Lofty's Wall of Sound - What are you listening to?

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Although my favorite band by far are Saint Etienne, I listen to a wide variety of music.

Recent faves include:

Foxbase Beta - Richard X's reworking of Foxbase Alpha, Saint Etienne's Classic debut album

Saint Etienne Present Songs for the Dog & Duck - a far more cohesive compilation than the previous 'Mario's Cafe' set

The Small Hours by Eliot - a recent discovery (thanks to the StEt mailing list!) that includes 'Love To Be Real', a gorgeous track heavily inspired by Saint Etienne's 'Former Lover'.

Sock It To 'Em J.J.: The Soul Years by Jimmy James and The Vagabonds - another recent discovery, this 2-CD set pulsates with '60s style soul and energy.

Foot Stomping Soul by Geno Washington and the Ram Jam Band - in a similar vein to the Jimmy James set, picked up on a recommendation, my very latest CD purchase.

Walking The Line: The Legendary Sun Recordings by Johnny Cash - no home should be without a Johnny Cash compilation, and this set is not only one of the best available, but is also a total bargain.

Afterglow by Dot Allison - her debut solo CD and still her best output to date, not quite on a level with One Dove's 'Morning White Dove' perhaps, but still a classic in it's own right.

Not to worry, I haven't heard any of these either!

I have a few albums on the go at the moment:

Only Revolutions by Biffy Clyro - not as good as their 2007 album, Puzzle, but it's still brilliant.

21st Century Breakdown by Green Day - need no explanation.

Brand New Eyes by Paramore - not as good as their 2007 album, Riot!, but still a good listen.

The '59 Sound by The Gaslight Anthem - I have to thank the people on here for this one, it's absolutely outstanding.

Kris Allen by, err, Kris Allen - the winner of American Idol *cringe*, but this is a good album with an acousticy feel

and finally:

Poetry of the Deed by Frank Turner - one of my favourite artists, probably of all time, and though I didn't like this album to start with, it's grown on me a lot and is really, really good!

Edited by Ruh Buh Juh

The '59 Sound by The Gaslight Anthem

It's a pretty good record, but if you haven't listened to it already I recommend getting Sink or Swim. I think it's better than The '59 Sound.

I've had my iPod on shuffle for a while now, so there's too many songs to mention here, but the songs from Jay Reatard's Matador Singles '08 have been playing a lot recently and many Toots and the Maytals(from various albums) songs as well.

What does your age have to do with it?

I just think the songs are better on Sink or Swim, but the production is better on The '59 Sound.

I think that's it actually, when a band gets signed up to a big label, all the songs are produced a lot better and sound much better.

And it's something to do with my age because the newer music these days (in my opinion, anyway) is much better produced than the older stuff. Like, for instance, some of my dad's music from back in the day sounds terrible, and yet he and a lot of his mates think it's one of the best songs ever made.

Like, for instance, some of my dad's music from back in the day sounds terrible, and yet he and a lot of his mates think it's one of the best songs ever made.

And it shall come to pass that you too will be casting aspersions upon the music of the young, and harking fondly back to the past when they made DECENT music! Look at Loz - he does it the whole time!

Muse and just got a complaint from downstairs for it being too loud! It was quiet, what is wrong with people!

People are just SO intolerant! (It took me a wee while to work out that Muse and Just hadn't phoned you to tell you that downstairs were griping!)

Put on Bruce Springsteen singing Glory Days!

You know I might just do that! f**king people, it wasn't loud, it was on the computer with pissy speakers and a small woofer!

Either that or BLAST them with some classical music - I'll send you a bit of Farinelli if I can do it on my dial-up!

No, I can't - it was going to take 2 hours! Must treat myself to broadband once I've got christmas sorted!

Edited by moi

I'm currently converting some of my old cassettes to mp3, so my listening has been somewhat restricted to the albums I've been doing. Most recent albums converted...

The Velvet Underground - "Loaded"

MSG - "One Night At Budokan"

The Mothers Of Invention - "Trick Or Treat"

The Heptones - "Party Time"

Bad Manners - "Return Of The Ugly"

Bad Manners - "Ska'n'B"

U2 - "Rattle And Hum"

Van Morrison - "The Best Of Van Morrison (and Them)"

Biffy Clyro

Green Day

Paramore

the winner of American Idol

And to think I used to be under the impression you were cool. ;)

The Velvet Underground - "Loaded"

MSG - "One Night At Budokan"

The Mothers Of Invention - "Trick Or Treat"

The Heptones - "Party Time"

Bad Manners - "Return Of The Ugly"

Bad Manners - "Ska'n'B"

U2 - "Rattle And Hum"

Van Morrison - "The Best Of Van Morrison (and Them)"

Much more like it! I haven't actually listened to any Michael Schenker Group for a while... might give 'Armed and Ready' a blast tonight.

Hit them with this at full volume!

I was enjoying this, until Dutch actor Jeroen Krabbé showed his mug (he's the one poking Farinelli with his walking stick). I had forgotten he ruined the film for me!

Edited by Valerie

I was enjoying this, until Dutch actor Jeroen Krabbé showed his mug (he's the one poking Farinelli with his walking stick). I had forgotten he ruined the film for me!

Yes, he was FOUL, wasn't he! Nothing to do with his Dutchdom, Dutchness, Dutchnicity etc etc though!

You know I might just do that! f**king people, it wasn't loud, it was on the computer with pissy speakers and a small woofer!

They're probably not moaning about the music mate..more likely the little Dog ;)

Anyone remember this classic rocker from the mid-seventies? I've still got the single and the album it's on, but haven't played it for years - great stuff!

If you haven't heard it before, listen to the lyrics carefully - it's a tragic song of teenage angst ;)