea with Ballack, the man is class when he is fully fit and motivated,

maybe a nominal wage and good goal or performance bonuses is a good way to get the best out of him...in fact it would probobly be a good line to take with

Deco, Malouda and Drogba as well.

wouldn't be a bad idea to sling Mikel a Pen as soon as possible though with a decent wage rise.

Edited by Chippy

Give Carlo a new one year contract with some sort of option into a coaching role, if he wishes, after than one year. He may not play often but I'm sure he has a great influence in the dressing room.

Mikel should obviously be given a new contract and I doubt he'd demand more than 100k anyway. As with Ballack a pay-as-you-play type contract would be fine, if not send him back to Bayern on a free and bring in someone young.

We must definately sign Mikel on six-year deal! Maybe a bit too much but he is a crucial player and a top class youngster.

Ballack. He is a great player but he is getting on a bit. I don't see the point of pay-as-you-play because in a way it's like a trial, even though he's already a first teamer. I think if we sign anyone (we won't, Kenyon's a d***head!) then would he get in. I would easily drop Deco but Scolari won't.

A new contract for Mikel is a must and if efforts are not being made to secure that then everyone frmo Scolari through to Roman are cretins.

Personally I would let Ballack leave at the end of this season. I don't think we will get enough out of hum next season but having him as an option will just get in the way of the development of an alternative and a slightly more long term strategy.

A new contract for Mikel is a must and if efforts are not being made to secure that then everyone frmo Scolari through to Roman are cretins.

Personally I would let Ballack leave at the end of this season. I don't think we will get enough out of hum next season but having him as an option will just get in the way of the development of an alternative and a slightly more long term strategy.

Agreed.

With Essien back from injury, Ballack will hinder the development of Mikel in particular.

I know hindsight is an easy thing to call upon but looking at Diarra, now at Real Madrid, years after they sold Maka to us, things have sort of turned full circle.

What worries me as well is the likes of Joe Cole are yet to be offered new deals.