Romford Pele

Last Movie You Watched

13 sins. Quite entertaining if you like films that are just to pass the time. Has a little bit of similarity with Saw, but nowhere near as gruesome.

Non stop. Liam Neeson stars as a flight Marshall. Enjoyed it. Fairly typical Neeson action film.

Made the wife watch Blade Runner at the weekend because she's never seen it, still holds up really well as a great sci-fi film. 

I hope she enjoyed it! 

I hope she enjoyed it! 

She did like it yeah.

The point she made is that because the film is famous and popular the lore about androids becoming self conscious and the "what makes us human"? question has been done a lot in sci-fi since so she felt like she had already seen the film done before which is why she wasn't too fussed about seeing it. 

It's been a while since I watched the film myself... I'm still going with the opinion that Deckard (Ford) was a replicate himself. 

She did like it yeah.

The point she made is that because the film is famous and popular the lore about androids becoming self conscious and the "what makes us human"? question has been done a lot in sci-fi since so she felt like she had already seen the film done before which is why she wasn't too fussed about seeing it. 

It's been a while since I watched the film myself... I'm still going with the opinion that Deckard (Ford) was a replicate himself. 

Yes, that would be the final irony.  

I'm not sure it would make sense if Deckard was a replicant because the replicants are supposed to be without empathy, while Deckard eventually develops empathy for the Replicants he's supposed to be killing. Unless the empathy he demonstrates is also artificial... I don't know, it's Monday morning and my brain hurts.

Brilliant film though, one of the few I'll bother to watch more than once.

I'm not sure it would make sense if Deckard was a replicant because the replicants are supposed to be without empathy, while Deckard eventually develops empathy for the Replicants he's supposed to be killing. Unless the empathy he demonstrates is also artificial... I don't know, it's Monday morning and my brain hurts.

Brilliant film though, one of the few I'll bother to watch more than once.

For me, there's too many nods to the idea that he is a replicant.

He tells the replicant Rachel who he falls in love with that they were "made for each other". 

The origami guy says to Deckard of Rachel " It's too bad she won't live. But then again, who does?"

Same guy (we assume) at the end of the film leaves an origami unicorn outisde Deckard's home, seeing as we never see Deckard talk about his dream/vision how does the guy know about it unless it's an implant memory like those spoken about earlier in the film (the whole hatched spiders eating their mother talk Deckard has with Rachel) 

It's a fantastic open ended idea for the film, which I think is what makes it such a great one but like I say my personal take is that Deckard too is a replicant and is there to do a job humans have failed at. 

For me, there's too many nods to the idea that he is a replicant.

He tells the replicant Rachel who he falls in love with that they were "made for each other". 

The origami guy says to Deckard of Rachel " It's too bad she won't live. But then again, who does?"

Same guy (we assume) at the end of the film leaves an origami unicorn outisde Deckard's home, seeing as we never see Deckard talk about his dream/vision how does the guy know about it unless it's an implant memory like those spoken about earlier in the film (the whole hatched spiders eating their mother talk Deckard has with Rachel) 

It's a fantastic open ended idea for the film, which I think is what makes it such a great one but like I say my personal take is that Deckard too is a replicant and is there to do a job humans have failed at. 

Yeah it's impossible to know for sure either way. I always took Deckard's character to be a human who has become so jaded that he has lost much of his humanity, but (re?)learns to feel empathy towards replicants. I never really picked up on the origami thing in the film but that definitely implies the opposite.

I don't know if you've read the Philip K Dick story it's based on (Do Android's Dream of Electric Sheep), it's pretty good although I think the film is superior, but a lot of the clues that point towards Deckard being an android (replicant) in the film are missing from the book.

I watched an amazing film yesterday.  It was made in 2003, so I don;t know why I didn't know anything about it till a kind friend pointed me in the direction.  Dogville, directed by Lars von Trier, with Nicole Kidman and Paul Bettany in the main roles.

It won't be to everyone's taste because it's filmed as a theatrical presentation, but for me that worked well.

There is a sequel Manderlay, which I plan to watch soon.

I watched Escape from Alcatraz at the weekend, first time I've seen it... I saw it was on Netflix so gave it a go.

1979 prison escape film with Clint Eastwood, based on a true story.

Enjoyable watch. 

Went to see The Love Punch last night.  It won't be to everyone's taste but I loved it - funny and entertaining.  Always like Emma Thompson.  It also had Timothy Spall, Celia Imrie and Pier Bronson hamming it up and not taking himself seriously.  Just the tonic after a fairly busy day at work.  And they sell bottles of decent beer in the independent cinema too - very welcome.