Last Movie You Watched

Romford Pele

Lawless, I liked it, but it could have been better.

Aha! I saw that two nights ago, and thought pretty much the same. It was good, nothing special.

Looking forward to seeing End of Watch on Netflix tonight. Looks like a film version of the TV show Southland, set in LA. It's meant to be very good.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from seeing In The Heat Of The Night.  First time I've seen it at the cinema.  I saw it on a black and white telly donkeys' years ago and thought it was great then.

It is still a brilliant film - excellent acting in particular from Rod Steiger.

Went to see Blue Jasmine last night - well, if that is a leading oscar contender, I hate to think what the non-contenders are like!  Well-acted but that's about it.  Was not engaged with it at all - an unlikeable leading character who I just wanted to see get her come-uppance.  Meh!

Saw the Hobbit, Part I a few days ago on HBO. Boy, did Peter Jackson really mess up that one. Confusing, dark, boring as hell for the most part, and no character development.

Pleased you posted that. A very poor film - I gave up (which i rarely do) when the wizard in the forest was racing about on a giant rabbit...

Bought a blu ray player the other day and got Argo & Django Unchained with it.

Argo is very good, although I was expecting it to be better given the hype it's had. Thought Ben Affleck was good considering I generally think of him as a sh*t actor.

Django is exactly what you would expect from Tarantino. Good story, plenty of laughs and a lot of blood. Christoph Waltz proving once again that he's among the best actors in the world at the moment. 

This scene had me in stitches:-

Escape Plan

Arnie and Sly in an action fest, rolling back the years.

Sly is an escape artist who breaks out of jails for £££££, selling security to prisons. He is of course set up and has to break out of a seemingly impossible jail, run by sociopaths like Vinnie Jones etc.

Thoroughly entertaining, extremely easy watching cheesy action. Good for a friday night.

One particular scene involving Arnie and a machine gun had people in the cinema very excited, never seen that before in ANY film.

7/10

Edited by Zola

Am rereading His Dark Materials so i thought I would finally give the 'Golden Compass' film a try... I shouldn't have bothered.

Utter tripe from start to finish, the message of the book is trampled and mistranslated so it is deprived of all nuance, the dialogue is Star Wars-quality and they manage to mess up or mistime every single 'big reveal'. They turned what was a fairly deep and clever book into overblown Hollywood hogwash which doesn't even stretch to meet the two hour mark.

The only saving grace was Sam Elliott as Lee Scoresby, although I suppose armoured bears fighting is always going to be good fun on some level - 3/10

Am rereading His Dark Materials so i thought I would finally give the 'Golden Compass' film a try... I shouldn't have bothered.

Utter tripe from start to finish, the message of the book is trampled and mistranslated so it is deprived of all nuance, the dialogue is Star Wars-quality and they manage to mess up or mistime every single 'big reveal'. They turned what was a fairly deep and clever book into overblown Hollywood hogwash which doesn't even stretch to meet the two hour mark.

The only saving grace was Sam Elliott as Lee Scoresby, although I suppose armoured bears fighting is always going to be good fun on some level - 3/10

I read the Dark Materials trilogy when they first came out. LOVE the books. But as you said, the film...

It botches the whole concept from start to finish, doesn't it? The only saving graces in my eyes was the little girl who played Lyra, the CGI of the Daemons (the Golden Compass won an Oscar for it i believe) and I thought Nicole Kidman was excellent as an ice-cold Mrs Coulter.

I'm devastated that The Subtle Knife- my favourite book of the trilogy- won't be made. At least, not for years and years when they decide to re-boot the trilogy or something. 

Had a small flurry of films watched in the last week.

Went to the cinema to see Thor: The Dark World

I quite like all the superhero films personally and although there was some decent action sequences in this I was left slightly underwhelmed. The end fight doesn't really make a lot of sense to me and they tried to shoehorn in too much humour as well. 

I like the funny moments but with these films you have to pick the times when to just focus on the story and they got the balance wrong a few times in my opinion.

6/10

Also bought a couple films on Blu Ray, firstly World War Z

Not read the book, apparently the film hasn't stayed too true to its origin which is what annoyed a lot of people but it meant I went into without many expectations.

The opening 10-15 minutes are brilliant and really engrossed me, the actions scenes for the most part are brilliant but there are niggling things within the film that slightly annoyed/frustrated me for example there is a part of the film where Brad Pitts character has been told not long before that the zombies are alerted to noise, so there he is creeping through the dark with his army buddies trying to quietly get to this plane and.... Whoops he left his satellite phone switched on with rings loudly foiling their plan etc etc. 

I know things like this are they to allow action scenes etc but Pitts character is meant to be extremely intelligent and yet makes an idiotic mistake.

A baseball bat being on hand in a Welsh medical facility also left me slightly bemused.

Overall a good watch 7/10

Finally Now You See Me

To quote IMDB "An FBI agent and an Interpol detective track a team of illusionists who pull off bank heists during their performances and reward their audiences with the money".

All very light hearted, starts out well enough and the first "trick" is quite clever... then they seem to stop bothering to try and keep things slightly "realistic" and the tricks just become CGI whizzing around and until the final reveal which really shouldn't come as too much of a surprise. 

Decent enough to just mong out to for a couple of hours and interesting to see a film try to use magic a theme.

6/10