Last Movie You Watched

Only God Forgives.

Was a massive fan of Drive (Same director, Nicolas Winding Refn and also staring Ryan Gosling) so I had high hopes for this film but if I'm being brutally honest it was just a pretentious mess.

Too much symbolism and not enough plot, you could summise everything that happens in about 2 sentences. Worth a watch just to say you've seen it but nowhere near the quality of Drive.   

Only God Forgives.

Was a massive fan of Drive (Same director, Nicolas Winding Refn and also staring Ryan Gosling) so I had high hopes for this film but if I'm being brutally honest it was just a pretentious mess.

Too much symbolism and not enough plot, you could summise everything that happens in about 2 sentences. Worth a watch just to say you've seen it but nowhere near the quality of Drive.   

There is no language in which that sentence makes sense!  You are advising people to watch a film which you describe as a "pretentious mess" and they should do so just so they can say they've seen it?????

Get a grip, FC!!   :happy001:

Edited by moi

Only God Forgives.

I want to see it because of the way it divides opinions. I haven't heard anyone say "it's pretty decent". It's either genius or unwatchable garbage. This means it's not generic fluff.

There is no language in which that sentence makes sense!  You are advising people to watch a film which you describe as a "pretentious mess" and they should do so just so they can say they've seen it?????

Get a grip, FC!!   :happy001:

Over on IMDB it's gone down like Marmite. People are either loving the endless waves of symbolism and the lingering shots drenched in neon, picking out the potential hidden meanings in each scene or they just think it's a jumbled up pile of nothingness.

The film isn't badly made and so even though I personally think it's too "arty" I do think the film is worth watching.... And yes, I do know I am a walking contradiction.  

Over on IMDB it's gone down like Marmite. People are either loving the endless waves of symbolism and the lingering shots drenched in neon, picking out the potential hidden meanings in each scene or they just think it's a jumbled up pile of nothingness.

The film isn't badly made and so even though I personally think it's too "arty" I do think the film is worth watching.... And yes, I do know I am a walking contradiction.  

Ah well, at least you admit it. I quite like Marmite, so maybe I will give it a try, but on the whole I avoid films with endless waves of symbolism!

I can tolerate w**ky art films in small doses, and since Only God Forgives is pretty short I think I'd quite like to see it. I liked Drive (although I think I liked the idea of the film more than the finished product) and Pusher was good so I'd be surprised if I can't get any enjoyment out of it.

Come to think of it, a film has to be complete and utter sh*t (e.g. The Expendables 2) for me to not be able to enjoy it.

I can tolerate w**ky art films in small doses, and since Only God Forgives is pretty short I think I'd quite like to see it. I liked Drive (although I think I liked the idea of the film more than the finished product) and Pusher was good so I'd be surprised if I can't get any enjoyment out of it.

Come to think of it, a film has to be complete and utter sh*t (e.g. The Expendables 2) for me to not be able to enjoy it.

Drive and the Pusher films have much more focus and aren't in the same league of 'artsy' when compared to OGF.

i felt OGF was made to sucker the Drive fans in and then make them detest themselves for doing so; it is quite a bumbling, pretentious film that relies on surface gimmicks like striking visuals, shock value and mood music, but doesn't actually have much of anything stewing underneath. gosling in particular is parodying himself at this point

Watched The Last Samurai for the first time last night, I really enjoyed it.

It's only the 2nd historical Asian film i'd seen, the other being The Last Emperor, but I think it's a really interesting genre.

Any other recommendations of similar themed movies?

Watched The Last Samurai for the first time last night, I really enjoyed it.

It's only the 2nd historical Asian film i'd seen, the other being The Last Emperor, but I think it's a really interesting genre.

Any other recommendations of similar themed movies?

Red Cliff I & II, Warlords, 13 Assassins etc..

I watched Bernie over the weekend, directed by Richard Linklater (School of Rock, Waking Life, Dazed and Confused, Slacker) and starring Jack Black.

The film is based on the true story of a kind-hearted assistant funeral director in East Texas who befriends a rich, lonely (lonely due to her being a right horrible bitch) widow and ends up murdering her, hiding her death and using her vast reserves of money for the good of the community. It's marketed as a black comedy but I didn't find it particularly funny despite Jack Black doing his best to make Bernie look as ridiculous as possible. Really it's a dramatisation of an absurd situation played tongue-in-cheek with some great song and dance routines thrown in. I enjoyed it but I doubt it will be everyone's cup of tea.

• 2 weeks later...