Last Movie You Watched

Watched Blue Velvet today. It's from 1986 I believe and was written/directed by David Lynch, the same guy who more recently made Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire. If your into his movies and the surrealist vibe that he brings to film it is a must see and it is also a great mystery thriller as well!

It is indeed a very suspenseful film!  Not at all what you expect it to be from the song Blue Velvet.

I recently enjoyed Flying Monkeys with my lady. These rare asian monkeys are brought to Kansas as pets, but grow 20x under moonlight plus wings and a murderous carnivorous appetite. I worry it may go underappreciated.

2mg4l3.jpg

Blimey!  I've never heard of this film.  Will look out for it.  Was your lady scared?

Edited by moi

I quite enjoyed Coup De Torchon last night. It's a 1981 film about a police officer living in a small French colonial town in Africa in the 1930s with his nagging wife and her mentally retarded brother. The man is a lazy bar steward and actively avoids enforcing the law since he just wants an easy life for himself and believes people prefer to be left alone anyway. After a couple of humiliating encounters with the local low-lifes he finally decides he's had enough and starts to show people that he's not such a harmless pushover after all.

The main reason I wanted to watch it was because it's based on one of my favourite books by Jim Thompson ("Pop. 1280"). The film relocates the story from a small town in middle America to a small colonial town in Africa but otherwise follows the plot exactly as I remember it. The lead actor does a great job conveying the apathetic police officer (the French tend to do apathy pretty well) but I thought some of the supporting actors were a little ropey.

Good film though overall, not brilliant and not quite up to the standard of the book but a good effort nonetheless.

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Did you watch it in 3-D? because I didn't and I thought it was terrible

Oops didn't see this reply, thank you! :D

I like Sandra Bullock so I'm always going to be generous with films she's in but yeah I saw it in 3D and thought it was stunning. Like a sad act I did duck flying debris which made me feel slightly stupid...

CATCHING FIRE last night was immense, loves it from start to finish. It flew by, will go see it again before it departs the screens.

Shutter Island, for the second time.

Still don't like it, despite it being a Scosese film- my favourite director- and DiCaprio. DiCaprio is very good in it, but I still found little I liked about it. It's plodding and over-long. The twist is good but that's about it. 

I was an almost obsessive Scorsese fan when I was younger but I had forgotten Shutter Island even existed. Not a bad film by any means, it just didn't make much of an impression on me either way.

The last film I saw was the new Thor movie at the cinema. That's another one I'll probably forget about very quickly, possibly the most mediocre film I've seen. Mediocre acting, mediocre action, mediocre jokes... actually the jokes are mostly crap so I might remember it for that, if anything.

Saw In Bruges yesterday, was pretty nice.

I love In Bruges, it's one of those films that is just filled with memorable, quotable dialogue. 

Shutter Island, for the second time.

Still don't like it, despite it being a Scosese film- my favourite director- and DiCaprio. DiCaprio is very good in it, but I still found little I liked about it. It's plodding and over-long. The twist is good but that's about it. 

I agree with you on this, personally I flagging about half way through the film on my viewing because I saw the twist coming which made me want to just get to the end. 

I've got high hopes for The Wolf of Wall Street though which is another Scossese/Di Caprio collaboration. 

Yesterday after putting up the Christmas tree I watched Elf to get me feeling more festive.

Like most comedies the first half is always the funniest because towards the end they have to try and shoehorn in some resemblance of plot. 

Saw Hunger Games Catching Fire this past weekend. It's a bit of a dirty pleasure for me as I love Jennifer Lawrence. I was not disappointed, really enjoyed the film for what it is and am looking forward to seeing the final two films of the series.

I always love a movie with good eye candy, fun action and where I don't have to think much.

Edited by Butterhampton FC

SPOILER BELOW

Have just (last eve) seen Kick Ass 2 - watchable but not a patch on the first film. Some stories from the first film were cut off in a way that didn't make sense (i.e. Kick Ass getting dumped) and the film was poorer after the loss of Jim Carey's character. The scene where 'Motherf**ker' visits his Uncle didn't make sense either.

All in all a bit messy plot wise but ok to while away two hours. I will watch it again.

Edited by Spudulike