Last Movie You Watched

I must admit, as lovely as it is, that shot breaks the illusion for me slightly. It's too perfect to be believable, I might be wrong but I can't ever imagine the Pacific Ocean being so flat.

True- it would never be that flat- but it's more a 'calm after the storm' motif, showing Pi's isolation or some such metaphor i'm guessing. 

The whole film itself is just a beautiful painting really, so in my eyes it doesn't break any illisuion, it's just part of it. 

Here's a trailer for The Fall:

Probably the most visually stunning new movie I've seen this side of the millenium.

It certainly looks very colourful!

I liked the matched cut of that man's grinning face to into the desert background. Whether or not that was just for the trailer i don't know. But it's the sort of film i'd like to see! 

Gerard Depardieu did one in 2001

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0230534/

There was also a film based on Hugo's book which was made some time ago.  Will try to find it for you.

Here it is - 1998 with Liam Neeson as Jean Valjean

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119683/

Thanks. I think I've heard about the one with Neeson before, but seeing as the new movie is longer and still seems to have cut some parts out so as not to be too long, I doubt the movie from 1998 will have more story seeing as it's shorter. Might still be worth seeing though.

Will have to keep an eye out for the other one as well.

I heard that Russell Crowe can't sing for toffee. I do want to see it though, even though i'm not that into the whole singing thing. But every time i see the trailer i get more and more intrigued. It will be nice to see something different for a change.

Crowe isn't great when it comes to singing, but he's not bad either. He's got an okay voice for the part and keeps his singing quite simple. It works. I've heard much worse. Though compared to the others in the movie, he might be a few steps behind.

Thanks. I think I've heard about the one with Neeson before, but seeing as the new movie is longer and still seems to have cut some parts out so as not to be too long, I doubt the movie from 1998 will have more story seeing as it's shorter. Might still be worth seeing though.

Will have to keep an eye out for the other one as well.

Crowe isn't great when it comes to singing, but he's not bad either. He's got an okay voice for the part and keeps his singing quite simple. It works. I've heard much worse. Though compared to the others in the movie, he might be a few steps behind.

If it's the full story you want, Moos, the best thing to do is to read Victor Hugo's les Misérables.

I've yet to see the movie, but looking at that still, I think it's a digital composition shot and therefore isn't really the cinematographer's work.

It's been a while since a movie came out when just a few still images were enough to convince me that I must see it and that I must see it in a theater. The Fall was the previous one, if you must know.

The Fall was brilliant, but as good as the cinematography was, it was Lee Pace's performance that really sold me. 

I just can't bring myself to pay to see Les Mis. I've seen it on Broadway, I've heard the OCR, there's just no way that the likes of Anne Hathaway and Russell Crowe wouldn't disappoint me with their singing. Visually, it does look like an imaginative adaptation of the source material, but I wish it wasn't a musical.

Incidentally: 

http://youtu.be/hUCZywEwbvo

Edited by That Boy Brandinho

In the last few days I've seen Argo, Lincoln and Django Unchained.

I thought Argo would be better. It was good, but not worthy of the high praise it got in my opnion.

Lincoln is good. Daniel Day Lewis is predictably brilliant and should secure another Oscar.

Django is typical Tarrantino, and I mean that in a good way. Christoph Waltz and Leonardo DiCaprio are really good in this. A lot of the shoot out scenes are a bit over the top and stupid, but it's something you'd expect in a Tarantino movie. Special mention also for some really funny scenes, particularly featuring Samuel L. Jackson.

I've watched a few films over the last 2 days that I've been really impressed with...

Django Unchained : This has got quite a bit of stick, but I thought it was an exceptionally good film, Sure there is racism used in it but I think people are kidding themselves if they think it is out of place in the film. I wouldn't of said it was over used.As for the over the top gory stuff. I'm quite perplexed by peoples opinion on this, if you're going to see a Tarantino film, you should know by now what his films involve. Anyway great watch and I'd recommend it.

Dredd : I can understand why some people would dislike this as it's quite a slow moving story and a limited area. However, if you're a fan of the comics or in my case it was playing the game when I was a kid, the line 'I am the law' is worth the watch in itself, and you'll probably really enjoy it.

The Expendables 2 : Although having watched it through it is very cliche and I can understand peoples distaste for it. Personally I found it quite humerous and enjoyable to see all of these cult action heroes in one movie again and their corny one liners. I can't help but feel nostalgic when watching Arnie or Sly.

And last but not least...

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter : This ones a tricky one, the action scenes are really enjoyable, however the story is a bit slow moving and jumps a large span of time that seems to just go missing. There is also a political interest in it aswell although not factually true (as you could tell by the title) It does go about showing the charismatic, and intelligent side to Abraham Lincoln.

Had trouble sleeping last night and as a result I found myself standing in front of my DVD collection at 03:30hrs. Being unsure of what I wanted to watch I closed my eyes, reached out and took the first one that came to hand.

I wasn’t disappointed with my choice as I had picked out Fargo.

Been a few years since I had seen it but nervertheless thoroughly enjoyed it all over again.

I've got a uni exam on European cinema on Tuesday, and I'm absolutely sick to death of Goodbye Lenin after having watched it over and over again for revision.

I take it that the exam is on modern European cinema(?)

During my studies I took a course on movie analysis and for a while I was so bored of Kurosawa's Rashomon. I watched that movie SO many times... Over and over and over and over...

I take it that the exam is on modern European cinema(?)

During my studies I took a course on movie analysis and for a while I was so bored of Kurosawa's Rashomon. I watched that movie SO many times... Over and over and over and over...

Yep, post-war European cinema.

I haven't seen Rashomon yet, but probably will because my course is Japanese & German! Did you do Japanese as well then?

I can't remember anything about that film apart from it has Tom Hanks in it, and I that I hated it.

Totally wrong actor for the job. Then again, I usually can't stand Tom Hanks, so I may be a bit biased. He's produced some quality television, though.

As for the movie... Hopelessly forgettable.

I haven't seen Rashomon yet, but probably will because my course is Japanese & German! Did you do Japanese as well then?

No, I had to rely on subtitles. We had a wonderful movie archive in the city where I lived at the time. It was the only place I was able to find the movie at the time.

Totally wrong actor for the job. Then again, I usually can't stand Tom Hanks, so I may be a bit biased. He's produced some quality television, though.

As for the movie... Hopelessly forgettable.

Band of Brothers and The Pacific are both great TV, I'm not aware of anything else he's produced that I've seen though.

As an actor, for me he'll forever be Josh the man-child from Big.

ooh, haven't seen that one before! I'll definitely give it a watch.

My favourite German film has to be Sophie Scholl. Great film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0426578/

Sophie Scholl is a very good film, but there are others that I prefer if you're looking for modern German cinema.

Das Leben der Anderen - 2006

Der Untergang - 2004

Die Fälscher - 2007

Die fetten Jahre sind vorbei - 2004

Das Experiment - 2001

Die Welle - 2008

Antikörper - 2005

Das weiße Band wasn't a bad movie, but I found myself disappointed. I'm usually a big fan of Haneke's work, but DwB struck me as a bizarre amalgamation of Von Trier's Dogville and the French movie Caché (which Haneke also wrote). Personally, I thought that a lot of the questions that he asks in DwB were explored more successfully in Caché. Visually, though, DwB is gorgeous. 

Sophie Scholl is a very good film, but there are others that I prefer if you're looking for modern German cinema.

Das Leben der Anderen - 2006

Der Untergang - 2004

Die Fälscher - 2007

Die fetten Jahre sind vorbei - 2004

Das Experiment - 2001

Die Welle - 2008

Antikörper - 2005

Das weiße Band wasn't a bad movie, but I found myself disappointed. I'm usually a big fan of Haneke's work, but DwB struck me as a bizarre amalgamation of Von Trier's Dogville and the French movie Caché (which Haneke also wrote). Personally, I thought that a lot of the questions that he asks in DwB were explored more successfully in Caché. Visually, though, DwB is gorgeous. 

I have seen a few of those, Die Wolke is a good one as well. And try Sonnenallee - it's another East German film.

Band of Brothers and The Pacific are both great TV, I'm not aware of anything else he's produced that I've seen though.

He was the executive producer for the mini series "From the Earth to the Moon".  I think it's quite interesting that with both "Band of Brothers" and "From the Earth to the Moon" he first starred in a movie that handled very similar subject matter ("Saving Private Ryan" and "Band of Brothers" + "Apollo 13" and "From the Earth to the Moon") and then went on to produce a mini series in which he didn't act (well, he does these little introductory speeches at the beginning of each episode of "From the Earth to the Moon", but I don't count that), but which was better and more interesting than the movie. "The Pacific" was a bit disappointing, though. "Band of Brothers" had the same core of characters and a story arc from the first episode to the last, but the only thing that seemed to hold "The Pacific" together (just barely) was that all episodes told about battles in roughly the same part of the world. I know it was based on a couple of books, but as a whole I thought it was a bit of a mess.