Lofty's Wall of Sound - What are you listening to?

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I think that's it actually, when a band gets signed up to a big label, all the songs are produced a lot better and sound much better.

And it's something to do with my age because the newer music these days (in my opinion, anyway) is much better produced than the older stuff. Like, for instance, some of my dad's music from back in the day sounds terrible, and yet he and a lot of his mates think it's one of the best songs ever made.

To me more money spent on production doesn't necessarily result in better sounding production. Sometimes big money production makes the music too polished and that doesn't suit all kinds of music. Bands like Muse need that polished huge sounding production, because that's their thing, but there are some of my favorite albums that I probably wouldn't even like if the production was more polished. Sometimes the lo-fi production actually benefits the music and gives it more character. Old ska records are a great example. I like the sound on many of those old Jamaican records and I love The Specials, but I've got a CD with old Desmond Dekker songs re-recorded(in the '90s) by the man himself with The Specials as his backing band, but the production is just crap, although it's definitely been done with more modern equipment and it sounds more polished. I'm pretty sure that if those versions had been the first versions of those songs, they wouldn't be regarded as classics like the old original versions are. Sometimes it's better with "warts and all" as it sometimes gives the record more charm. Sometimes poor production makes the record sound crappy, but I've got loads of records on my shelves that sound more charming because they are not all that polished. Some records you can immediately recognize from the way it sounds and sadly that's getting rare with many of the big money releases these days.

Hi again, there certainly are some interesting contributions to this thread!

Of course I'm still dipping into the recent batch of Saint Etienne re-releases. Not too fond of Sound Of Water, but the others - Foxbase Alpha, Continental, and So Tough are amazing. Recent non-StEt stuff to hit my CD player/mp3 player includes:

The Best of Del Amitri - I had totally forgotten what a good band they were until a good friend reminded me. Pure quality, easy to listen to without being easy listening..

It's All Over Now Baby Blue by Marianne Faithfull - I'm very fond of this CD, which is taken from her 'forgotten period' between the days when she was better known for being Mick Jagger's girlfriend than her music, and the Broken English/Ballad of Lucy Jordan era classics.

It's Like This by Rickie Lee Jones - another (fantastic) CD full of cover versions but Ms Jones gives each song a fresh take. Wonderful CD from another almost forgotten singer. This CD took me to:

Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys by Traffic - the title song of which is covered by Rickie Lee on It's Like This. I really do love discovering unexpected connections; an obvious example being Saint Etienne covering Neil Young; I wonder, can anyone name The Equals song covered by The Clash?

Blue Lady by Petula Clark - yes I am serious. This is a wonderful CD recorded in Nashville that is quite unlike anything else the lady ever recorded. I would urge anyone with an open musical mind to give this CD a listen should you ever be fortunate enough to have the opportunity.

Orson Welles' 19blah-di-blah radio broadcast of War Of The Worlds - genuinely scary and wonderfully done.

Gonna follow that with Walken reading Poe and CBS Mystery Radio Theatre doing Dracula.

The wonders of Morpheus, eh?

To me more money spent on production doesn't necessarily result in better sounding production. Sometimes big money production makes the music too polished and that doesn't suit all kinds of music. Bands like Muse need that polished huge sounding production, because that's their thing, but there are some of my favorite albums that I probably wouldn't even like if the production was more polished. Sometimes the lo-fi production actually benefits the music and gives it more character. Old ska records are a great example. I like the sound on many of those old Jamaican records and I love The Specials, but I've got a CD with old Desmond Dekker songs re-recorded(in the '90s) by the man himself with The Specials as his backing band, but the production is just crap, although it's definitely been done with more modern equipment and it sounds more polished. I'm pretty sure that if those versions had been the first versions of those songs, they wouldn't be regarded as classics like the old original versions are. Sometimes it's better with "warts and all" as it sometimes gives the record more charm. Sometimes poor production makes the record sound crappy, but I've got loads of records on my shelves that sound more charming because they are not all that polished. Some records you can immediately recognize from the way it sounds and sadly that's getting rare with many of the big money releases these days.

You're clearly a much more knowledgable man in this subject, Maks.

I don't know, it's just sometimes I hear a new record (it has to be with proper instruments, none of this dance/rave/electro crap), it sounds very neat and well done, inevitably each verse reaches a high point, goes to the catchy chorus, and starts again with verse 2, and if you're lucky, you might here a bridge or a solo of some sort from the more mainstream bands. But, every now and then (for instance, yesterday, I was in the car with my dad, and he had an old Squeeze album on, much of it just the lead singer and his acoustic guitar - I'm a sucker for anything acoustic - and it was just plain and simple, and I loved it, I was straight onto Spotify/Napster/Youtube trying to find the songs I liked) I hear a real gem, one that hasn't been touched up too much, and it's utterly brilliant from years gone by. My main problem is that I've grown up in an age where well-produced music is the only stuff around - The Gaslights are a wonderful exception as after listening to Sink Or Swim more and more, it's proved to be one superb album - everything has to be just right. It does say something about our society today, where anything with any imperfections (a bum note by the singer, guitar etc.) is frowned upon, but that's what gave the old music some character, and sadly, I missed out on them, and I'm gutted I did.

I definitely wouldn't say I'm more knowledgeable, because I think these things are just down to everyone's personal taste and there's not a single truth to these things. Because I have never studied music or played an instrument, I can't always explain why some records sound great to me even if the technical quality is not all that great, but I always base my opinons on what the music makes me feel like, rather than how well or poorly they play. If sloppy playing and/or lo-fi production sounds genuinely rocking, then it's enough for me. I'm not against slick big money production, mind you, because some bands and albums need to sound like that. If the production suits the music, I don't care if what or how it was produced. For me it's all about the vibes that the music creates.

Maksimov is awesomely knowledgeable!

I'd love to say that I am, but unfortunately that's clearly not the case. It's just that The Clash is one of my all time favorite bands and I like some of the stuff The Equals have done as well.

I dislike Eurotechno as much as anyone, but I'm really enjoying an album called 'Discovery' by Daft Punk. It's different to most other stuff I listen to, but I still like it.

How do you define Eurotechno? I've always thought Eurotechno is bands like 2-Unlimited, Aqua, Ace of Bass, Scooter and all of that Eurovision style crap. Compared to them Daft Punk seems almost like Kraftwerk to me. ;)

The worst thing I've heard in ages is "Donk", or whatever they call it. I remember seeing a programme about the music scene on VBS.tv

Oh wait, this one has to be one of the worst things I've EVER heard:

If you haven't already heard it, you might not want to press play on that video(it's THAT bad). YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

I don't know, it's just sometimes I hear a new record (it has to be with proper instruments, none of this dance/rave/electro crap), it sounds very neat and well done, inevitably each verse reaches a high point, goes to the catchy chorus, and starts again with verse 2, and if you're lucky, you might here a bridge or a solo of some sort from the more mainstream bands. But, every now and then (for instance, yesterday, I was in the car with my dad, and he had an old Squeeze album on, much of it just the lead singer and his acoustic guitar - I'm a sucker for anything acoustic - and it was just plain and simple, and I loved it, I was straight onto Spotify/Napster/Youtube trying to find the songs I liked) I hear a real gem, one that hasn't been touched up too much, and it's utterly brilliant from years gone by. My main problem is that I've grown up in an age where well-produced music is the only stuff around - The Gaslights are a wonderful exception as after listening to Sink Or Swim more and more, it's proved to be one superb album - everything has to be just right. It does say something about our society today, where anything with any imperfections (a bum note by the singer, guitar etc.) is frowned upon, but that's what gave the old music some character, and sadly, I missed out on them, and I'm gutted I did.

Your dad is clearly a man of taste:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z5qGa9co2Q

This is spectacularly good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tstjeLGRow...=PL&index=6

If you get the chance to see the great Glenn Tilbrook, you must go. He tours all the time (I saw him the other week in cardiff in a tiny venue) and is just brilliant live.

Edited by Backbiter

How do you define Eurotechno? I've always thought Eurotechno is bands like 2-Unlimited, Aqua, Ace of Bass, Scooter and all of that Eurovision style crap. Compared to them Daft Punk seems almost like Kraftwerk to me. :D

The worst thing I've heard in ages is "Donk", or whatever they call it. I remember seeing a programme about the music scene on VBS.tv

Oh wait, this one has to be one of the worst things I've EVER heard:

If you haven't already heard it, you might not want to press play on that video(it's THAT bad). YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

I made it as far as 1:18. Do I get a medal?!

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...