What are you listening to?

Norman The Gambler

Having an Aussie session listening to Sarah Blasko's new album As Day Follows Night, I seem to have a liking for the daughters of ministers (Diane Birch is also one).

I listened to Me'Shell Ndegéocello's latest yesterday and was blown away, I'm a big fan of Me'Shell but the album, unusually, got a slating in Mojo and I was expecting a real dip from her usual high standard, but no, obviously the reviewer had not taken enough drugs, which can only be classed as deserting one's post while under fire.

Thank you, Randy. On the one hand I'm not freaking out because it's a poem I have loved since I was a child. There were fields of barley my sister and I walked beside on our way to the beach every day in the summers of our youth, and my father invariably recited the poem as we walked. To us at first, it was a wonderful story, then as we got older we would raise our eyebrows at each other as if to say "Oh God, there he goes again!" But it left me with an affection for the poem. However.... the woman who read it here didn't half make a meal of it! Overacting, overstressing the rhymes, generally trying to pull out every emotional stop!

Here's a poem for you by Robert Frost

Thank you, Randy. On the one hand I'm not freaking out because it's a poem I have loved since I was a child. There were fields of barley my sister and I walked beside on our way to the beach every day in the summers of our youth, and my father invariably recited the poem as we walked. To us at first, it was a wonderful story, then as we got older we would raise our eyebrows at each other as if to say "Oh God, there he goes again!" But it left me with an affection for the poem. However.... the woman who read it here didn't half make a meal of it! Overacting, overstressing the rhymes, generally trying to pull out every emotional stop!

Here's a poem for you by Robert Frost

Glad you liked the poem but would disagree with you about the young lady's recitation. I thought she did an excellent job - clear and precise! As for the Frost poem "The Road not Taken", it happens to be one of my favourites. It has been open to widespread interpretations and the subject of many reviews. It's surprising the number of times it has been interpreted negatively and it's anything but negative.

For me it does not moralise about choice but simply maintains that choice is inevitable!

Stride mate, you do realise that The Dave Clark Five were touted as the "Tottenham Sound" when they were in their prime?

And I can never listen to "Glad All Over" without thinking of all those pathetic Crippled Alice fans singing along and banging the side hoardings at Selhurst Park.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear...

I'm gonna have to cleanse my ears and listen to something that'll cheer me up now... :Connie_threaten:

Stride mate, you do realise that The Dave Clark Five were touted as the "Tottenham Sound" when they were in their prime?

And I can never listen to "Glad All Over" without thinking of all those pathetic Crippled Alice fans singing along and banging the side hoardings at Selhurst Park.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear...

i'm shocked! i must have led a sheltered life because up until yesterday i'd been fortunate enough never to have even heard the phrase "tottenham sound".

i've actually got an interesting reason for listening to the DC5. not so long ago i managed to got hold of a few episodes of ready steady go. what can i say but "wow!" i've only watched a couple of episodes so far - the last one featured the stones, the beatles, marvin gaye and georgie fame all playing live. oh and the DC5 also got in there somewhere (but of a tenuous link but that's it). georgie fame, incidentally is my new musical hero. this kind of thing:

palace fans? who gives a toss about palace fans!

i'm shocked! i must have led a sheltered life because up until yesterday i'd been fortunate enough never to have even heard the phrase "tottenham sound".

I've got to admit, I quite like some of the DC5 stuff, they bring back some good memories of my childhood

palace fans? who gives a toss about palace fans!

Can't argue with that, though I must admit I've a personal grudge against Palarse fans since I got a kicking at West Croydon bus station when I was about 11 or 12.

I've got to admit, I quite like some of the DC5 stuff, they bring back some good memories of my childhood

compeltely forgot. not so long ago i watched "catch us if you can", which i thought was better than any of the beatles films from around the same era. how's that for an idea for a thread: "better than the beatles"?

Can't argue with that, though I must admit I've a personal grudge against Palarse fans since I got a kicking at West Croydon bus station when I was about 11 or 12.

ah. that explains a lot. living around west and north west london, i very rarely ran into palace fans apart from when we played the bar stewards.

ah. that explains a lot. living around west and north west london, i very rarely ran into palace fans apart from when we played the bar stewards.

Yeah, I was standing in West Croydon station at about 10:15pm waiting for a bus home to Mitcham after we'd just played at Selhurst Park, just 11 or 12 years old with a blue & white scarf round my neck. About 5 or 6 Palarse fans aged about 15/16 came over and tried to nick my scarf, then started giving me a kicking when I fought back, cowardly c*nts.

Rest assured though that I've had revenge many times over, most spectacularly after the Tooting & Mitcham/Palarse FA Cup game and during the Chelsea/Palarse FA Cup game, both in the early to mid 70's. Great memories!

Sorry, I don;t know what's wrong with my computer. I can't edit this! So you've got double helpings of the Jarrow Song!

Listening to Georgie Fame makes me think of Alan Price:

Edited by moi

This song has been coming up quite often on my iPod(it's pretty much always on shuffle):

The song is ok, but I loved that someone had edited bits from Steamboat Willy to make a video for it. Mickey Mouse certainly couldn't get away with some of those antics nowadays. PETA and ANIMALIA would probably be all over Disney.

Listening to Georgie Fame makes me think of Alan Price:

and why not indeed. here's a few more with the two of them together:

not the best of Georgie Fame but unforgettable all the same: