Romford Pele

Last Movie You Watched

11 hours ago, Munkworth said:

When you say ‘the family’ I hope it wasn’t the wife & kids :laugh2:

Saw it Friday and I found myself sympathising with the title character :blush2:

Wife and daughter (21 yrs old) (Daughter not the wife)

The story is told from the view point of the title character and both my wife and daughter sympathised with him, they even said he was hot. I enjoyed the film immensely and a part of me wanted him to be bad. I felt the subtext of the film was subversive and depicted a world where killing the rich was not only acceptable but to be encouraged. I think this is why certain critics  have condemned the violence which in itself is no worse than most Tarrantino films.

The film went to great lengths in building Jokers character and for me it slightly over emphasised how he became a murderer. It was starting to feel a bit slow until the dance scene on the stairs. When the Gary Glitter music started I immediately felt a change in the mood and was somehow persuaded that it was OK to like the bad guy. I really enjoyed Gary Glitters music for the first time since his paedophilia convictions. Please don't misunderstand me, as what he did was appalling, but the music on its own stands up very well and enhances the film more because of the conflicting feelings it generates. I would challenge anybody who has seen the film to not feel the same way.

This is the best film I have seen in years but it could be misunderstood in a similar way to how Clockwork Orange was. On face value its about a psychotic murderer who dresses up as a clown, but on a different level its about how society can inadvertently create an environment in which bad behaviour can thrive.

It is a thought provoking film and I would recommend it to most people. I was surprised it got a 15 rating and thought the themes and the context within which they were set warranted an 18.

8 hours ago, Andy North said:

Wife and daughter (21 yrs old) (Daughter not the wife)

I'll just put that congratulations back in my pocket ....... jk jk jk jk

Edit:  thanks for the synopsis... I'm eager to watch, and feel that such a cautionary tale might be just what our times need.....plus Joaquin Phoenix just seems like he was born to play these roles fantastically!

Edited by Barry Bridges

Joker was decent and Joaquin Phoenix was amazing, but I'm a big fan of 70s/80s films and to me it took lots of elements from King of Comedy, Taxi Driver, Dog Day Afternoon, Network, Falling Down as well as seminal Batman comics like The Dark Knight Returns and Killing Joke and didn't really add that much to them.  I also didn't really buy De Niro as a talk show host, he's not a funny guy.  I know this makes me sound like an old fart, I liked it but it didn't blow me away.  The new Scorsese film, the Irishman, is amazing though, I saw a preview of it in connection with the London Film Festival, it'll be on Netflix in December I think, and De Niro is great in that one, once you take a couple of minutes to get over the weird de-aging technology.

I saw the Imitation Game at the Imax cinema in the Science Museum last Friday. The film was released in 2014 but Friday was the first time I'd seen the film. After the film was broadcast one of the Science Museum hosted a discussion with the Exhibitions Curator from Bletchley Park and GCHQ's historian. There were also a few questions from the audience.

The film was good in the way it depicted the life of Alan Turing and the work he carried out at Bletchley Park; his time at school and when in the fifties he was charged with committing an act of gross indecency. Turing was homosexual and it was only in the late sixties that the homosexuality was no longer seen as a criminal act. He received a posthumous Royal Pardon a few years ago.

Benedict Cumberbatch played Turing and he did a very good job and the film conveyed that he was brilliant at what he did. Turing's role in the development of modern computing is incredible and all at such a young age.

However, there were a number of historical inaccuracies in the film - and I guess that is often the case when making a drama out of an historical event - and these were highlighted by the staff from Bletchley Park and GCHQ. For example, the film shows Alastair Denniston in a poor light and implies that he didn't approve of Turing. In fact, Turing and Denniston had visited Paris in 1940 to meet Polish mathematicians who were working with French Military Intelligence and gave Turing and Denniston information about the Enigma machine. The Polish contribution was mentioned in passing in the film. Also, Denniston who had worked for Naval Intelligence in WW1 and recruited Turing to work at Bletchley Park.

Turing was a genius and that has been recognised by the fact that his face will be on the next £50 but the work of others e.g. Weichmann, Knox, Batey, Tutte and Flowers mustn't be overlooked either.

The Curator from Bletchley Park said that after the release of the film in 2014 there was an increase in visitors to Bletchley and they would no doubt have found out more about the work carried out there and Turing's life. There are loads of books - I've read a few - about Bletchley Park and it is a great place to visit.