Last Movie You Watched

OK, well it's not a film, but I did finally watch Arrested Development (about 3 episodes) and was very amused indeed. It's clearly a grower as you get to know the characters better, but am already loving Buster, GOB and the bald bloke who's always crying in the shower.

I also didn't realise how star studded the cast is. Such a shame that Portia de Rossi is a lesbian. Or rather, such as shame she is a lesbian and going out with Ellen DeGeneres.

Three films i have watched recently are

1) Avatar - Dont need to describe this to anyone, absolutely breathtaking

2) Sherlock Holmes - great movie, has taken the sherlock holmes character back to how Arthur Conan portrayed him in his books and gave back that edge that was lost in the other crappy portrayals of it.

3) The lovely bones- very chilling movie and Sir Peter Jackson took this novel and transformed it into a movie beautifully. Should expect nothing less from a kiwi

Watching 'The Hours' right now. Not for the first time and certainly not for the last. A fabulous book and one of the finest book to screen adaptations for many a long year. It does what Virginia Woolf failed to do and make a small space of time utterly fascinating. (My wife will kill me if she reads I said that about Virginia Woolf)

Watching 'The Hours' right now. Not for the first time and certainly not for the last. A fabulous book and one of the finest book to screen adaptations for many a long year. It does what Virginia Woolf failed to do and make a small space of time utterly fascinating. (My wife will kill me if she reads I said that about Virginia Woolf)

Lovely movie and the three female leads (Moore, Streep and Kidman) are all absolutely amazing.

OK, well it's not a film, but I did finally watch Arrested Development (about 3 episodes) and was very amused indeed. It's clearly a grower as you get to know the characters better, but am already loving Buster, GOB and the bald bloke who's always crying in the shower.

I also didn't realise how star studded the cast is. Such a shame that Portia de Rossi is a lesbian. Or rather, such as shame she is a lesbian and going out with Ellen DeGeneres.

Trust me. You'll fall in love with the whole damn cast by the time you're through with it. Cherish every second as it will all be over for you soon! You only get to watch it for the first time...once.

Ellen lucked out.

Just finished watching "The Fantastic Mr. Fox" and I thought it was really good. You can tell right away that it's a Wes Anderson film and one has to like his kind of films to enjoy this I guess. Personally I loved for instance The Royal Tenenbaums, but I know quite a few didn't.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched "Inglorious Basterds" yesterday after reading some good reviews about it. I was surprised how good it was despite its length (2hrs 35 min) usually I get really bored when movies are that long but this movie was built up in certain chapters and kept me interested through all of it.

If you can't stand german/french language and having to read subtitles most of the time I would not watch it. Its pretty much 60 % german/french and 40% English spoken.

Very good movie tho!

Watched 2 films this weekend - Inglourious Basterds and 500 Days of Summer.

Inglourious - Everyone loves it...but I wasn't all that fussed. I enjoyed it yes, but there was something about it that I didn't like. What that "something" was though, I have no idea. I thought that maybe the final act was rushed, with 2 hours and 20 minutes building up to the big moment, and it's over in 5 minutes. I wouldn't've given it an 18 certificate either - it doesn't swear too much and I've seen 15s with more gore in it. And, seen as this is the first QT film I've seen, with people saying this is his best, it doesn't bode well from my point of view.

500 Days of Summer - I'd already seen this last year in the cinema, but I still loved every minute of it this time around. It's quirky, different, often hilarious, and makes you feel good afterwards. The soundtrack is superb, aswell. Top, top film.

I aim to watch Lost in Translation and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind by the end of this week too.

Watched Sherlock Holmes this weekend. Thought it was pretty good...Jude Law has done a pretty awesome job and the humor is nicely sprinkled all over the plot to make it a light hearted serious film.

Also watched Outlander. Not too great....some of the serious stuff which they wanted to portray looked a bit silly and funny.

Sherlock Holmes is really good (and Robert Downey Jr is brilliant...as usual).

Watched "The Road" last night and was a bit surprised. I had thought that it was going to be like a end of days-movie with disasters and stuff, but it wasn't.

The movie might take place during the end of days (appears to be so anyway), but we never get to know what has happened and to be honest it doesn't really matter that much because the film is more about a father trying to protect his son.

Apart from a few characters appearing for a few minutes every now and then (we're talking about perhaps 3-4 people) we basically just follow a man and his son. That is all.

Viggo Mortensen (from Lord of the Rings, Eastern Promises & A History of Violence) plays the father and Kodi Smit-McPhee plays the son. Both are absolutely amazing and the chemistry between them is perfect. Nice to see a child actor who can actually act really well.

Mortensen really should get more acknowledgement. He is a terrific actor and also seem to be a very down to earth kind of guy.

Charlize Theron and Robert Duvall appears as well (the latter just a few minutes) and does well.

"The Road" is not a movie for someone who wants to be entertained or want fast action. You want that kind of end of days movie then go watch the much worse 2012.

The Road is bleak, slow (though not boring) and in a way kinda depressing. I was too sad to even cry.

Great movie though. Not like most movies I've seen.

Avatar 3d - unbelievable visuals. No spoiler, I look forward to discussing this one later, and once I see it again...

ive spoken to a few mates who have seen it and they all said once you get over being blown away by the visual effects you soon get bored of it as the story just sort of ambles on and is very cliched.

Watched "Rock & Chips" at the weekend, not a movie as such but feature length at 90 mins. A kind of prequel to 'Only Fools & Horses', I thought it was excellent. Funny script, good acting, tied up a lot of loose ends for fans of the series. Set in 1960, Del Boy, Boycie, Denzil, Trigger & Slater were all about 15 years old, and Nicholas Lyndhurst (Rodders) played Freddie The Frog brilliantly. The music is authentic from the era too, great stuff.

"Put Johnny Ray on" ::clap2::

green street was one of the worst films i've ever seen!

try this one - The Penalty King (2006)

this is an imdb review

Suffering from the double disability of being both blind and a fervent Leeds United supporter, social worker Lee longs for nothing more to ease the frustrations of daily life than "a damn good kick-about". His unhinged colleague Charlie decides to make his dream come true, and inveigles him onto a local works football team. But will Lee ever get to exercise his preternatural talent for the penalty kick?

"The Penalty King" is an eccentric tale with a dark underside, although still more "Strictly Ballroom" than "Kes". Played by Nick Bartlett as a tightly-wound knot of barely contained aggression, Lee invites neither pity nor sympathy—more the impulse to duck behind a pillar when you see him coming. It's fair to say blindness is the least of his problems.

One senses writer/director Chris Cook went to some pretty dark places in his life for the raw materials for this fable, leading to an unsettling blend of truth and fantasy. For example, the portrait of the dank, dysfunctional social services depot where Lee works is both grotesquely over-the-top and strangely accurate. There's also a depth to the rest of the characters which is unusual in a comedy. Played with relish by a strong supporting cast, they're all pretty much bent or damaged too, and there's a violent and bitter edge to their relationships which undercuts the whimsy.

"Penalty King" might never achieve the crossover success of "Bend it like Beckham" but it still has all the makings of a cult favourite. It may lack a cart-wheeling Keira Knightley, but there are compensations, notably in the shape of the delightful but underused Clare Grogan (as Lee's bossy-boots boss), who still has the ability to make men of a certain age go weak at the knees. Her drunk scenes alone are worth the price of admission.

The film takes its own time to get going, and occasionally over-indulges itself, but can nevertheless sit alongside classics like "Sideways" and "Withnail and I" as an exploration of less creditable sides of the male psyche. An agreeable if not totally uplifting movie then, and, while something of a rough diamond, a gem all the same.

Watched "Rock & Chips" at the weekend, not a movie as such but feature length at 90 mins. A kind of prequel to 'Only Fools & Horses', I thought it was excellent. Funny script, good acting, tied up a lot of loose ends for fans of the series. Set in 1960, Del Boy, Boycie, Denzil, Trigger & Slater were all about 15 years old, and Nicholas Lyndhurst (Rodders) played Freddie The Frog brilliantly. The music is authentic from the era too, great stuff.

"Put Johnny Ray on" :)

I thought it was good too BB, loved the bit on the bus when they slung a saveloy out the window - brought back memories

Edited by bonetti