Does Anyone Want To See Leeds Back?

mickyg

With Leeds doing well in Division 1, there's a chance that we could see them in the Premiership as early as the 2011/12 season. (Or we could meet next season if they get promoted and we get demoted!!!)

I for one would enjoy the old rivalary - putting three or four unanswered goals past them at Ellen Road would be very pleasing.

Yes of course. I want Chelsea to be in the same league as all the 'big' clubs and historical rivals.

But it is funny watching them languish in the 3rd division!

True Azz.

Maybe the best of both worlds would be to have them constantly cycle between the Premiership and League 1 (or 2!) spending one year in each!

I've thoroughly enjoyed seeing Leeds struggle over the last few years, but strange as it sounds I'd love them to get back into the Premier League.

The atmosphere at the Chelsea/Leeds games in the 70's & 80's was always electric, hostile, and full of hate. It was great! The fans hated each other with an intensity normally only reserved for derby games, and during the 70's the players seemed to hate each other too. This always made for a special atmosphere and an intriguing, if not alway exciting, game. Some of the best matches I've been to over the last 40+ years have been against Leeds United. Bring 'em on!

I've thoroughly enjoyed seeing Leeds struggle over the last few years, but strange as it sounds I'd love them to get back into the Premier League.

The atmosphere at the Chelsea/Leeds games in the 70's & 80's was always electric, hostile, and full of hate. It was great! The fans hated each other with an intensity normally only reserved for derby games, and during the 70's the players seemed to hate each other too. This always made for a special atmosphere and an intriguing, if not alway exciting, game. Some of the best matches I've been to over the last 40+ years have been against Leeds United. Bring 'em on!

BlueBeard:

I remember those games too.

I would readily swap an away game at Wigan or Blackburn or Hull for another shot at Leeds.

I fully agree, but their place over the past 5-10 years has been replaced by Liverpool.

(on current form they could swap places with Leeds :buttkick: )

I wouldn't mind meeting them in the FA cup or something, but it'll be years before they're at our level again. I like the idea of them being a yo-yo club for a few years though.

We all r*cking rate reeds! :buttkick:

Best Scenario:

It's the last day of the 2011/12 season. We're already champions. Leeds will stay up if they can avoid being defeated by more than 3 goals in their final home match which just happens to be against Chelsea...they're down 0-3 with 1 minute to go...

Repeat this every other year.

Leeds are vile, horrid creatures.

We've got many historical reasons to hate them, and some newer additions as well:

- I swear to this day that Frank Leboeuf was never the same player after he gave Kewell the treatment in '98 and got red carded.

- They chased Wisey down the tunnel. Ungrateful knobheads....best thing to walk into Elland road in years.

But still with my desire to spank them off the pitch still raging, I'd rather never see Leeds play Chelsea again, in fact, two more relegations, followed up by the conversion of Elland Road into a giant rubbish dump, and the indefinite imprisonment of all Leeds fans would make me happier I think.

I hope for a cup game against them every season - not sure it would be the same now though - a lot of the people at the Bridge are not aware of the old rivalry

This. I'm very contently watching Leeds thrash around in the old third. I hope Charlton do them over, in all honesty.

I always keep an eye on their results, partly because the old rivalry has always madew them one of the first teams who's result was of interest and partly because my stepson is an avid dirty fan.

I would like to see them back for his sake and for the friendly rivalry between him and me, although I have always hated them I respect the way he has never let his support wain and even though he used to proudly where his John Terrry Chelsea shirt he never changed hid alliegence, his Dad though soon made him get rid of the shirt :P

Leeds, like Sperz, are a proper Chelsea rival.

None of this Liverpool business that the newer fans go for, Leeds are proper Chelsea hatred material.

I miss them!

For someone like me, who only started following Chelsea and football in the late 90s and doesn't live in England, Leeds is not a big rival. However I appreciate the history between the two clubs, especially after what happened in 1970- essentially the same thing is happening between Chelsea and Liverpool right now.

For me, it's Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham- in that order. All for much the same reasons: several close matches (except Tottenham, lol) but mostly the ideas of self-entitlement and sanctimony that spring from the clubs and their fans.

I flicked over to Sky Sports last night and they were on live, playing Grimsby in some meaningless cup, and although the crowd looked very sparse, even in the 5 minutes I was watching, I clearly heard the old 'Go and get your gun, etc.......We Hate Chelsea'

I would like to play them again although, as other posters have said, it won't be any time soon (apart from cup ties). Pity because although it's funny laughing at their misfortune, I miss the atmosphere of past matches against them.

They are just scum. always have been, and deserve to rot where they are. Putting them out of the cup every year would be good, though, if they make it to the big boys' round.

I think that, even if they were ever to make it back to the Premiership, we would find that the atmosphere just wasn't the same these days. You could blame the policing, the all-seaters, the stewarding of home fans, the JCLs and "family enclosures", all of that! Me, I blame kenyon

I never had much actual physical history with the scum, but I expect a Bluebeard will be along shortly to bring our younger or off-shore members up to speed.

I think that, even if they were ever to make it back to the Premiership, we would find that the atmosphere just wasn't the same these days. You could blame the policing, the all-seaters, the stewarding of home fans, the JCLs and "family enclosures", all of that! Me, I blame kenyon

I never had much actual physical history with the scum, but I expect a Bluebeard will be along shortly to bring our younger or off-shore members up to speed.

You're spot on about the atmosphere inside the ground nowadays, but I've a sneaky feeling that a few old faces from the past might reappear for a Leeds game ;)

The mutual hatred between Chelsea and Leeds goes back to the FA Cup Semi-Final at Villa Park in 1966/67. We were winning 1-0, then Leeds got a free-kick in the dying minutes. Lorimer stepped up and blasted the ball into the net, only for the ref to disallow it because he hadn't blown his whistle - needless to say, when the kick was retaken they didn't score, and Chelsea went on to play Tottenham at Wembley. Don Revie and the Leeds players were still whinging on about that game years later, and every time the teams met thereafter there was no love lost between the players. This was typified by the heavy tackles and blatant assaults on the pitch during the 1970 FA Cup Final at Old Trafford, a brilliant display of "hardman" football by both sides.

So basically, the bad feeling between the clubs was initiated by the players - the hatred between the fans came later. There were some very volatile meetings between opposing fans during the 70's and early 80's, culminating in the 1983/84 game where we beat them 5-0 at the Bridge. I've had a scout around and found an old thread about that match. I tried to copy the link but wasn't able to because the thread hasn't been used in over 90 days, so I'll just copy my post here: -

What a day, I can't believe it was 25 years ago!

Chelsea had been going strong all season, but promotion wasn’t guaranteed. We were 2nd in the old 2nd. Division behind leaders Sheffield Wednesday – Newcastle were 3rd, with Manchester City and Blackburn close behind. Leeds, meanwhile, were stuck in mid-table.

Managed by Johnny Neal, Chelsea fielded the classic 1983/84 team that day: -

Eddie Niedzwiecki

Colin Lee

Colin Pates

Joe McLaughlin

Joey Jones

Pat Nevin

John Bumstead (s. Paul Canoville)

Nigel Spackman

Micky Thomas

Kerry Dixon

David Speedie

The official attendance was 33,447, but I personally think that figure is total b*llocks - there were far more people in the ground than that, and everyone I know who was there that day agrees. The atmosphere was electric – the Shed were in fine voice as usual, as were the boys in the West Stand – the Benches were quickly filled that day! After a few pre-match beers and a lively get together with some Leeds fans, me and my mates were in our usual matchday position in Gate 13, while a few thousand of the Leeds scum were congregated on the north terrace, trying to make themselves heard.

After just 6 minutes, Micky Thomas opened the scoring right in front of them with a volley, and ran off to celebrate with the Benches – cue the first of many pitch invasions that day (every goal). Pat Nevin was on fire that day, taking on and beating the entire Leeds defence at will, and he it was who provided the cross for King Kerry to head our second of the day. Kerry then added a third just before half-time with a brilliant chip over the keeper’s head. So, 3-0 at half-time, and it should have been more – Johnny Bumstead also hit two free-kicks against the woodwork in the first period!

The ref was getting upset with the constant pitch invasions, and at half-time Ken Bates had to go round the ground with a loudhailer telling us all to keep off the pitch till after the game.

Kerry Dixon completed his hat-trick with a shot from the edge of the box at the Shed end, and as the game neared its end thousands of Chelsea fans were lining the edge of the pitch. The ref was getting ready to blow for full-time when Paul Canoville scored our fifth goal with a solo effort, and all hell broke loose. The pitch was engulfed with celebrating fans, most of whom thought the game was over – it took about five minutes to clear the pitch.

The ref made sure the players were near the tunnel before allowing Leeds to restart, and almost immediately blew for full-time. The players run hell-for-leather towards the dressing rooms as we all piled on the pitch to celebrate, thousands of Chelsea supporters enjoying our first taste of success since our previous promotion season in 1976/77 – though of course, we weren’t yet promoted. The main celebration was the absolute stuffing of the hated Leeds!

I remember us celebrating on the pitch for what seemed like ages, and then we noticed the Leeds fans going mental, ripping up bits of concrete from the terracing and smashing up our electronic scoreboard. Well, obviously we weren’t about to let the northern scum take such a diabolical liberty and get away with it, so hundreds of us charged across the pitch towards the North Stand.

Unfortunately, there was a huge police presence that day (can’t think why), and a strong line of them stopped us getting further than the goal at the north end. I politely (yeah, right) asked one copper why they were stopping us, when our ground was getting vandalized by that bunch of c*nts, and I’ll always remember his enigmatic reply – “Don’t worry mate, keep watching ‘em, they’re gonna be taken care of in a minuteâ€.

Sure enough, while hundreds of police were holding us Chelsea fans back, right on cue a mob of SPG (Police Special Patrol Group) in full riot gear stormed across the terracing and waded straight into the Leeds mob with batons, beating the living crap out ‘em. We were going mental on the pitch, half pissing ourselves laughing at Leeds getting hammered by the Old Bill, and half wanting to join in. That was the first and only time I’ve cheered the police!

The northern scum were scraped up off the terraces and ejected, and after a while everything quietened down and so we left the ground. Needless to say, once outside we went out of our way to meet what was left of the Leeds fans in order to discuss the match with them – and what a great discussion that was, there were quite a few of us with bruised knuckles afterwards

A great day, one that I’ll always remember despite the amount of lager consumed!

Was that the game where the players went upto the middle tier of the East stand and started throwing their shirts to the crowd who were in front of the tunnel. Then their boots, then some threw their socks, some threw their shorts. They were all half bare towards the end.

That day was one of the only times I've envaded the pitch at Stamford Bridge, and the grand old age of 10! My 8 year old brother brought a bit of the pitch home that day (he was on it aswell) but my mum made him throw it away, ''You aint bringing a clump of mud into this house, I don't care where you got it from!''

He cried his eyes out telling her she didn't understand - we still talk about it to this day!

F*cking great day though!!!

Archived