Last Movie You Watched

Romford Pele

Fury on DVD. A good film. I'm trying to forget the scene where the new gunner has to clean the tank.

It would have been a brilliant film save for the end where the crew and tank hold off hundreds of Germans. It strained belief.

7/10.

Can't remember if I've said this already, 'After Lucia', Mexican film, excellent but harrowing. Started to watch a French film the other night about a couple in their 80s, too distressing and so I had to press the off switch, shame as the filming of a French apartment and the love between the couple was done well. (Can't for the life of me remember the title.)

Berberian Sound Studio - Very good and very weird psychological horror film set in a 1970s Italian horror film studio, directed in the style of a 1970s Italian horror film. It won'be be everybody's cup of tea because the plot (deliberately) stops making any sense as the main character loses his mind. I enjoyed it a lot.

Berberian Sound Studio - Very good and very weird psychological horror film set in a 1970s Italian horror film studio, directed in the style of a 1970s Italian horror film. It won'be be everybody's cup of tea because the plot (deliberately) stops making any sense as the main character loses his mind. I enjoyed it a lot.

Great film, I've watched it twice now. The actor, Toby...?, was also in Hitchcock, he's an amazing guy. When I first watched it on TV the actor gave an interview afterwards which only added to it.

Great film, I've watched it twice now. The actor, Toby...?, was also in Hitchcock, he's an amazing guy. When I first watched it on TV the actor gave an interview afterwards which only added to it.

Toby Stephens?  Son of Maggie Smith and Robert Stephens?  He does a mean suave baddie!

The Man in the Iron Mask (1998), obviously aimed at a younger audience, so not too surprising that it was not particularly faithful to the book, or in the least bit faithful to history, but an enjoyable ride all the same. Good cast too, plus Depardieu as Porthos was truly a sight to see!

Toby Jones is perfectly cast as the misfit sound tech. I've not seen Hitchcock but I did enjoy watching him in The Detectorists last year in which he plays a fairly similar awkward/geeky type.

I'd highly recommend The Detectorists by the way for anybody who hasn't seen it. It was a six part sitcom on BBC4 written by and starring Mackenzie Crook and was one of my favourite comedies of recent years.

Edited by bluedave

Birdman. Michael Keaton is schiz, most of the film is shot in a single take, barring a couple of scenes. Ed Norton is refreshingly bonkers.

8/10

Ed Norton was awesome in it. So was Keaton for that matter. It's a very awesome film.

Operation Daybreak 8.5/10

Based on the real life Operation Anthropoid, the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich in the Second World War. A good film and a great film to watch for anyone who enjoys war films or is interested in WW2.

I thought I knew every WW2 film but this is a new one on me. I recently read a book HH about the assasination and it was very good.

Off to Pirate Bay I go.

I thought I knew every WW2 film but this is a new one on me. I recently read a book HH about the assasination and it was very good.

Off to Pirate Bay I go.

It's a pretty unknown film as far as I know and had a limited release. If you like 60s/70s WW2 films I'd definitely recommend it.

I'm a huge fan of Norman Wisdom. I was given a box set of his films when I was young and have loved him ever since! 

If I first watched them now, I'm not so sure I'd like them.

Comic genius, but as is so often the way that carries other things.