Joe Cole surely to find himself in the center this year...

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

If Joe is fit my tip is that we'll see him tried as a #10 behind the strikers early in the season. I'm not 100% sure he'll be able to do it to Fat Carlo's ball-keeping satisfaction, but let's face it, if he put up with the often remarkable selfishness of kaka, he might be able to show some patience for Joe too.

........................Cech............................

xxxxxx........Terry......Alex.........Cashley

......................XXXXXX..........................

............Lampard......Ballack...................

........................Joey.............................

................Drogba......XXXXX..................

It's tough to make anything else out of the current squad I can see Ancelotti playing, but judging by early sounds it seems we'll sign a few players...

It's a big season for Joe, some might say make or break.

One thing in his favour, and this may sound strange, is the fact that Gus has left. By this I mean, if Gus was still manager he would not have seen Joe play last season and Joe might well have fallen behind in this seasons pecking order. But now that Carlo has arived everyone is in the same boat and will all need to prove themselves.

It's good to see a Pauly post - it's been a while. And for the first time ever I totally agree, Joe should and hopefully will get a chance in what should be his best position. If he get's the chance - is he good enough????

It's good to see a Pauly post - it's been a while. And for the first time ever I totally agree, Joe should and hopefully will get a chance in what should be his best position. If he get's the chance - is he good enough????

Not sure if he is but we can wait and see. Not that im convinced he will get the opportunity in the middle anyway.

And yes, Pauly is back. two posts and two references to 'Fat Carlo'.

It might be a long season.

Not sure if he is but we can wait and see. Not that im convinced he will get the opportunity in the middle anyway.

And yes, Pauly is back. two posts and two references to 'Fat Carlo'.

It might be a long season.

Wow... and he returns to a fancy new multi-post-quoting system!

heh- there was also a third most... a joke about that sarkozy footstool that either wasn't at all funny or nobody seemed to get :rolleyes:

It was a joy to see Ancelotti speak English, I hope he produces many more Englian for my amusement.

Anyhow- back on topic. The problem with Joe in that position, is that often a very large percentage of the attacking play goes through that player, and, percentage-wise, joe has always been a frustrating decision maker with the ball so I certainly wouldn't want to give every attacking/counter attacking ball to him as I would to kaka... Personally I don't think he'll be ideal, but looking at what else is available at the moment, he might be the best option!

Of course JC can play that role but then I would say that wouldnt I?

Prior to his injury, I think Joey was putting in decentish performances for us but for England, where he does seem to have a bit of a more "free role", think he was even more effective. I think his decision making has improved greatly and he can often open up defences with a pass or cross. And lets face it, no-one in the current squad comes close to him for sheer skill and ball control.

Only snag at the mo, is the long lay-off and him getting married and having a honeymoon. Saw a glimpse of him at the training ground earlier in the week and he looked as though he could lose a few pounds and fitness / stamina has never been one pf Joe's strengths but I guess he's working on it - I certainly hope so?!!

I think that's largely a myth, the idea that his decision making on the ball improved under Jose. I would agree that he works a lot harder for the team, his positioning is better and he makes sure he does his defensive duties, but on the ball he's pretty much incorrigible. I think the Fat Man will help him with that though- he'll be a great coach for Joe I think..

I think that's largely a myth, the idea that his decision making on the ball improved under Jose.

I wouldn't say under Jose - more since Jose moved on and as I say, even more so for England under Capello. Not saying he chooses the right ball EVERY time, but then who does? (well except Iniesta!!).

Edited by Nibs

If Joe is fit my tip is that we'll see him tried as a #10 behind the strikers early in the season. I'm not 100% sure he'll be able to do it to Fat Carlo's ball-keeping satisfaction, but let's face it, if he put up with the often remarkable selfishness of kaka, he might be able to show some patience for Joe too.

It's tough to make anything else out of the current squad I can see Ancelotti playing, but judging by early sounds it seems we'll sign a few players...

I'd be very surprised if we line up in that formation. I'd think we would be more likely to go with the 4-3-3, in which case Joe's opportunity will come on the right.

It's a big season for him and he needs first and foremost to keep fit. He has missed the best part of 2 out of the last 3 seasons. Competition will be stiff for a place with our central midfielders and Anelka, Zirkhov and Malouda.

I cant see Ancelotti changing the 433 I might be wrong but why change it, we were easy the best in Europe under Guus, Joe can play wide in that formation.

The other thing he might look at is when we went 442 against Fulham under Guus.

I know he will want to make his own mark and I reckon being famed of building teams around his personnel I dont think he will look to Joe to build the team round, probably round the spine of JT, Frank, Drogba.. so I see 433 myself.

I'd be happy to see that formation with 2 up front and it's been too long since joey played in his proper position

but if ballack makes it into that midfield in place of essien and mikel (or even deco) then i'm going to pull my f*cking hair out

I'm suprised you've XXXXX-ed Bosingwa and Essien's place in the squad.

Other than that, I defintitely see Zhirkov having an important role this season and can't see us playing a narrow game again as we tried and failed under Scolari doing just that. Thw width provided by Bosingwa and Ashley was not good enough and left some gaps in the defence as well.

And please don't call Ashley "Cashley", he deserves some respect for what he produced last season and we are not like Arsenal supporters who Boo their own players.

I've actually been wondering how we might use Joe Cole myself. We have quite a few talented midfielders on our roster, even without the potential addition of Pirlo and if we continue to use a three-man midfield it will inevitably see people left out or shunted out of position.

We can near enough guarantee Lampard and Essien will have a nailed-on starting spot, which leaves Mikel, Ballack, Joe Cole, Deco and Malouda out, and that's without mentioning any of the youngsters we have coming through.

Well, I hope he will be given a chance in the middle. I had been hoping to see that ever since we stopped dogmatic adherence to the 4-3-3 which had worked so well, but of course Joe has been injured off and on and has never regained that same sparkle he had when he was part of the Robben-Duff-Cole wing carousel.

But given what he has shown in the past, ive always thought him seeing the ball as much as possible would make him even better

............Lampard......Ballack........................

That team has absolutely no width and as someone said is the main reason why we failed under scolari. I agree Ballack should go as and maybe Mikel in his place my formation, with our current squad would look something like this.

Bosingwa........Terry......Alex.........ashley

......................Mikel..........................

............Lampard......Essein........................

.......Joey.........................Zhirkov/Malouda.....

..................Drogba.......................

id play Mikel as that should free Essein and allow him to go nuts through the middle. In my opinion if Mikel was left out, Essein would be wasted in the deep lying midfield position

If we have made all the signings that we are meant to ahve made this summer then I recon we will play next season in more of a 4-2-1-2-1 type formation

........................cech

bossie..........terry......alex....Ashley

...............Essien....Mikel

....................Lampard

Cole.................................Zhirkov

.....................Drogs

Despite his Football Manager stats, Joe Cole's best performances for Chelsea and England have always been as a wide-man.

We have tried him in the middle before, and he couldn't cut it. He gave the ball away to often.

Maybe he's matured as a player since Mourinho tried him in that position, but I wouldn't want to rely on Joe Cole producing Kaka-like performances from a central position if we actually want to challenge for trophies.

We have just spent 18 million pounds on a left winger - which means we are probably going to play with wingers this season.

So at this stage (unless we pull a rabbit out of the hat and sign someone like Aguerro or Ribery), I think it will be a 4-3-3, with Joe Cole wide right, Zhirkov wide left and Drogba through the middle.