Last Movie You Watched

I went to see Blackthorn yesterday - it's the story of what really happened to Butch Cassidy, who didn't die along with Sundance. Not a bad film, though not outstanding. Greatly improved by the appearance of Stephen Rea as McKinlay, the Pinkerton agent who tracked Butch/Blackthorn.

Also (especially for Moos) check out the actor who played the young Butch Cassidy: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau

320_Nikolaj_Coster-Waldau-001.jpg

Fast Five

Entertaining movie but really has lost the plot compared to the first movies as its not really about racing anymore. A good watch when you are bored at least with good looking women and lots of action, whats not to like about that?

I'm glad they moved away from street racing to be honest. I prefer the heist sort of movies.

Oh, and Jordana Brewster....I like that too

" Sleepy Hollow" - f**kin hell! It was quiet night and I was alone at home. Lights off. I'll never watch this film again :hiding:

and after that started watching Robert De Niro / Dakota Fanning - "Hide and Seek" :hiding:

Then relax :D Eddie Murphy's "Harlem Nights"

and finished with the legend "the Good, the Bad and the Ugly".

PS I must say, "to Yuma" is really really cool! :good2:

" Sleepy Hollow" - f**kin hell! It was quiet night and I was alone at home. Lights off. I'll never watch this film again :hiding:

and after that started watching Robert De Niro / Dakota Fanning - "Hide and Seek" :hiding:

Then relax :D Eddie Murphy's "Harlem Nights"

and finished with the legend "the Good, the Bad and the Ugly".

PS I must say, "to Yuma" is really really cool! :good2:

When you say "to Yuma" do you mean the old "3:10 to Yuma" with Glenn Ford, or the new one with Russell Crowe? or something totally different?

The Guard

An Irish movie that's an exercise in English as a foreign language, with accents thick as hand-sliced bacon.

The Guard a deeply black comedy with Brendan Gleeson as a small town, one-man-band cop who has an unconventional and often insulting take on life and his responsibilities. Writer/director John Michael McDonagh has created a truly unique character. That's so rare in movies these days that Gleeson alone would be worth the price of admission.

The basic premise is the familiar "country bumpkin who outsmarts the city slickers" trope, with Gleeson's Sergeant Gerry Boyle being the bumpkin. But the film is way more than that. Gleeson's Sergeant Gerry Boyle a truly weird man. And McDonagh has surrounded him with other interesting, well-written characters. Sgt. Boyle's equally unusual mother shows he's just a chip off the non-conformist block. It's a touching relationship.

Don Cheadle is a FBI agent sent to guide a massive drug bust, which is the activity that drives the plot. Cheadle keeps impressing me. Despite being in a film with a generous amount of blood, his penultimate scene, about what it feels like to be shot, is extremely funny.

For me the only weakness of the movie is the literate, philosophizing bad guys. Just a bit too much of the gabby Guy Ritchie (Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels) influence. It's the only thing that doesn't feel original

So, a great central character, really nice supporting characters, a very good script and a serviceable story.

If you're like me and crave anything that's not the same old crap, The Guard is well worth a look-see. You'll probably have to rent it though. It just left my town and is probably finishing its theatrical run.

Edited by wxwax

Senna (a documentary)

Ayrton Senna is an important figure in F1's history. He was a great driver (some say the greatest) and arguably was on his way to becoming a great man.

The documentary Senna may please his family and his devoted admirers, but it sells history short.

It's just too one-sided. It has comic book villains and an unsullied hero. Alain Prost takes the brunt of it. The movie suggests, being careful never to state, that he won because of his political, not his driving, skills. Oh, and he cheated on his wife. Balestre is an ogre. Even Schumacher gets it, with hints that he cheated.

Senna, meanwhile is a super-talented racer in touch with God and also, by the way, a humanitarian. Humble, too.

Of course there's a great deal of truth in that.

But the movie never directly addresses anything negative about him. Its way of addressing questions about his driving style and his conduct within his teams is in the form of his own replies, which seek to introduce the subjects by vindicating him at the same time.

Senna was many wonderful things. But he wasn't perfect. Senna the film is marvelous in many ways; a glimpse into his life and F1 racing with film and audio I've never seen or heard before. But it's not perfect either. It's close to being a hagiography, almost literally.

For a balanced view of this historic figure, we'll have to wait a while longer.

The Adjustment Bureau.

This is a movie for people who wonder if magic is real.

It's yet another Philip K. Dick (Blade Runner/Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep) story stretched into a feature film. There may be some kind of profound existential philosophy at work here, but it's weak soup. Predestination versus free will is explored, sort of. But not really. The writing is generally weak and unadventurous. It's just another "love conquers all" plot with two leads who can't quite convince me they'd share a cup of coffee off the set. I like Matt Damon a lot but I'm starting to think he'll never be a romantic leading man. Plus, he walks funny.

The production values are good, though. So there's that.

Got around to watch Transformers 3 the other day, just what I thought a good action movie that you can enjoy when bored!

Saw it last night. Not great, but it had some good action in it. Better than the last movie anyway, which sucked.

Still think it's a bit too long for an action movie. Two and a half hours is a lot.