Last Movie You Watched

Case Closed: The Phantom of Baker Street.

Conan and his friends find themselves trapped in a VR simulation in which they must find and catch Jack the Ripper; or all of them will die.

Sadly, this was the last Detective Conan film to be dubbed into English; in fact, it has not been dubbed into English since, although it does have English subtitles.

Started watching "Now You See Me 2" because it's free on Amazon Prime at the moment. 

Despite boasting a rather impressive cast.... It's sh*t. Like, really unwatchably sh*t. 

I lasted about 45 minutes before I fell asleep. Avoid. 

Rewatched Goodfellas the other night, been a couple of years since I watched it. Maybe the best Gangster movie ever made.

Despicable Me 3, now the best trilogy since The Godfather .... and the door is wide open for 4 ! - However I would advise against this, everyone knows when you get to 4 they become crap (Godfather, Star Wars, Rocky...........)

On 8/17/2017 at 21:21, andy said:

Despicable Me 3, now the best trilogy since The Godfather .... and the door is wide open for 4 ! - However I would advise against this, everyone knows when you get to 4 they become crap (Godfather, Star Wars, Rocky...........)

Planet of the Apes trilogy, the latest ones, is the best trilogy since Godfather. At least for me. I'm not into animation but I'll try Despicable me since you made such comparison. :JC_doubleup:

On 15/08/2017 at 13:48, ForeverCarefree said:

Started watching "Now You See Me 2" because it's free on Amazon Prime at the moment. 

Despite boasting a rather impressive cast.... It's sh*t. Like, really unwatchably sh*t. 

I lasted about 45 minutes before I fell asleep. Avoid. 

Rewatched Goodfellas the other night, been a couple of years since I watched it. Maybe the best Gangster movie ever made.

Squeaky man give Sun Zhi nightmare for many night.

I'm tempted to go and see It when it is released next week. However, having seen the trailer it looks like the lead characters (except the clown, obviously) are only portrayed when they were children. Having read the book by Stephen King a few times, one of the key bits about it is switching backwards and forwards when the characters are adults and children. I've read that a sequel to film is planned and am guessing it will portray the characters as adults. 

I watched the mini TV series made in the nineties so it will be interesting to compare the film to that. And to the book. In my view TV and Film adaptations of King's books - with the probable exception of Misery aren't that good.

17 hours ago, Boyne said:

In my view TV and Film adaptations of King's books - with the probable exception of Misery aren't that good.

I have to disagree a bit there, Boyne.  Shawshank Redemption is recognised as one of the greats,  The Green Mile is also excellent, Stand By Me is quite good, but not great.  

There was a very good adaptation of Salem's Lot on the telly, with David Soul, and Carrie is still one of the best horror films of the 70's.

I thought The Shining was good but a bit overblown, with Nicholson going a tad over the top, but still very good for all that.  

The IT mini-series was also quite good, and I have a soft spot for Pet Sematary, but that might just be me.  I loved the TV mini-series of The Stand, but it wasn't universally well received.

I'm looking forward to The Dark Tower, mind.

(One of my bookshelves has 8 feet of Stephen King :biggrin: )

Edited by yorkleyblue
inept cutting and pasting - inexcusable sloppiness

19 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

I have to disagree a bit there, Boyne.  Shawshank Redemption is recognised as one of the greats,  The Green Mile is also excellent, Stand By Me is quite good, but not great.  

There was a very good adaptation of Salem's Lot on the telly, with David Soul, and Carrie is still one of the best horror films of the 70's.

I thought The Shining was good but a bit overblown, with Nicholson going a tad over the top, but still very good for all that.  

The IT mini-series was also quite good, and I have a soft spot for Pet Sematary, but that might just be me.  I loved the TV mini-series of The Stand, but it wasn't universally well received.

I love Stand By Me. Real coming of age film and it would be in my top 10 films.

17 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

Good point, Yorkleyblue about Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile. I can't believe I forgot them, especially as I've watched them a number of times. Very good adaptations of King's books.

I read an interview with Stephen King ( I think it was about two years ago) about what he thought of The Shining. If I remember correctly King thought that the film was dark and cold. I did enjoy the IT mini-series and also the mini-series of The Stand. King had a cameo role in it. I've read the book a number of times. I had to buy a new copy of the book as the original was starting to fall apart from being read too many times. Like you I have a number of his books. He has another one coming out which he has written with his son, Owen.

I think my problem (if that's the right word) is that over the years I've been disappointed with film and TV adaptations of books. Off the top of my head, I think the only film of a book which I've preferred to the book is Jaws. I found the book very slow in places.

5 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

I'm not a big fan of Stephen Kings's books though did like the Stand yet can't remember the TV series. I have enjoyed his films like you chaps mention the Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption and the Shining.

I also read the book Misery yet was disappointed by the film.

Is Dark Tower good?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I had the worst experience of my life last night. I was invited round by friends to watch a DVD that they said was terrific!  It in fact plunged to the nadir of crapulosity! (I know that's not a word but it should be.)

It turned out to be a Jack Reacher film (can't even remember the title) directed by Tom Cruise, with Tom Cruise in the title role and complete nobodies in every other role.  Clearly a vanity project. Implausible, unmitigated sh*te which would have boggled the mind of the most mind boggle resistant viewer.

The female of the two offered to lend me her Jack Reacher books. I explained that I already had a huge pile of unread books by my bedside.

To my credit (maybe) I must be a very accomplished liar, for they did not have a clue how ghastly I thought the film was!

@moi  The Reacher books are generally very good in a macho, manly, thrillery sort of nonsense way, but the film(s) are utter bollocks.  FFS, Jack Reacher in the books is 6 foot 6 inches tall, a very very big man in his early 40's and extremely scary.  Tom Cruise is 4 foot 2 inches tall and 63 years old.  And not scary.  I am in total agreement with you about the film's crapulosity. Also, the film I saw bears no relationship to the novel on which it is based, and not much relationship to any of the Reacher characteristics.

Now, I'm not saying that the Reacher books are high literature, far from it, but, in the genre of escapist, border-line psychotic heroics, along the lines of Clint Eastwood when he was good, they are far from bad.  You might have realised, I'm a fan, but they are not for everyone, and, as is always the way, they get worse the further into the series you go.  Sadly, authors who find a good character nearly always have to keep churning their stories out well beyond their sell-by dates, and when the originality of ideas has long been lost.  It is so in Lee Child's case, and the later books are formulaic and disappointing.  Up to about number 16 in the series he manages to maintain the standard, but I gave up after the next couple.