Romford Pele

Last Movie You Watched

I love these little English grammer lessons, almost makes me wish I'd payed attention in school!

If you'd paid attention in school, sweetie, you'd have written grammar! :wink:

But, no, I'm sure there were FAR more interesting things on your mind when you were at school - I know there were on mine!

In fact, Philip, I have realised that what is causing your confusion is the modern habit of confusing the meaning of the adverb "too" with the adverb "very". Were I to say "I can't praise it very highly" you would be correct in saying I had damned it with faint praise.

See?

Ah so. Wakari mas.

And thanks for your input, Youlots.

Edited by Phillip

'Confusion' is unnecessarily historicist moi; sardonicism, bias etc. are as attributable and therefore as equally valid as any other and more conventionally ascribed meaning you care to give the subject phrase.

and P.S. you can't say "as equally vallid" either say "as valid" or "equally valid" but not both.

And the moral of this story is Do not teach your grandmopther to suck eggs. (though I've never really understood where that comes from!)

and P.S. you can't say "as equally vallid" either say "as valid" or "equally valid" but not both.

And the moral of this story is Do not teach your grandmopther to suck eggs. (though I've never really understood where that comes from!)

But can you teach your Grandmother to suck eggs (if she does not own a mop)?

Edited by bonetti

My aged memory is leading me astray, I fear - is youlots a solicitor? or was he done for soliciting? ..or are the two synonymous? ::MooNeY::

Edited by moi

I finally watched the Hollywood version of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo tonight. I'm handicapped by having watched all of the original Swedish films, so nothing came as a surprise.

Nevertheless, some things stood out. Rooney Mara was outstanding and so was Christopher Plummer. The others not so much, especially Daniel Craig, who felt miscast. I also felt that the film didn't do enough to show us how downtrodden Lisbeth had been all her life. The original did a far better job of making us appreciate her vulnerability and how she'd been abused. In this version, her chops and assertiveness dominate, at the expense of engendering our sympathy.

Only two scenes really got to me on an emotional level. The first was when Lisbeth and Blomkvist meet in her kitchen. It's the only time Daniel Craig felt the part. When he tells her he's searching for the killer of women, it clicks perfectly. The only other scene that works perfectly is the reunion at the end. It actually works better than in the original film. Powerful, and Plummer gets a lot of the credit for that.

Other than the above notes, the only other thing that surprised me is the amount of nudity. I hadn't been expecting it and I'm not sure why it's there (other than to sell tickets.)

Like the original, I'd say it was pretty good movie, without being exceptional. I hope the series doesn't follow the Swedish curve, which went steadily downwards with each successive film.

Edited by wxwax

So, that made me go back and read what I'd written about the Swedish original when it was in the theaters. I guess I wasn't as impressed as I remember being.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Loomi Rapace

Michael Nyqvist

Story by Stieg Larsson

Directed by Niels Arden Oplev

It doesn't take long for Girl With The Dragon Tattoo to tip its hand. Inside of five minutes we're presented with a television reporter doing a typical live shot from outside a courthouse. Well, typical in every way except that she's prominently, ostentatiously pregnant.

Ah. Female power. Gotcha. In the ensuing two hours we learn that women are lesbians because they were raped as children. That women are smarter and stronger than men. That victims are allowed to be warped by their past but that criminals are not. And that it's quite OK for a female to play the traditional male role and for the male to more or less play the traditional female role.

That last one is especially OK because the female in question happens to be the very best thing about this movie. Her name's Noomi Rapace and she plays a pierced, tattooed punkish girl with a very violent streak who also happens to be a whiz at the internet thingie and has a crackerjack memory. I'd like to say she's complicated but that's being a bit generous to the writer, Swedish novelist Stieg Larsson. But she is interesting in a malevolent, raped-as-a-child kind of way.

Rapace becomes entangled in the life of an investigative journalist who's hired to solve a 40 year old case of a missing girl. And if Rapace is the best thing about this movie, then the impact she has on the reporter's life, thin gruel though it may be, is the second best. Third best is the actual plot of the movie, a somewhat complicated whodunnit replete with sex, sadism and, of course, murder. Salacious stuff somehow rendered limp, save for a handful of electric scenes with Rapace and her probation officer.

I understand that Larsson wrote three novels based on these characters, popped them off to his publisher, then dropped dead. He never saw them become an international success. I also understand that this Swedish movie (with subtitles) is the first of three films to be based on his books. In the next film I look forward to seeing how Rapace's character develops and grows. She's really quite interesting. And I hold out hope that the girl power message is supported by stronger story and is energized by a director with a more skillful grasp of pacing and tension.

I think that Rooney Mara was really good, but her accent ruined it for me. First of all it sounds weird and not at all like a swede trying to speak english. Secondly, the fact that most of the english speaking actors in the movie use their native language. They don't fool around with trying to sound swedish. So Mara's accent stands out a mile and far from making her performance believable it just made me laugh.

As for the movie I can't say I enjoyed it very much. Didn't much care for the swedish version, but I'd take that one ahead of the american one.

All the "let's make an american movie in Sweden and make it a bit swedish as well" just isn't working. Pick one nation and language and stick with it. Don't mix them together if you don't have to.

I think the movie would have been better if they'd taken the story and put it in USA instead. Make a 100% american version of the swedish movie. Easier and better.

Just look at "Let the right one in" and it's american version.

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol.

The best MI movie so far if im honest! Good acting, great effects and never got boring, some humour in the mix as well - definitely worth a watch.

Watched "Intouchables" yesterday. A french movie about a young man from the projects who is hired as caretaker for a quadriplegic.

Really good movie and quite funny as well.

I went to see 'Cabin in the woods' I quite enjoyed it however I wouldn't pay the money again, but if you could get it via emmm.... other means, it's worth a watch! A lot of people in the cinema didn't rate it though.

Watched "Intouchables" yesterday. A french movie about a young man from the projects who is hired as caretaker for a quadriplegic.

Really good movie and quite funny as well.

Very funny indeed. The young man is black. He is unemployed and wishes to remain so, but he has to accept to go on job interviews. So with absolutely no qualifications he goes on a job interview to care for a rich middle-aged right-wing quadriplegic. All the other interviewees are professionals who express pity and assure the paralysed man of their ability to care for him. The black man laughs and jokes with him like "F**k man what a state you're in. Glad I'm not you." And when he is offered the job he says, "No, no, you just have to sign to say I turned up for the interview."

Obviously, he ends up doing the job and they have great fun together.

At the end of the film you see the REAL people (because it is in fact a true story). The only thing that slightly grated on me is that in the real story the black man is very slightly brown, whereas in the film, presumably in order to heavily underline the race card, the actor was very black. But that was just a slight detail. The important thing is that in real life these two men are the best of friends.

Edited by moi

Watched Inception the other night, I'm still confused!

Think I need to watch it again.

I wouldn't bother if I were you, Sheddie. Watch the Usual Suspects instead!

I watched 12 Angry Men (sadly the remake, although it was still good) and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner over the last couple of days. Enjoyed both very much, I'll definitely be watching the original of the former soon.

I have to admit I haven't seen the original, so I can't comment on how much they've changed the script/characters, but everyone tells me the original is far better. I did still enjoy it a lot, especially George C Scott (the cantankerous old man who only turns at the end), Armin Mueller-Stahl (the rational stockbroker), Jack Lemmon (Henry Fonda's role) and Edward James Olmos (the European watchmaker).