Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sasserfrazz

Celtic and Rangers playing in England?

hi I notice there are a lot of Scottish members on this forum so I wondered what people think about Celtic and Rangers playing in the English league. Like should they be allowed to go straight into the premier league or should they have to start lower down, and if they did play in England would it be fair on the Scottish league to lose their two biggest teams?

There's an article about it on the BBC website

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/e...rem/8353937.stm

My opinion is that if they were ever to be allowed to play in the English league they should have to start in non league football and make their way up.

However the way the league is structured means that the Premiership clubs could vote to allow them straight into the top flight without the lower clubs being able to do anything about it.

I don't think it will happen, at least not in the near future and most of them time this story gets rehashed is because the Scottish sports media have a slow news week so they rehash it . It doesn't surprise me at all that it has re-appeared when there is an international break.

Theres been talk of an Atlantic league involving American and Scottish clubs. Both ideas stink. They should stay in the SPL, or they will be looked upon as mickey mouse clubs.

I'm totally against this idea, and always have been. If the Old Firm leave the SPL to play in England or elsewhere, Scottish football will die - most of the other SPL clubs rely on the income from the games against the Old Firm clubs.

I doubt if Rangers & Septic will ever be allowed to join the EPL, The travelling support of the Old Firm sides is enormous, and they would travel to away games in their thousands, regardless of ticket availablity. I've nothing against that, Chelsea fans did the same when we were banned - but I just can't see the police allowing that situation to arise in this day and age.

I heard people discussing it on the radio today and the main discussion point was 'What benefit would it be for the other Premiership clubs?' with the angle of the discussion being that it would be none. That argument is ridiculous - other Premiership clubs would benefit form the fact that they have just secured two more home fixtures where they would flog a lot ore tickets than they would against the likes of Wigan, Hull, Stoke etc etc.

It would also make the Premiership even more attractive to Sky Sports and that, as we well know, translates to £££ in the bank.

Queen of the South should also be admitted into the Premier League, since they have such a cool name.

They take their name from the town Dumfries, which has been known for centuries as Queen of the South. Dumfries is the county town in South West Scotland.

Phillip, that whole area has a load of Scottish heritage.

Anyway, to the main point, I think it would be a slap in the face to Celtic and Rangers for them to start at the bottom, but it would be equally degrading to anyone beneath them should the be automatically placed into the Premiership.

The games would draw a lot of attention, but the main thing that would happen is that it would absolutely kill the Scottish Premeir League. You'd basically be decapitating the league, and taking away any major TV money that it might currently be recognizing.

The main thing is, the SPL needs to look at itself, and the SFA need to take a look at developing more homegrown talent

The assumed level of sectarianism that exists will always prevent the clubs from being allowed to join an English league. I expect a European league will be created with top clubs from inferior leagues such as Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Scotland, Belgium, Ireland, Iceland.

The Premier League clubs have thrown out a proposal to bring Celtic and Rangers into the English game.

Discussion has raged for some time about whether the Old Firm could be included in a new-look English structure.

A two-tier Premier League including the Glasgow giants was on the agenda at a meeting of chairmen on Thursday.

Several managers, such as Alex McLeish, Martin O'Neill, David Moyes and Harry Redknapp, had previously voiced their support for the idea.

However, the Premier League have now confirmed that Celtic and Rangers will not be invited to leave the SPL.

The proposal, put forward by Bolton chairman Phil Gartside, was rejected as neither 'desirable or viable'.

The Premier League said in a statement: "Bolton Wanderers submitted a discussion paper detailing ideas concerning the restructuring of the Premier League into two tiers with the inclusion of Celtic and Rangers.

"The clubs welcomed the additional input into an ongoing process, however, they were of the opinion that bringing Celtic and Rangers into any form of Premier League set-up was not desirable or viable.

"The other relevant ideas contained within Bolton's paper will now be taken forward as part of the wider strategic review being undertaken by the Premier League since November 2008 with the aim of providing recommendations before December 2010."

Bad move

Speaking before the announcement, Burnley chief executive Paul Fletcher explained that he would be opposing the plan due to fears over the repercussions.

"My first view is that it would ruin football in Scotland," said Fletcher.

"What the Hearts and Hibernians and Aberdeens of this world would think about it ... whether they would slip into non-league football, I don't know."

Burnley's former Hibernian striker Steven Fletcher agreed that removing Celtic and Rangers from Scottish football would be a bad move.

"Everyone looks forward to playing the Old Firm sides so I think it would take a big part of that away," said the 22-year-old.

"I've played a lot of my football up there and I don't want to see that.

"I don't think they'd do badly if they came down but they're two Scottish teams and I think they should stay up there for the SPL's sake as well."

The assumed level of sectarianism that exists will always prevent the clubs from being allowed to join an English league. I expect a European league will be created with top clubs from inferior leagues such as Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Scotland, Belgium, Ireland, Iceland.

Spot on Tim. As we have seen first hand!

Even if the vote had have gone the way of Celtic and Rangers im sure the police would have put a stop to proceedings pretty sharpish.

Spot on Tim. As we have seen first hand!

Even if the vote had have gone the way of Celtic and Rangers im sure the police would have put a stop to proceedings pretty sharpish.

I still have nightmares about that pipe band in the Glaswegian and the barmaid with scars down the side of her face

I LIVE IN GLASGOW AND BOTH RANGERS AND RESCELTIC ARE ONLY INTETED IN PREM THE GOODMONEY TIM THAT WAS LOOKING BARMAID

Could you translate that for us, please? And don't shout!

Tim Rangers would adapt to England but Celtic would allways be uncomfortable because of the Irish link Celtic fans did not respect the minute silence

Could you translate that for us, please? And don't shout!

sorry about first message not to sure what happend what i was saying was both clubs are only looking for EPL money they would takeout more than they would put in

I still have nightmares about that pipe band in the Glaswegian and the barmaid with scars down the side of her face

Some one told me recently The Glaswegian has shut done now (perhaps Loz or one of our Glasgae mob could confirm ?)

Ive had worse than that barmaid. :D ::clap2::

Some one told me recently The Glaswegian has shut done now (perhaps Loz or one of our Glasgae mob could confirm ?)

Ive had worse than that barmaid. :D ::clap2::

But have you had better? :D

I am dead against having Scottish clubs in what is our ENGLISH league. Rangers & Celtic may be greedingly eyeing the riches of the premiership but as far as I'm concerned they can f*ck right off.

That Gartside tosser wants shooting for raising the idea in the first place.

Fortunately the rest of the premiership chairman were against the idea. After all, why would turkeys vote for Christmas?

sorry about first message not to sure what happend what i was saying was both clubs are only looking for EPL money they would takeout more than they would put in

Rangers and Celtic coming down south is mostly hype by the clubs themselves as they need the money, aren't Rangers nigh on bankrupt? And from the authorities standpoint I would imagine the perceived disadvantages certainly outweigh any benefits.

A couple of years ago BJD, Nat, myself and Katznutz and a few others were in Glasgow for the preseason friendly and had a great day out, yet we also "heard" the other side

I am dead against having Scottish clubs in what is our ENGLISH league

Cardiff?

Swansea?

Wrexham?

the scottish are kind enough to risk the old firm stranglehold and allow Berwick Rangers an assault on scottish league dominance even though they are from England

I'm glad it won't happen but not because they're both Scottish teams. It's like you say they already have Welsh teams playing in England and Berwick is in England but they play in Scotland but I think maybe this is because of travelling, like they're a lot closer to even the most northern Scottish team than a most English teams.

About the Welsh teams i think maybe this is because they only have amateur or semi-pro leagues in Wales. I think Celtic and Rangers are both so huge it just wouldn't feel right for them to play in England even if they had to start at the bottom and work there way all the way through to the Premier league.