Man United accept £80m bid from Madrid for Ronaldo

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Well, that'll be Ribery to them then. It has also made our negotiations for Pato/Aguero etc a lot harder, as all their clubs will be waiting to see if United are interested in splashing the cash in their direction, which would further push up the price.

If only we'd moved quicker....

I did not see that coming - expectations were he would go there next year.

Crazy money, but he is possibly the best player in the world at the moment and Real don't seem to know the meaning of "scarce resources".

He shouldn't have much trouble adjusting to a club every bit as pompous, arrogant and megalomaniac as he is.

Of course, the good news for us is that our main title rivals lose their best player of the past 4-5 seasons and their main goalscorer. That being said, I am sure they won't be stuck with their heads up their butts and are already on the way to signing a comparable replacement - most probably Ribery. I guess thats one player we can put rumours to bed about.

Overall, good news for us and I want to see how that Galactico team will do next season.

mmm if we have interest in ribery the competition becomes even more serious.

madrid aren't yet done in the market either they will buy again.

what I think we should take from these transfers is that we now have to re-evaluate what players are "worth". I'd hate to see us lose out on our targets (whoever they are) because over issues over the fees. ronaldo will be replaced, but it is a good chance to catch up and have a real go at the title.

p.s.

in spain you are only allowed to register 25 players (plus youth players) in the league. this is the main reason why madrid have to sell, because they won't have enough free spaces. as a result, despite a strong season robben has been effectively transfer listed (rumoured to be as little as £8m- IMO worth a punt alongside in addition to our other targets) along with a few other attacking players at that club.

True, with Kaka and Ronaldo at the club, Robben and a few others are pretty much done, unless they manage to scrape onto the bench, which i doubt they would be content with.

Whether we want him back is another question, but for all his faults 8-10M for Robben is a much, much better deal than 60M for Ribery.

United want a winger/forward, so im hoping that they might stay away from Pato/Aguero, although I fear that the latter could well fit into that mould.

Given the choice of United or CFC, I do worry that most players would pick the former, so we need to get our arse in gear.

Personally, id rather he stayed. he is just one player after all.

with this money Utd can buy two £40 million players and make their team even stronger than with Ronaldo in it.

I dont see this is good news at all for Chelsea, not least because we now have another rival in mix for getting a big name player.

Still if this is what it take for Ronaldo to finally climb out of Ashley Cole's pocket, you cant blame him.

Edited by bjd

I definitely wouldn't mind a cheeky bid for van der Vaart. Real got him on the cheap, we could get him even cheaper if we want to. With Kaka and Snejder already there, I don't see him having any playing time.

I definitely wouldn't mind a cheeky bid for van der Vaart. Real got him on the cheap, we could get him even cheaper if we want to. With Kaka and Snejder already there, I don't see him having any playing time.

I'd rather see us make a bif dor Sneijder, although it's quite unlikely that they would sell. Van der Vaart would be a good player if he could stay fit. Not sure how he's done at Real. He didn't play all that much last season, but I don't know if it was because of injuries or because he's not rated there?

Has any one justified how Real are going to make this money back & what bloody banks is lending them the money; reckon it is Santander. It will all end in tears. It might have worked in the past with the Galacticos but it is a Recession! Why is Platini quiet? funny thing is if they go bust which they will in a matter of time, Man Utd might only have recouped half of the fees.

Our friendly ManU fan was obviously too busy providing rumours for us to spot the big one at his own club! This shouldn’t make any difference to Tevez’s exit, as we are told that they have already offered him a ’realistic’ deal and the situation has now become more a matter of principle than anything to do with finance, but it does mean that we can expect another snubbing when Ribery ‘slips through our fingers’ in the next few days. The rest of the cash, massive debt permitting, will more than likely go on Benzema with Aulas driving as hard a bargain as he can.

Okay I will not say this too often...

But what an amzing bit of business by Man Utd ! fair play to them. If Arnesen is so good why have we not got the next young bright star in Europe for next to nothing to nuture and sell for a massive profit ?

€85million, jesus , he's worth almost as much as Newcastle. F***ing madness.

Yeah, it's pretty mad alright. Who is going to pay that much for Newcastle? :)

Seriously though...during the mad two summers £85mil got us Robben, Makelele, Drogba, Cech, Carvalho and Joe Cole. I know we spent more than £85mil during those seasons, but I just wanted to point out how many top class players we got for the same money. We did spend a lot of money on players, but where are the critics now?

Let's see if they strengthen their defense.

Yeah, it's pretty mad alright. Who is going to pay that much for Newcastle? :)

Seriously though...during the mad two summers £85mil got us Robben, Makelele, Drogba, Cech, Carvalho and Joe Cole. I know we spent more than £85mil during those seasons, but I just wanted to point out how many top class players we got for the same money. We did spend a lot of money on players, but where are the critics now?

Let's see if they strengthen their defense.

they have garay they can recall from loan (I think)... but it's not in the perez 'business model' (which is flimsier than kate moss)- they sign the big players which gets him into power, and the players pay back over 50% of their fee due to aggressive marketing.

defenders don't fit into it. not that they won't sign defenders, but the system is not primarily a sporting one.

Okay I will not say this too often...

But what an amzing bit of business by Man Utd ! fair play to them. If Arnesen is so good why have we not got the next young bright star in Europe for next to nothing to nuture and sell for a massive profit ?

I wouldn't say £12mil was "next to nothing" at the time. Of course it now seems like pennies compared to the money ManU will get if the deal goes through.

Edited by Maksimov

they have garay they can recall from loan (I think)... but it's not in the perez 'business model' (which is flimsier than kate moss)- they sign the big players which gets him into power, and the players pay back over 50% of their fee due to aggressive marketing.

defenders don't fit into it. not that they won't sign defenders, but the system is not primarily a sporting one.

The whole "Zidanes y Pavones" model actually has sporting merit.

It's pretty much the ideal model for a football club; A club with a first team of super-stars backed up by squad players from the youth system. I'd say it's an ideal many Chelsea fans, including Abramovich, would hold.

The problem last time, obviously, was its execution. You can't have all your superstars in attack with Francisco Pavon and Raul Blanco in defense!

Goodbye and good riddance. Here's hoping that some of the money will be going towards paying off the Glazer's debt.

We really need to pull our finger out and get any potential signings wrapped up.

NOW! I hate waking up every morning to hear us linked with Burdisso, Bruno Alves, Seedorf, Pirlo et al players we dont need or should have bought 6 years ago. I really hope we have already done some business and keeping it hush, but knowing Chelsea well...

I am still very Puzzled about this Arnesen dude its been 2-3 seasons and we are still waiting on the next big thing OR is it the scouts not doing there jobs. Why cant we seem to get/gamble on the next Messi, Ronaldo, Pato but want to buy them 2 years later after someone else has taken the risk.