Player Ratings

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Hopefully we avoid The Red sh*te in the next round.

Ratings

Chelsea

Cech - 7 Some good saves by the big man, plus a few trademark flaps. Definitely regaining some of his aura of old.

Bosingwa - 8 MOM I like this guy. He has many faults defensively and was eaten a few times by the little lad that came on but he was always positive and imaginative in a way generally lacking in the team.

Terry - 6 Caught out for their goal although it was a brilliant goal.

Alex - 6 Average throughout

Cole - 7 Gave options whenever possible and solid in defense.

Mikel - 8 That's 4 games now. Particularly good second half.

Lampard - 7 Much better second half. Just give him the ball lads.

Essien - 7 Great to see him back. Grew into the game and is perfectly suited to the modern midfield.

Anelka - 7 Who placer le rocket dans le derriere de fairy gateaux Francaise?

Drogba - 7 Wants a Champions League winner's medal methinks.

Juventus

Ballack - 7 MOM Excellent, particularly in the first half when he never failed to find a team mate. Still man of the match for Juventus despite the misplaced pass which led to our second goal.

There is nothing better on a football field than a defender with many defensive faults is there.

I am amazed that people are giving Bosingwa MOTM - as an attacking wing back he had an OK game (although when he did lose the ball in an advanced positon his effort to get back into positon was as impressive as a Norwegian hacky sack tournament) but as a defensive one he did a mean impression of Del Horno without legs.

Agree on JT - far from his finest game and caught out on a number of occasions (the goal being the obvious one)

I actually thought Bosingwa did well, in fact he improved considerably since Hiddink arrived.

I'm surprised, not for the first time, that people rate Lampard's performance, it seems that he can do no wrong. I personally thought he was nowhere near his best to put it mildly but unlike the usual scapegoat Ballack Frank more often than not gets a free pass.

but unlike the usual scapegoat Ballack Frank more often than not gets a free pass.

equally unlike the usual scapgoat Ballack Frank more often than not gets a pass to a team mate.

Edited by Liam

equally unlike the usual scapgoat Ballack Frank more often than not gets a pass to a team mate.

Quite right. I think if you watched the game again you will see that Lamps perhaps lost the ball 2 or 3 times. For Ballack you can times that by 10 and some.

Sorry Liam, but I think you're well off the mark with Ballack. He had a total stinker.

He lost possession more times than I can recall and seemed to be hell bent on getting in everyone else's way. What exactly is the point of the guy?

Sorry Liam, but I think you're well off the mark with Ballack. He had a total stinker.

He lost possession more times than I can recall and seemed to be hell bent on getting in everyone else's way. What exactly is the point of the guy?

Your still P*ssed aren't you Mike ? :badge:

Ballack had a decent enough second half but first half he really was poor. Lovely play for Drogba's goal though.

Can you just confirm Liam that you weren't taking the piss with Mikel? (I still find it hard to tell) I thought he was particularly good in the second half too.

I agree with all of this- mikel's best two games in the last few months have both come against juventus. was good to see him carry the ball forward a few times.

Cech - solid as ever, questionable judgement on the ball outside the box though - 7

Bosingwa - also solid, worked hard and played very well. It's good to see him on form again - 8

Cashley - Somewhat unremarkable but good going forward - 6

JT - Solid as ever - 6

Alex - Shaky, had an off day - 5

Mikel - Very solid, won many of his midfield battles and possibly kept us in it in the first half - 8 MOTM

Lampard - Anonymous for a lot of the game, as they had at least one man on him at all times, but creative when he was free - 6

Ballack - Another pretty dour performance, lost the ball frequently and didn't look like he could be bothered - 4

Essien - Didn't look entirely comfortable on the wing, but still excellent to see him back. Very good considering he's been out for 6 months. - 7

Drogba - Solid, like the lion we expect him to be - 8

Anelka - Largely ineffective in the first half but toiled away a lot in the second and played extremely well - 5 (first half) / 8 (second half)

Subs

Belletti - Gave away one goal with a reckless handball, set up another with a great cross, then spurned another easy chance. Erm... I don't know what rating to give him.

Carvalho - Only on for a couple of minutes, but solid for the time he was on. Good to see him back - 7

Ballack had a decent enough second half but first half he really was poor. Lovely play for Drogba's goal though.

Can you just confirm Liam that you weren't taking the piss with Mikel? (I still find it hard to tell) I thought he was particularly good in the second half too.

There is a 15 minutes spell in the 2nd hald where Ballack didn't touch the ball from around 56th 57th minute onwards. I'm not sure if he touched prior to that in the 2nd half.

Way out of his depth. There must be a play me when fit clause cos I don't understand how he gets a game on this form, I really don't.

Edited by BLUENUT

Just to clarify I thought Ballack was Juve's best player. I also thought Mikel played well particularly in the second half. Although to compare his performance to Roy Keane's as Andy did in another thread is strectching it a bit.

Just to clarify I thought Ballack was Juve's best player. I also thought Mikel played well particularly in the second half. Although to compare his performance to Roy Keane's as Andy did in another thread is strectching it a bit.

Yeah your right, he never punched anyone I take it back :lol:

Liam, exactly which Red sh*te are you hoping we avoid in the next round, there's alot of it about.

The Red sh*te of Merseysh*te Midlandblue. It hurts me to say this, believe me my teeth are gritted, but I thought they were excellent last night. While I'm at it Stevens was particularly good.

I'm off now to wash my hands.

Liam you forgot to give a rating to Malouda.

Personally, I'd give him a 10. The way he sat on the bench for the whole 90 minutes was superb.

Probably his best performance for Chelsea to date.

Quality! :lol: