Last Movie You Watched

Babadook: 6.5

Depressing feel to it, but one of the better ones from that genre I can remember watching recently. First Aussie film I've ever watched. Decent.

Broken: 8.5

British film with Tim Roth and Cillian Murphy. Main actress is a young girl, though. Really good young actress. Ellouise something. Set in North London with three families living next door. I prefer films like this that stick in your mind. Good believable story, excellent acting and very engaging.

Maze Runner: 8

I actually liked this. It did seem a bit cheaply done for some reason, and the target audience was obviously teens. Entertaining, but spoiled by the ending a bit.

Mud: 8.5

Another one that stays in the mind. Couple of kids living by the Mississippi come across a man in hiding on a small island. Coming of age and all that with a bit of action thrown in. Again, very good acting, believable characters and story and nice to look at. Matthew Mcconaughey actually quite likeable here. Definitely didn't expect to enjoy this one as much as I did.

Equalizer: 7

Denzel Washington still doing the business. Pulls off the one man army thing better than much younger actors in their prime.

Snowpiercer - Gritty sci-fi from Korean director Joon-ho Bong, probably best known for The Host (also a very good film). The premise is interesting: Most of humanity has been wiped out by a big freeze and the only survivors live aboard a huge self-sufficient train, powered by some kind of perpetual motion engine, which endlessly circles the frozen planet. The inhabitants are segregated according to class with the lowest class living in squalid conditions at the rear of the train while the highest class live in relative luxury at the front. Eventually the rear-section dwellers decide they've had enough and attempt to fight their way, carriage by carriage, to the front of the train to overthrow the oppressive regime. 

The movie is very exciting, violent, and at times quite surreal with obvious parallels to historical events. It takes some big liberties with regards to common sense and feasibility but the film seems to follow some sort of dream logic so that's not a problem. It reminded me a bit of Metropolis crossed with Judge Dredd, which is understandable considering it's based on a graphic novel. 

Edited by bluedave

Elysium, sci-fi movie from director Neill Blomkamp who made the excellent District 9. 

Stars Matt Damon, basically Earth has become an overpopulated sh*t hole and the rich and privileged at living on a on satellite space station paradise where importantly there are medical scanners than can quickly heal any medical problems which for whatever reason have not been made available to Earth's population and Matt Damon is key to changing that. 

I really like the way Blomkamp's films are shot. The film itself wasn't as good as District 9 but I still found it quite entertaining even if it was a little slow to get going. 

Kingsman: The Secret Service. Wow! What a great film. If you're into spy films then this is a must see... Hilarious, action packed, and all around good fun. 

I never thought I'd say this after seeing him in Mamma Mia, but Colin Firth is a total badass.

Edited by CFC-Forever

Operation Daybreak 8.5/10

Based on the real life Operation Anthropoid, the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich in the Second World War. A good film and a great film to watch for anyone who enjoys war films or is interested in WW2.

Is that the story of how the village of Lidice and all the male inhabitants were murdered for suspected collaboration? Good film from what I remember.

Is that the story of how the village of Lidice and all the male inhabitants were murdered for suspected collaboration? Good film from what I remember.

It's about the assassination itself, rather than the reprisals at Lidice afterwards but it's yeah, it's a good film. Really sad ending. I think there's a different, more recent film specifically about the massacre at Lidice but I haven't seen it.

Operation Daybreak 8.5/10

Based on the real life Operation Anthropoid, the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich in the Second World War. A good film and a great film to watch for anyone who enjoys war films or is interested in WW2.

It's a very good film. I find it hard to get the background music out of my head when I see it.

There's an excellent book by Callum MacDonald called 'The Assassination of Reinhard Heydrich' which is amongst the best books I've ever read.

anybody watched the oscars? 

everything was spotted on except best actor, ugh keaton really deserved it, eddie was great but his peformance felt too "oscar bait-ey"

but im happy with birdman winning best picture, that and whiplash is a draw for me this year for best movie, and what about all the grand budapest love, loved it

Edited by havelschayes

How many of the films have actually been released in the UK yet? Pffft, perhaps let the world see them before it's judged? America is not the be all and end all! Y'all settlers from Europe anyway!! I'm looking forward to seeing Still Alice, I really like Julianne Moore.

On a side note I've been very happy with the leading actress results every year since 2008 (although I never saw Natalie Portman in Black Swan in 2010, so I can't comment on that) - all correct winners in my opinion.