Last Movie You Watched

I know, I know. I'm getting a little too worked up over this movie, but even though I enjoyed it while I was watching it, something about the message just didn't really click with me. I think I just need to forget about it.

I've been avoiding it. It has that Hollywood saccharine feel to it. A little too staged, was my feeling.

Ida E. Jones approved this message.

Saw 50/50 last night, and enjoyed it a little less than I thought I would. That being said, I thought I would really enjoy it, so I'd still give it a B+. It's pretty hard for JGL or Seth Rogen to be in a movie and have me not be interested, yet both managed to do that recently with "GI Joe" and "Green Hornet"!

I have Ides sitting on my carpet in front of the DVD player. I am underwhelmed by what I know of it. Unlike many of you, I wasn't taken by Good Night and Good Luck, possibly because I was already so familiar with the history. For my taste, Clooney the director lays it on a bit thick when it comes to his politics. (It's not his message, its how he delivers it.)

Still, the enemy of happiness is expectation. Some of the films I've most enjoyed have charmed me precisely because they caught me by surprise with their excellence. So it's not like the deck is stacked against Ides, even though I think I know what I'm in for.

ps I recorded Manon of the Spring the other night and just started watching it. Emmanuelle Beart's beauty is breathtaking. Gosh.

"Ides of March" is good, not great. The story is nothing special, but it's great to see guys like Clooney, Gosling, PSH, and Giamati act. I enjoyed it more than I should have because a lot of takes place in Cincinnati, where I lived for 4 years, including some scenes at Xavier, my university.

"Ides of March" is good, not great. The story is nothing special, but it's great to see guys like Clooney, Gosling, PSH, and Giamati act. I enjoyed it more than I should have because a lot of takes place in Cincinnati, where I lived for 4 years, including some scenes at Xavier, my university.

Yeah, Phillip Seymour Hoffman is just great. He could play anybody and make it work. I thought the movie was... well, I didn't much care for it, to be honest. I thought the pacing of the first two acts was just deadly slow. The third act certainly got interesting and was pretty good. The story didn't go quite where I was expecting. But true to his nature, Clooney laid it on thick. Overkill on the cynicism. I'm not sure if Clooney was wanting to make a thriller or a political statement. I wish he'd have concentrated more on the thriller. The politics were covered better in The Candidate by a previous generation's pretty boy. I have no reservations about Clooney's performance, but this is the kind of stuff he does in his sleep. Marisa Tomei, who owns my heart amongst other body parts, did well with a slight role. I wish they had given her more.

I watched an old Terry Gillingham movie last night (well 2/3 of it). "Brazil"

Didnt get it at all. Very random and boring.

Got crazy reviews and hype but its just awful.

The same director did Twelve Monkeys however, which is a good film.

Edited by Zola

I watched an old Terry Gillingham movie last night (well 2/3 of it).

Didnt get it at all. Very random and boring.

Got crazy reviews and hype but its just awful.

So what was the title of the Terry Gilliam film you watched?

Talking of which... Have you seen La jetée? It's pretty interesting in its own right, but also because Twelve Monkeys was inspired by it. Twelve Monkeys is not a remake, but Gilliam uses some of the same concepts that are in La jetée. I should warn you though, that it's a bit more experimental than Twelve Monkeys. It's the only fictional movie that I can think of that is constructed pretty much exclusively from still photographs. Then again, it's a short movie, as it's only about 30 minutes, but it's well worth watching if you liked the idea and concepts of Twelve Monkeys.

Haven't seen that - maybe won;t bother now!

I'm not saying Zola is wrong, because you can't say someone is wrong when it comes to opinions, and I know it's definitely not everyone's cup of tea, but I'd say you should give it a chance. It's considered a classic and quite an influential movie.

I saw a really bad Western with Gene Hackman as a bad guy, and with Sharon Stone as a fast-shooting cowgirl who apparently will set things straight in the town (I did not watch too much, since it was sooooo bad). Sharon Stone is aging well in my opinion, and must be in her 50s by now. She has done the nip-and-tuck stuff the right way, which means not too much.

Oops, I just realized that this movie, The Quick and the Dead, came out in 1995, when Sharon Stone was in her mid-thirties, and so I have no idea how she has aged since then.

Edited by Phillip

Chaw spittle for The Quick and the Dead, partly because it featured DiCaprio, but mostly because it was cheap Hollywood pap.

Two six-shooters way up for The Unforgiven. Hackman: "You just shot an unarmed man!". Eastwood: "Well, he should have armed himself if he's going to decorate his saloon with my friend." Or how about the brilliant Peter O'Toole: "The sight of royalty would cause you to dismiss all thoughts of bloodshed and you would stand in awe. Now, a president... well I mean... why not shoot a president?"

Let's not forget the quality of westerns from way back, like The Ox-Bow Incident or High Noon.