Youngsters

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I love going back to great moments of Chelsea, this time I watched our great comeback against Stoke and it made me think.

With Scolari still in charge, we were 1nil down and we brought on Stoch and Di Santo. Stoch looked very lively out on the right and had some key moments late. While Di Santo somehow won a header in the box to setup the equaliser. And from memory he was very good in the air during that game. I am really disappointed with how the rest of the season turned out for these boys. Not many chances with the first team at all and throw in Mancienne, we continue to not give youth a chance. Everytime we sign a youngster, he is apparently one of the best talents in the world. Yet we see none of these in the 1st team. e.g. Kakuta (love this kid), Tejera, Stoch, Woods, Sahar DiSanto and Sinclair. Probably more examples aswell. Now most of these kids are 19/20 so to expect to break through is a pretty hard order but thats not what Im asking. With the change to 7 bench players it should provide more opportunity for youth. When games are sewn up early, these kids should be brought on. Therefore I think we should have a policy that 1 or 2 of these kids should always be in the team list on the bench. And when we do have games won, they should be automatically brought on instead of an older player. Nothing gets a club and its fans more excited than a talented youngster playing well.

Would love to see Di Santo loaned out to another premier league club next season but I don't think he has shown enough for anybody to be interested. And Mancienne will need injuries to play and I hope we can hold on to him.

What are others thoughts on our youth development or lack of? Any other processes we can do to try and develop youth and still compete in all 4 comps?

Edited by Bjmel1

I love going back to great moments of Chelsea, this time I watched our great comeback against Stoke and it made me think.

With Scolari still in charge, we were 1nil down and we brought on Stoch and Di Santo. Stoch looked very lively out on the right and had some key moments late. While Di Santo somehow won a header in the box to setup the equaliser. And from memory he was very good in the air during that game. I am really disappointed with how the rest of the season turned out for these boys. Not many chances with the first team at all and throw in Mancienne, we continue to not give youth a chance. Everytime we sign a youngster, he is apparently one of the best talents in the world. Yet we see none of these in the 1st team. e.g. Kakuta (love this kid), Tejera, Stoch, Woods, Sahar DiSanto and Sinclair. Probably more examples aswell. Now most of these kids are 19/20 so to expect to break through is a pretty hard order but thats not what Im asking. With the change to 7 bench players it should provide more opportunity for youth. When games are sewn up early, these kids should be brought on. Therefore I think we should have a policy that 1 or 2 of these kids should always be in the team list on the bench. And when we do have games won, they should be automatically brought on instead of an older player. Nothing gets a club and its fans more excited than a talented youngster playing well.

Would love to see Di Santo loaned out to another premier league club next season but I don't think he has shown enough for anybody to be interested. And Mancienne will need injuries to play and I hope we can hold on to him.

What are others thoughts on our youth development or lack of? Any other processes we can do to try and develop youth and still compete in all 4 comps?

To be fair to Scolari, he did play some of the youngsters, but most of his decisions were abysmal.

The reason Hiddink didn't play any of the youngsters is because he didn't need to, he was brought in with the task of securing the Champions League and he did so...it wasn't his job to help the youngsters develop and that would be the task of the next manager anyway.

I remember the Stoke match...one of the most memorable of the season...Lamps...Belletti...great match and a good contribution from Di Santo and Stoch too...in fact that's the last time i really remember them play. Next season will surely see our youngsters getting some first team action. Ancelotti will be expected to bring through some Youth (despite the fact that he might spend big in the summer) as he's a long term manager and can't spend big every season.

I certainly expect to see Mancienne given a few starts, Di Santo and Stoch brought on to close out games against the likes of Hull and Burnley. Kakuta could see some action (football) if he recovers from his broken leg. Maybe Sinclair, but I have a feeling he might be loaned or sold...would be good to see him in a couple of games though.

...and err if we sign Pato then he'll be on the bench pushing for a starting place.

Considering how much we've spent on our Youth system (I don't know how much but I'm assuming a lot), I wouldn't mind the early stages of the Carling Cup primarily featuring the above players

Edited by jordanl5182

To be fair to Scolari, he did play some of the youngsters, but most of his decisions were abysmal.

The reason Hiddink didn't play any of the youngsters is because he didn't need to, he was brought in with the task of securing the Champions League and he did so...it wasn't his job to help the youngsters develop and that would be the task of the next manager anyway.

I remember the Stoke match...one of the most memorable of the season...Lamps...Belletti...great match and a good contribution from Di Santo and Stoch too...in fact that's the last time i really remember them play. Next season will surely see our youngsters getting some first team action. Ancelotti will be expected to bring through some Youth (despite the fact that he might spend big in the summer) as he's a long term manager and can't spend big every season.

I certainly expect to see Mancienne given a few starts, Di Santo and Stoch brought on to close out games against the likes of Hull and Burnley. Kakuta could see some action (football) if he recovers from his broken leg. Maybe Sinclair, but I have a feeling he might be loaned or sold...would be good to see him in a couple of games though.

...and err if we sign Pato then he'll be on the bench pushing for a starting place.

Considering how much we've spent on our Youth system (I don't know how much but I'm assuming a lot), I wouldn't mind the early stages of the Carling Cup primarily featuring the above players

Agree entirely mate, although I wouldn't mind seeing the above mentioned players involved in ALL Carling cup matches. Would love to see them come on when we are 2 goals up as well.

Agree entirely mate, although I wouldn't mind seeing the above mentioned players involved in ALL Carling cup matches. Would love to see them come on when we are 2 goals up as well.

Most definitely. The likes of Stoch and Sinclair should be given starting places most definitely, then Di Santo to take Drogba/Anelka/Villa's (:P) place midway through the 2nd half.

I agree with Carling Cup, It amazes me how Arsenal always field a youth team early and united using squad players and talented youngsters. It works two ways aswell as giving older players a rest and developing youngsters. As far as I see it for next year, Mancienne will have less than 10 starts had 1 start last year. Thats even with injuries to almost all our defenders. Di Santo had no starts and will probs have under 5 because of at the moment Anelka, Drogba, Kalou(emergency Striker) and a signing in front of him. I can't see any other youngster currently in the squad getting a look in. Just a bit disappointing, in my opinion. Im not saying make the team really young because we all know experience campaigners win titles. Remember it is almost exactly the same starting 11 as when the Special One left.

I think that it's exciting that we have such a great group of youngsters threatening the first team. I know that Guus never really played any youth, other than Mancienne a couple of times and Di Santo I think was sent on for about 2 minutes against Liverpool too. However, I still maintain that Guus's job was to come in, rebuild a belief in the team, and stop us from failing to qualify for Europe. Which he did, and then some; let's be honest, the FA Cup was a tremendous bonus.

However, for him to do what he did in such a short period of time, i don't think any of the youngsters were really in the plan. Use what you know, what you are familiar with, and build a team capable of holding on to their position. Adding untested youth into that isn't the answer.

Now, next season I really hope Lotti gives them a chance. The 7 subs, an entire season, some extra CL games, some Carling and FA Cup matches. I think it's a great time to try out some of the kids mentioned. There are so many exciting prospects, but I feel Sinclair might be moved on for good. I'd like to think Stoch, Nouble, Tejera, Woods, Mellis etc all start seeing more time. And Kakuta...well, if Lamps and joey Cole are going to ressies matches to see him play....that's exciting news.

Scott

Is Mancienne going to get a shout now that Ricky Carvalho has started being blited by injuries, or is Ancelotti going to bring someone else in?

Well it seems likely Carvalho will be leaving and I, for one, hope we don't bring in a replacement. In Terry, Alex and Ivanovic we have three centre halves who are as good as any of our rivals options and in Mancienne we have a youngster who has excelled at every level he has played at so far and surely deserves to be promoted to being one of our first choice four. If we spend any money on a centre half I will surrender any hope that talented youngsters can break into our first team squad.

Manchester utd gave Evans a chance when injuries forced their hand and he hasn'r let them down. I think Mancienne is a better player than Evans so I see no reason why we should bring in a player who would be preferred to him.

The funny thing is that I remember being critical of Scolari for not playing the kids more and not learning from the Stoke game that it could be a successful tactic. Then Hiddink went on and won game after game without using them at all. But the difference was that Hiddink was fortunate to have the players mostly stay healthy. The bench that day against Stoke consisted of: Cudicini, Ivanovic, Belletti, Mancienne, Kakuta, Stoch, Di Santo. It was hardly a case of LFS putting faith in the youngsters. He had to change SOMETHING and his only attacking options were the kids. When Drogba and Essien came back into the fold, the kids were no longer needed.

At any rate, I too would like to see them get more of a chance. Especially Mancienne. Sell Carvalho and don't buy a CB. No need to have 5 starting quality CBs. They'll all just get unhappy when they can't see the field. Hard to see where Stoch and Di Santo might fit in with talk of new attackers being purchased but I think they've each done enough to warrant the occasional first-team match.

I would hope to see Mancienne feature more next season - but only if he gets that stupid f**king hair cut!!

What are you trying to do to our team!!!???? Everyone knows the style of your hair defines how good a footballer you are! Look at Malouda, Adebayor and Fellaini. The moment people start cutting hair things go very wrong.

If I was managing the team, I'd make this complsory:

bill.jpg

What are you trying to do to our team!!!???? Everyone knows the style of your hair defines how good a footballer you are! Look at Malouda, Adebayor and Fellaini. The moment people start cutting hair things go very wrong.

If I was managing the team, I'd make this complsory:

bill.jpg

The longer the hair, the better you play? :D

I would hope to see Mancienne feature more next season - but only if he gets that stupid f**king hair cut!!

Wow...it's rare to see someone so worked up about someone else's haircut. :D

Did his hair spill a drink on you at the pub, steal your money or just kick you in the groin? :D

I can't wait to see these youngsters play more, but this reminded me of Scolari's quote:"It's a normal situation, for these games I chose other players," said Scolari, who opted for youngsters Miroslav Stoch and Franco Di Santo in the two games that Drogba missed.

I have to follow the idea of the board and my idea for the future of Chelsea. It was my choice not to have Drogba but I don't have anything against him. I am the coach, it was my choice and the two young kids offered me more (against Stoke)."

I loved seeing Stoch and Di Santo play, but in hindsight I find that quote very funny, given the form Drogba had after he started playing again.

I disagree. Nothing gets a club and its fans more excited than winning. If we don't feel that our youngsters are ready yet, we shouldn't just toss them out there so certain fans will be happy.

Im sorry winning is implied. Winning isn't everything, its the only thing. :) . My question is, how do you know that they are ready?? Surely training can only show you so much but until you get in a match pressure situation you won't know. Therefore to give them a better chance to succeed (obviously only very few make the grade) play them when we have the game won or against very weak opposition in the Carling Cup. Im not saying play 4 or 5 kids at once, put the kid that they think is good enough to get a squad number on when we a 3 nil up with 30mins to go or go with 2 or 3 in the Carling.

oh god, what a day that stoke game was. When Lamps scored I nearly leapt through the roof.

I agree with the OP's sentiment. Games like this demonstrated a clear message that some of our younger players were ready for bigger minutes and they never got them.

Obviously we arent privy to what goes on in training and the football minds at this club are better than ours. But on that day, Stoch looked to have been part of a contingent that saved our season by working ferociously from the minute they were put on the pitch. This was at the height of the frustration with Kalouda, and still, nothing came of it in the long run.

Everyone rips on Arnesen and are quick to dismiss him when it comes to what he has done (or hasnt, in their opinion) while here. I would argue that the talent is quite clearly in these players. Its up to us to get a coach who has the courage, vision and balls to play them when and where they are capable of contributing to a successful season. I hope and pray Ancelotti is that man.

Yep, spot on TWWW. For the first time in...er...ever, we seem to have 4/5 youngsters who genuinely might have a future in the first team, and at least derserve a shot, so fingers crossed Carlo is keen, and given permission, to give them this chance. Please.