Last Movie You Watched

Romford Pele

18 minutes ago, donnyblue said:

https://vimeo.com/305272247

I have found a link to that film Threads (1984)  . 

Take my Word for this  after watching this film it will stay withyou for life . It goes into before,during and after nuclear strikes in the UK .

Its not for the weak minded .

i hope the link works  if not just type i  Vimeo.com ,then type in Threads 1984 into the Search engine .

I watched this last year, first time since it originally came out. You are right, it was very scary still ,even if a little dated.

12 minutes ago, charierre said:

I watched this last year, first time since it originally came out. You are right, it was very scary still ,even if a little dated.

Did you notice the connection to chelsea in this film ? 

I will leave this out there for others to answer .

How did you watch the film ? Its quite hard to Get a full version of it online .Its been on you tube for short periods ,but it allways 

gets pulled off the full movie for whatever reasons .

On 13/06/2020 at 00:51, charierre said:

I was watching this week an informative programme about entertainment through the ages on BBC2 'Back in Time for the Weekend', showing a home through the 50s to the 90s  on consecutive dayS(this is good tv). On Thursday they showed the 80s and included a programme shown on BBC in 1984 called 'THREADS' about the prelude, blast and after after effects of a nuclear war. I admit to having forgotten about this drama even though it was hard hitting at the time (maybe  as I was only 26 at the time and not fully appreciative of life )  but I today looked the programme up again. Wow this drama is a must see, why under no circumstances we should ever allow nuclear war to proliferate. Thirty Six years on this is extremely hard hitting and for those who were alive and kicking in the 80s it was a very real threat. Dated a little now but well worth a watch, I found it online but did watch a remastered version on a torrent. 

THREADS https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/threads

https://archive.org/details/threads_201712

A landmark piece of TV by Barry Hines who also wrote the excellent 'Kestrel of a Knave' 

38 minutes ago, charierre said:

RAF Finningley which was in the film ,was pointed out to be a first strike target for the Russians . I live about 5miles from said base and after watching 

that film Threads and it all sunk in ,i was quite happy to know that my neighbourhood would have been wiped out 100%.

In 1984 i was 19 and the cold war thing worried me no end after watching Threads ,as it still does today at times. 

Just watched american warewolf in London from 1981 . The scene where the yank is getting followed on a empty London underground 

station is very stressfull . 

The  film is about what it says in the title and you will not be dissapointed i vouch for it  ,unless you are a vegan then dont watch it .

Can not be arsed to source the film ,help yourselfs .

I watched that SAS: Red Notice sh*te on Sky at the weekend. f**king hell it was awful - made me think the Leeds match was a thriller. 

I liked to read Andy McNab books when I was younger but his stuff really doesn’t translate well on to the big screen. 

Edited by Munkworth

Watched Coming 2 America at the weekend as someone I know had recommended it.  What a pile of plop!  The only amusing bits are when Eddy Murphy recreates his old barber shop guys from the first film.  Other than that, it was embarrassing dross.  I only kept going because I was convinced it couldn't be that bad all the way through.

It was, dear reader, it was.

5 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

Watched Coming 2 America at the weekend as someone I know had recommended it.  What a pile of plop!  The only amusing bits are when Eddy Murphy recreates his old barber shop guys from the first film.  Other than that, it was embarrassing dross.  I only kept going because I was convinced it couldn't be that bad all the way through.

I have got to the point now where iam sorting only black/white films to watch .You know if you pick the right ones it will well worth be the watch .

The cast in b/w films seem to be far more worthy of my 90+ mins or so ,than 95% of the so called film stars today .

Mindyou its no point in getting anyone who has seen black/white tv to even think about watching a b/w film is my guess.

On 15/03/2021 at 14:52, yorkleyblue said:

As soon as I saw it I knew it’d be sh*t. Can’t let just leave these old classics alone?

• 4 weeks later...

Watched Godzilla vs King Kong last Sunday Night. Purchased a new TV a few weeks ago and also bought surround sound with it and this was the first movie we watched on the new telly. We hadn't updated the TV in about 10-12 years so it was quite the jump; went from 47' to 70' -- okay I'm done bragging 

But the movie was a lot of fun. If you like Godzilla, King Kong or those types of movies its pretty decent movie. I would recommend

Sat and watched master and command with me eldest lad (13) since iam getting him to learn about all things British Navy at the moment .Its baised on a true story which is main aspect for me with me son ,  Me lad enjoyed the film and education . Need to find a decent film about Lord Nelson if anybody can give us a shout 

The other night I watched The Elephant Man. It's been a few years since I last watched it and it is still very powerful. moving and thought-provoking. A brilliant cast and John Hurt is superb as Joseph Merrick although in the film his first name is John. That the film is in black and white adds to the atmosphere and film. I have to praise the make-up artists for the wonderful job they did. It must have taken ages to add make-up to Hurt.

I didn't realise until recently that Mel Brooks was one of the producers but asked that his name wasn't added to the credits as he was worried that if it were found out that he was involved that some think that the film was a comedy. His wife Anne Bancroft is in the film.

Merrick's skeleton is held in the Royal London Hospital and it used to be the case and may still well be that only those in the medical profession can see it. One of my sisters was a nurse and many years ago was a the Royal and saw the skeleton.

• 3 weeks later...

Watching Where Eagles Dare for about the millionth time. Great film based on the novel of the same name by Alistair Maclean. I've read all of his books and they are great action stories. A number were adapted for films. In my view some film adaptions are better than others.

On 03/05/2021 at 14:47, Boyne said:

Watching Where Eagles Dare for about the millionth time. Great film based on the novel of the same name by Alistair Maclean. I've read all of his books and they are great action stories. A number were adapted for films. In my view some film adaptions are better than others.

I have to mention the Al Murray Suicide Drinking Game to accompany Where Eagles Dare. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just watched a film called Nobody, a one man rampage sort of film, Doc from back to the future made a little appearance, the whole films only drawback being that he didn't say great Scott 

Saw Calm With Horses at the weekend, an Irish film about a washed-up ex boxer who ends up working as an enforcer for a local family of drug dealers. Brutal and depressing, I really enjoyed it.

Last night I watched some dire film call The Bad Nun. There's time I'll never get back. I like a nunsploitation film but God this was rubbish. The best thing about it was the Box it came in, which incidently bares no relation to the film.

So I'll mention a good film. My go to film is A Bridge Too Far, all about Arnhem. I first watched it on Airborne Forces Day at Depot Para and I've loved it ever since. I had the luck to meet many Arnhem veterans over the years including some of the 'Personalities"  who didn't disappoint. Every man an Emperor.

What Manner Of Men Are These That Wear The Maroon Beret?

They are firstly all volunteers and are toughened by physical training. As a result they have infectious optimism and that offensive eagerness which comes from well-being. They have 'jumped' from the air and by doing so have conquered fear.

Their duty lies in the van of the battle. They are proud of this honour. They have the highest standards in all things whether it be skill in battle or smartness in the execution of all peace time duties. They are in fact - men apart - every man an emperor.

Of all the factors, which make for success in battle, the spirit of the warrior is the most decisive. That spirit will be found in full measure in the men who wear the maroon beret”

Bernard Montgomery

On 08/06/2021 at 21:42, 1manwent2moan said:

Last night I watched some dire film call The Bad Nun. There's time I'll never get back. I like a nunsploitation film but God this was rubbish. The best thing about it was the Box it came in, which incidently bares no relation to the film.

So I'll mention a good film. My go to film is A Bridge Too Far, all about Arnhem. I first watched it on Airborne Forces Day at Depot Para and I've loved it ever since. I had the luck to meet many Arnhem veterans over the years including some of the 'Personalities"  who didn't disappoint. Every man an Emperor.

What Manner Of Men Are These That Wear The Maroon Beret?

They are firstly all volunteers and are toughened by physical training. As a result they have infectious optimism and that offensive eagerness which comes from well-being. They have 'jumped' from the air and by doing so have conquered fear.

Their duty lies in the van of the battle. They are proud of this honour. They have the highest standards in all things whether it be skill in battle or smartness in the execution of all peace time duties. They are in fact - men apart - every man an emperor.

Of all the factors, which make for success in battle, the spirit of the warrior is the most decisive. That spirit will be found in full measure in the men who wear the maroon beret”

Bernard Montgomery

Have you visited the Airborne Assault Museum at the Imperial War Museum at Duxford? Definitely worth visiting if you haven't. Some great stuff on display including information about Bruneval. the D-Day Landings, Operation Market Garden and Operation Varsity. Some VCs on display as well.

6 hours ago, Munkworth said:

Sorry but the title of this thread needs to be changed before @Malta Blue notices an Americanisation and has a little bitch fit. 

I dont mind other people using the word movie, it's only you I feel the need to correct. Your god complex requires someone to point out your flaws or anything else I can use to correct you.