Last Movie You Watched

Is it not cool to judge a film by the acting any more?

It is, but aren't we allowed to talk about the technological issues? HFR is the biggest technological change in movies since 24 frames per second was accepted as the norm, so obviously it will get people talking.

If suddenly after around 80 years someone had the nerve to introduce good dialogue and great acting into movies, I'm sure it would get people talking. Some would like it, but I'm sure many would object to such "unnecessary snobbery".

It is, but aren't we allowed to talk about the technological issues? HFR is the biggest technological change in movies since 24 frames per second was accepted as the norm, so obviously it will get people talking.

If suddenly after around 80 years someone had the nerve to introduce good dialogue and great acting into movies, I'm sure it would get people talking. Some would like it, but I'm sure many would object to such "unnecessary snobbery".

LOL! Of course you are!  After all technology has allowed us to do this :happy001:

I just find it a bit strange that nobody mentions the acting or the script, the dialogue etc  Was Martin Freeman a good Bilbo?

I just find it a bit strange that nobody mentions the acting or the script, the dialogue etc  Was Martin Freeman a good Bilbo?

But we have. Just before the techno-babble we were discussing scenes which were well done (and which were not), pacing, choices made when adapting the source material, etc.

Acting is alright in Hobbit, although there are some weak links. Martin Freeman is good and even excellent in some scenes. Sylvester McCoy? Not so much. It's a good thing he doesn't get much screen time.

Edited by Maksimov

Has anyone else here ever felt that they have too many movies they want to see?

Recently I've mostly watched tv-series (been hooked on The Big Bang Theory and Modern Family) so apart from Skyfall and The Hobbit I haven't seen a lot of movies. Well I did see Some Like It Hot on tv a week ago and it's still amazing, but apart from that, very few movies.

Because of that, the list of movies I have and want to see grows longer every day.

Current list:

Django Unchained

The Bourne Legacy

Hope Springs

Beasts of the Southern Wild

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Amour

Cloud Atlas

John Dies at the End

Grabbers

The Impossible

End of Watch

And some others I'd like to see:

Elf

The Prime of Jean Brody

Les Miserables (the live musical, not the movie)

Rec 3

The Campaign

Porco Rosso

The good thing is that there's no shortage of movies to chose from, but not only do I feel I'm way behind on my movie watching, but it is also getting more and more difficult to decide which one I'm going to see next.

when close up shots were introduced (instead of showing the actors from head to toe) back in the early 1900s, the movie going public were outraged as they had paid good money to see the stars of the movie and they wanted to see them in their full glory. They felt cheated that they saw only parts of them. 

Similarly when broadcasters started showing films on TV in letterbox format people complained because of the black space at the top and bottom of frame, they thought they were being cheated out of their license fee not realizing they were actually seeing the whole frame instead of the truncated version due to pan and scan.

Similarly when broadcasters started showing films on TV in letterbox format people complained because of the black space at the top and bottom of frame, they thought they were being cheated out of their license fee not realizing they were actually seeing the whole frame instead of the truncated version due to pan and scan.

And some people watch old programs that were originally broadcast in 4:3 in all sorts of weird "wrong ways", because they don't want to see that black space on their telly when they've paid for that fancy wide screen television.

Some people watch the "stretched"(4:3 stretched to fill the 16:9 space) picture. I can't understand how it is better to watch a totally wonky picture instead of having the black bars on the sides.

The slightly better option is that some people use one of them zoom functions, which crops part of the picture out. But this means that you won't see part of the picture. A bit like pan & scan, except that in pan & scan someone attempted to find the best possible composition for each picture. Here you'll get equally bad compositions all through the programme and you're lucky if it looks good even once during the programme. Of course if you're watching a subtitled programme or something with lower third graphics, you won't see them all and might miss something important. But hey, at least you won't see those ugly black bars.

And then there are those who use the so called "smart zoom", which is anything but smart. It both stretches the picture slightly AND zooms in a bit, which means you're looking at a wonky picture AND you're not even seeing the whole picture. Beautiful! :happy001:

And some people use those zoom functions with 16:9 programmes as well... No idea why they would do so, though.

Decided to start watching making that list I wrote earlier shorter by actually seeing one of the movies. Went with "The Impossible".

It's a movie about the tsunami in 2004. A family is on vacation in Khao Lak. Husband, wife and three boys.

All is well, until the wave hits. The wife and her eldest son manages to stay together, but the rest is gone. She is wounded and with the help of her son has to find help.

Wont say much more about the movie because there is quite a few things happening.

All I can say is this: If you decide to see this movie, bring lots of tissues.

I think I cried throughout most of the movie.

So many emotional scenes.

The movie is based on a true story. Apparently the director Juan Antonio Bayona heard a woman on the radio talk about what happened to her and her family in this catastrophy and was so moved that he decided to make a movie about it.

But instead of making it about a spanish family he made it with Naomi Watts as the mother and Ewan McGregor as the father. 

No matter if it was the right decision or not, both Watts and McGregor does a great job in it. But I'm inclined to say that they are outshone by young Tom Holland who plays the eldest son. He's very impressive. Might become a brilliant actor in the future.

All in all, it's a really good movie which will probably bring more than one tear to your eyes.

Saw "Beasts of the Southern Wild" today and rather enjoyed it. It's not a long movie, but I thought it would be one of those that just drags on forever, but it didn't. The story was okay, but what really made it worth seeing was Quvenzhané Wallis - the then 6 year old who plays the main character Hushpuppy.

She was nominated for an Oscar this year and I can't say she didn't deserve it. She carried the movie and was really good.

I couldn't help but care for her character and didn't want to stop following her story.

Just finished "Les Miserables". Two and a half hours of singing. And I f*cking loved it.

What an amazing movie. Great story (though I would have liked to see more), the acting was brilliant and the singing surprisingly good.

I've never been a fan of Russel Crowe, but I really liked him in this one and the guy can actually sing. Eddie Redmayne was a pleasant surprise as well. Hugh Jackman - superb.

Anne Hathaway, brilliant. And the rest was great as well.

And there were quite a few emotional scenes. When Hathaway sang "I Dreamed A Dream" I cried so much.

Before I saw it I thought the constant singing could be a problem, but after about ten minutes I barely noticed it apart from the songs. It just flowed and worked really well. Brilliant idea to have the cast sing live as well. Gave it a more genuine feeling. Suited this type of movie.

Having said this, I would not mind it if they did a miniseries of the book without the singing. BBC has done some good ones, why not have a go at this story?

Anyway, the movie was brilliant.

Just finished "Les Miserables". Two and a half hours of singing. And I f*cking loved it.

What an amazing movie. Great story (though I would have liked to see more), the acting was brilliant and the singing surprisingly good.

I've never been a fan of Russel Crowe, but I really liked him in this one 

I heard that Russell Crowe can't sing for toffee. I do want to see it though, even though i'm not that into the whole singing thing. But every time i see the trailer i get more and more intrigued. It will be nice to see something different for a change.

Saying that I saw Life of Pi most recently. Really good film! Best 3D i've ever seen and that Tiger was the best CGI on film. You could have sworn it was real. 

I heard that Russell Crowe can't sing for toffee. I do want to see it though, even though i'm not that into the whole singing thing. But every time i see the trailer i get more and more intrigued. It will be nice to see something different for a change.

Saying that I saw Life of Pi most recently. Really good film! Best 3D i've ever seen and that Tiger was the best CGI on film. You could have sworn it was real. 

I really enjoyed Life of Pi as well, it was very faithful to the book and as you said the 3D was spectacular. There's a lot a talk about religion and faith at the start which I found quite interesting personally, although I can understand why some people might get bored (like all the young kids in the cinema who were just there to see zebras and tigers in 3D). I think this backstory is important to a lot of what comes after though. The CGI animals are unbelievably life-like, and from a purely aesthetic view-point it is one of the most stunning looking films I've seen.

Another film I saw recently and loved was Another Earth. Ostentatiously it's a relatively low budget sci-fi about the discovery of another planet in the solar system that is identical to Earth in every way (I think it was hidden behind the sun or something, hence it not being seen before), but really it centres on the story of a young girl (played by Brit Marling, who also wrote the story) who kills the family of college professor in a drink-driving accident, and her subsequent attempts to make amends to the victim and to come to terms with her own guilt. The second Earth offers hope to the characters in the form of another chance in an alternative reality. I found the story quite affecting, and the performances of the lead actors is very understated and believable.

Indeed, it might just snatch the Best Cinematography Oscar...

I've yet to see the movie, but looking at that still, I think it's a digital composition shot and therefore isn't really the cinematographer's work.

It's been a while since a movie came out when just a few still images were enough to convince me that I must see it and that I must see it in a theater. The Fall was the previous one, if you must know.

I've yet to see the movie, but looking at that still, I think it's a digital composition shot and therefore isn't really the cinematographer's work.

It doesn't matter either way, it was just one example showing how stunning the film looked, digital composition or not. There were loads of other shots without the aid of digital composition which make it a hot contender for Skyfall.

Personally i want Skyfall to win it but it's up against stiff competition. 

Never seen The Fall.

Indeed, it might just snatch the Best Cinematography Oscar from Roger Deakins' work in Skyfall. Purely because of this shot:

Life-of-Pi6.jpg

I must admit, as lovely as it is, that shot breaks the illusion for me slightly. It's too perfect to be believable, I might be wrong but I can't ever imagine the Pacific Ocean being so flat.

Edited by bluedave