Romford Pele

Last Movie You Watched

Do you have specific examples? I'm curious is all, not challenging you.

Just as an example... Superhero movies for the most part are overlooked despite their obvious commercial success and popularity. 

Heath Ledger dies and suddenly he wins a posthumous award for his portrayal of The Joker in The Dark Knight.  

Scorsese winning his first ever Best Director award for The Departed despite it being nowhere near our his best work.

Anyone else looking forward to the new Dad's Army film? 

Huge fan of the series and while a lot of people think remakes ruin it, they don't at all for me. If it's bad, I just forget it but more than often they're good, in my opinion.

Will watch the film as, like you, am a huge fan of the series. I read that Ian Lavender has a cameo role in the film.

The other night I watched the Colditz Story made in 1955 and based on the books of P.R. Reid. It's many years since I've read the books. If I can find them, will read them again. I watched the tv series in the seventies. 

Will watch the film as, like you, am a huge fan of the series. I read that Ian Lavender has a cameo role in the film.

The other night I watched the Colditz Story made in 1955 and based on the books of P.R. Reid. It's many years since I've read the books. If I can find them, will read them again. I watched the tv series in the seventies. 

Wow, I didn't know that - I saw him on Celebrity Mastermind a few months ago and didn't recognise him till he said his name. (When he was asked someone yelled out "Don't tell him Pike!" The casting seems to be spot on.

Edited by RichardCFC

Wow, I didn't know that - I saw him on Celebrity Mastermind a few months ago and didn't recognise him till he said his name. (When he was asked someone yelled out "Don't tell him Pike!" The casting seems to be spot on.

I saw that episode of Celebrity Mastermind. It was Rick Wakeman who shouted out. Had John Humphrys in fits of laughter. A great cast in the film. Bill Nighy will be brilliant as Sgt. Wilson.

Edited by Boyne

Just as an example... Superhero movies for the most part are overlooked despite their obvious commercial success and popularity. 

Heath Ledger dies and suddenly he wins a posthumous award for his portrayal of The Joker in The Dark Knight.  

Scorsese winning his first ever Best Director award for The Departed despite it being nowhere near our his best work.

Love ' The Departed'.

Love ' The Departed'.

It's a great film, no question... Remake of Japanese movie I believe. 

But it was clearly a token gesture to give best director award to Scorsese for that one given the brilliance he's delivered before and been overlooked. 

The Colditz Story and Dunkirk are amongst my favourite 1950s war films. I've just re-watched 'The Foreman went to France' which is a very good wartime film, based on a true story, about a factory foreman who went to, err, France to recover cannon-making machine tools before they fell into German hands. Recommended.

The Colditz Story and Dunkirk are amongst my favourite 1950s war films. I've just re-watched 'The Foreman went to France' which is a very good wartime film, based on a true story, about a factory foreman who went to, err, France to recover cannon-making machine tools before they fell into German hands. Recommended.

Both great films. Haven't seen 'The Foreman went to France' but I'll look into it. 

Alongside those two, my favourite '50s war films would be The Man Who Never Was, The Cockleshell Heroes, The Dam Busters and my favourite of all, Reach For The Sky.

Both great films. Haven't seen 'The Foreman went to France' but I'll look into it.

Alongside those two, my favourite '50s war films would be The Man Who Never Was, The Cockleshell Heroes, The Dam Busters and my favourite of all, Reach For The Sky.

I like The Cockleshell Heroes and, of course, The Dambusters. I've not seen The Man Who Never Was but I'll check it on Imdb and see if I can get a copy. Thanks for mentioning that film Rich.

I like The Cockleshell Heroes and, of course, The Dambusters. I've not seen The Man Who Never Was but I'll check it on Imdb and see if I can get a copy. Thanks for mentioning that film Rich.

The book is better than the film in my opinion and it was written by the brains behind the operation! Worth a look.

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. 10/10 One of the funniest movies I've ever seen. It was based loosely on the children's book of the same name. Watched it on the flight from Manchester to Philly.

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. 10/10 One of the funniest movies I've ever seen. It was based loosely on the children's book of the same name. Watched it on the flight from Manchester to Philly.

We saw that in the cinema with the kids and really enjoyed it, a great family film.

The Man Who Would Be King. 

Staring Michael Caine and Sean Connery. 

Two British soldiers in India decide to resign from the Army and set themselves up as deities in Kafiristan--a land where no white man has set foot since Alexander.

Watched it on Netflix as I've finished with the Daredevil series and really enjoyed it. 8/10

The Man Who Would Be King. 

Staring Michael Caine and Sean Connery. 

Two British soldiers in India decide to resign from the Army and set themselves up as deities in Kafiristan--a land where no white man has set foot since Alexander.

Watched it on Netflix as I've finished with the Daredevil series and really enjoyed it. 8/10

Classic Kipling tale , great viewing.

I'm watching Hitler: The Greatest Story Never Told at present.  Close on 6hrs long, available on You Tube, compelling viewing , genuine film footage , coupled withe some excerpts from the Robert Carlysle film and an analysis to go with the documentary shows a different prospective on the war and its lead up.As with anything like this you have to be objective as to how you interpret the film.

The book is better than the film in my opinion and it was written by the brains behind the operation! Worth a look.

I took a punt today and surprisingly found a few copies of the the film in Cardiff Hmv. Thanks for the heads-up as the film is very good. I didn't expect it to be in colour and it was interesting to see so many stalwarts of 50s films (like the actor playing the DNI) in colour. The film was very interesting up to the point of the briefcase etc being returned. It was informative and moving too (when the father gave up his son's body) and 'the sum total of our efforts is we've lost two bob' line was very good. Where the film took off for me was when the Irish lad turned up; that was very exciting and it felt like a spy film. As with other films like those we've mentioned, old or otherwise, a good story is a good story.

I took a punt today and surprisingly found a few copies of the the film in Cardiff Hmv. Thanks for the heads-up as the film is very good. I didn't expect it to be in colour and it was interesting to see so many stalwarts of 50s films (like the actor playing the DNI) in colour. The film was very interesting up to the point of the briefcase etc being returned. It was informative and moving too (when the father gave up his son's body) and 'the sum total of our efforts is we've lost two bob' line was very good. Where the film took off for me was when the Irish lad turned up; that was very exciting and it felt like a spy film. As with other films like those we've mentioned, old or otherwise, a good story is a good story.

Really glad you enjoyed it mate. Yep, a top film. The original book is great and Ben McIntyre's recent book about it is also really good.