MOTM in the game where we hammered the Dippers

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Who was your MOTM vs the Richard Madeleys  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your MOTM vs the Richard Madeleys?

• Cech
    • A Cole
    • Terry
    • Alex
    • Ivanovic
    • Essien
    • Ballack
    • Lampard
    • Drogba
    • Kalou
    • Malouda
    • Anelka

What a night!!

I wouldn't just offer Ivanocic a new contract. I would build a bloody statue of him in the Shed and I would let Lofty place the first stone!!

Only player who I would consider as well as Ivanovic is Essien who had Gerrard in his pocket for 90 minutes.

It would be easy to give my vote to Ivanovic because he scored the two goals but everyone played really well and some were immense tonight. Drogba battled with the entire scouser defence all game (until he was brought off anyway) and I would say that without him we might not have won. He "only" scored one goal but it was because of him we had strength up front and won corners.

And Essien was great too. Did anyone see Gerrard apart from when he took corners and freekicks?

Difficult. Really difficult.

Can't argue with Ivanovic. I had already pointed him out as a top performer before he scored.

Would have said Kalou up until he got taken out by Aurelio, but he was more subdued after that.

Special mentions to Essien and Drogba (and even Malouda!) and the rock at the back, Cech, who were all immense.

He scored 2 goals playing 'out' of position, but he gets my vote for the sheer effort of the guy, I didnt see him lose one tackle, he didnt stop running, not once.

Arise Sir Ivan, you are a legend.

I have ben saying for ages NV of manu rates him so highly,bossy aint gona walk back in at RB,but my MOM is Essien if he hadn't ended the match 13 stone heavier,by way of having Gerrard in his arse pocket,could of been a diferent result.he was awsome

I've just come on the forums happy as Larry and now I am stunned. Totally shocked. How can anyone, anyone, not give MOTM to Michael Essien. He was staggering.

He took on St Steven Gerrard, in his own backyard, on one of those "famous Anfield european nights" chewed him up and shat the gristle and bones out his rear end. I had to keep checking, just to make sure Gerrard was on the pitch.

Ivanovich was excellent, (though he did make the initial mistake in the lead up to their goal), Drogba led the line brillantly but should have had a hat-trick, Lampard was woefully average by his usually high standards, and Malouda put in a great ball for the third, the only thing of substance he really did all night.

I don't want to appear churlish after such a great result, but how on earth can you consider anyone before Essien?

I've just come on the forums happy as Larry and now I am stunned. Totally shocked. How can anyone, anyone, not give MOTM to Michael Essien. He was staggering.

He took on St Steven Gerrard, in his own backyard, on one of those "famous Anfield european nights" chewed him up and shat the gristle and bones out his rear end. I had to keep checking, just to make sure Gerrard was on the pitch.

Ivanovich was excellent, (though he did make the initial mistake in the lead up to their goal), Drogba led the line brillantly but should have had a hat-trick, Lampard was woefully average by his usually high standards, and Malouda put in a great ball for the third, the only thing of substance he really did all night.

I don't want to appear churlish after such a great result, but how on earth can you consider anyone before Essien?

i did

Essien did shut him up, but Gerrard looked well off form,and Lampard was busy keeping Alonso quiet, they both did great jobs, but we needed goals, and up popped the Serb with the goods. Surely you must of considered Ivanovic before voting ?

Nope. And the goals comment isn't the old JFH argument all over again?

Coco, I'm not normally big on stats but did you notice any of the match stats popping up on SKY during the match? Passing - Essien. Distance covered - Essien. It just confirmed what I was watching he was everywhere. He was ... A.W.E.S.O.M.E.

I read someone on one of the other threads say he didn't do anything going forwards. FFS, he was the reason we were able to go forward so freely!! And I lost count of the number of headers he won on the edge of our box.

I'd like that Dr Gillian Mckeith to have Essien on "You Are What You Eat" tonight. Could you imagine it? Dr. Gillian looking through Essien's number two's:

"Oh. Michael. That's no a gud sign. Bits of a number 8 shirt. And there's a dodgy fringe. You've been eating Gerrards haven't you? That's no very gud for your digestion. Far too slimy and greasy."

Chelsea were a great team tonight. Essien attacked as well as keeping Gerrard quiet although the talk was gerrard was injured. Ballack, Malouda and Kalou played great football. Alex very strong in the air and ashley cole was solid.

Drogba a powergul game although his touch and finish let him down at times.

In fact man for man and as a team we were clearly superior tonight.

For man of the match though it has to be Ivanovic, you can call his second goal routine if you want but the first was so deterimined and his defending was first class in my opinion. Much stronger defensively than any other right back we have played for many years.

I wholeheartedly agree- his finest hour, probably in his entire career so far... was everywhere, and gave ballack and lampard so much freedom (with which they cut liverpool apart), and managed to support them as well. just an immense performance... people talking about marking- that was not marking, marking is to follow a single player around, not singlehandedly push all of them back. we saw a tidal wave tonight.

Very very tough call between Ivanovic and Essien, extremely hard, but I have to go with Ivanovic for scoring not only his first goal but getting his second in the same night for the Blues, and at Anfield! I would be quite happy to keep Ivan as our RB for the rest of the season, I have been critical of Bossie's lack oof attacking prowess, but Ivan gives us that, and great coverage in defence too

Essien was immense, and Malouda with the two assists and decent attacking against a top team was great to see....just when I'd admitted I'd lost faith in him.....I'll keep thinking that, so he can hopefully prove me wrong!

It was a close call between Ivanovic and Essien (who was immense), but the importance of Ivanovic's goals and his overall defending just pipped it for me so he got my vote.

Totally how I see it too.

Essien was immense. Throughout the game I kept thinking blimey Gerrard has been invisible, but didn't want to say it out loud in case he popped with one of his "trademark European night goals". But Essien not only kept him totally quiet but also started a number of our attacks as well. Watch and learn Mikel.

But it still has to be Ivanovic for me. Taking into account he hasn't played a whole lot of games for us - the way he slotted in was brilliant. He was steady throughout and I wouldn't blame the Liverpool goal on him as he was under pressure and it was good play after that from Kuyt and of course Torres.

Two great headers. The shear determination that he showed to win that header for the first goal was something that made you proud he's a Chelsea player.

Ivanoic the MOM no doubt. However I believe the effect Essien had, will have a huge physological impact on the second leg. The ease in wich he contained and nulified Gerrard and the whole Liverpool attack , will force the Fat Spanish comes up with a differnet game plan in the return leg. The way we dominated game, we should be 'disappointed' with the margin at the end.