Drogba

BlueBeard

Been listening to 5Live this evening, and they keep reporting that Drogba has stated he won't have an operation for his hernia until after the World Cup. I'm not sure how long the recovery is from such an operation, but it seems very likely to me that Drogs will miss the start of next season.

Considering Chelsea pay his wages, surely he should have his operation at the end of this season? It seems once again that Drogs puts his national team way ahead of Chelsea in his priorities, which to me is bang out of order. What's the betting his injury gets worse during the World Cup and he'll be out for months afterwards?

If this would have been some friendly games I'm sure he would have had his surgery, but we're talking about the World Cup. How many of those does a player experience in their career?

So between missing the World Cup or maybe some of the first games of the season for my team I know which one I'd chose.

And if Drogba decides to have his surgery after the WC and he does miss the beginning of our next season then I'm still sure that Chelsea understands his decision, respects it and will back him.

The way I see it is the first World Cupo matches I think are early June, surely there would be time for an operation if he had it on the day after the Cup final which would allow him three or four weeks rest.

I don't know what the recovery rate is for a hernia operation with Keyhole surgery so I might be miles away here but I would imagine it to be around three or four weeks, if so it might have been best for Chelsea and the Ivory coast if he was booked in the day after the final.

If the recovery time is significantly longer then I suppose it is ultimately his decision and hopefully we have decent enough back up which might be added to by then to get the season off to a good start without him, It would certainly be nicer to start off with all our options fit and healthy though.

I can't begrudge Drogba for wanting to play in the World Cup.

As long as he doesn't miss more than a month of the new season, I'll live with it....if it's more than that, I would question his judgement

BB, I understand your point about Chelsea paying his salary and all, but honestly...if you were an African player(and one of the best on your continent) and you have a chance to play in the World Cup, would you say "no", because you might miss some matches during the following league season? I mean, honestly? World Cup is once every four years and to many players it's still almost a mythical tournament. Especially to players from smaller football countries who aren't used to qualifying to World Cup every time pretty much on default. I'd rather have Drogba available in every match, but if he misses some matches because he wants to represent his country on the biggest stage of all, then so be it. I think it would be very unfair to tell an African hero like Drogba that he can't play in the World Cup.

BB, I understand your point about Chelsea paying his salary and all, but honestly...if you were an African player(and one of the best on your continent) and you have a chance to play in the World Cup, would you say "no", because you might miss some matches during the following league season? I mean, honestly? World Cup is once every four years and to many players it's still almost a mythical tournament. Especially to players from smaller football countries who aren't used to qualifying to World Cup every time pretty much on default. I'd rather have Drogba available in every match, but if he misses some matches because he wants to represent his country on the biggest stage of all, then so be it. I think it would be very unfair to tell an African hero like Drogba that he can't play in the World Cup.

If I were to put myself in Drogba's position, for instance, if I were a Scottish international, and they were in the World Cup, my main priority would be to make sure I was fit for my club. Maybe it's different for a Chelsea fan like myself, I'd always put the Blues first. The way I see it, Drogba wants to be the big hero for Ivory Coast at the expense of his club, the club who pays his wages. If we were to buy a decent striker in the summer, it wouldn't be a problem, but I'm not holding my breath.

It takes about 2-4 weeks to be 80-90% healed from a hernia operation and 5-8 weeks to be 100%. I'd expect him to only take 4 due to good physical shape and the best medical care.

I think African players regard international duty a bit different to us. For African players it is the ultimate honour and would beat anything else while us Brits care a lot less about it I think.

I think African players regard international duty a bit different to us. For African players it is the ultimate honour and would beat anything else while us Brits care a lot less about it I think.

Exactly. I remember reading comments from African players who said that if they rejected a call up to to the national team, they couldn't go back to their homeland after that. That's how strongly they feel about representing their country. In England it's different when you can throw a hissy fit if everything doesn't go your way and declare that you won't be available to be picked anymore and your club's fans still consider you a hero(I'm looking at you Carragher).

I'm with you on this BB, club first, always, but I don't think he will aggravate the injury by delaying the operation. If that was the case he would have gone under the knife weeks ago. Of course we don't know the type of hernia injury he has, yet saying that aren't we changing our medical team for next season?

If I were to put myself in Drogba's position, for instance, if I were a Scottish international, and they were in the World Cup, my main priority would be to make sure I was fit for my club. Maybe it's different for a Chelsea fan like myself, I'd always put the Blues first. The way I see it, Drogba wants to be the big hero for Ivory Coast at the expense of his club, the club who pays his wages. If we were to buy a decent striker in the summer, it wouldn't be a problem, but I'm not holding my breath.

That is the big difference though. Didier is a Chelsea player whereas we are Chelsea fans.Only on the rarest occasion does a player feel the ame for a club as the fans do and even more rare when that player is from another country.

It's his last last shot at the world cup more than likely..if he is injured at the start of the season so be it, we have cover and we should be reinforcing if the rumours are to believed.

Exactly. I remember reading comments from African players who said that if they rejected a call up to to the national team, they couldn't go back to their homeland after that. That's how strongly they feel about representing their country. In England it's different when you can throw a hissy fit if everything doesn't go your way and declare that you won't be available to be picked anymore and your club's fans still consider you a hero(I'm looking at you Carragher).

:D I'm not sure Capello or any normal person would have considered C*rragh*r to the national team anyway. That really sums up how sad that man is. Calling in to a live radio-show and crying about not being picked. Sad, sad man. That is the honour of L*v*rp**l player.

I'm not sure if Drogba is putting his national team ahead of Chelsea but I agree that WC is such a huge competition and on top of that it is played in Africa. Drogba has no chance but to play there and not let his country down. They live in such big poverty and on top of that Ivory Coast has lot of internal problems maybe their country will live in some sort of peace during the world cup..

If he loses a couple of games start of next season I'm okay with that.

well drogs want to play the world cup, every player in the whole world wants to play this, but its sad for chelsea... Hopefully we'll get new strikes during the summer, aguero or higuain:D Would be amazing with any of them on the team next year!

As much as I hate international football and would love it if we told FIFA to go do one, I don't begrudge Drogba.

Still pissed at the Ghana manager for pushing Essien and at the previous Ivory Coast manager for saying we gave them a tired Drogba. All I can say is f**k you, we pay his wages, you don't.

Money isn't everything and the players aren't slaves.

Your right, slaves never got paid 150k a week to play a game. We do however pay these players an outrageous sum of money and expect them to show good faith in return.

Money isnt everything, but I'd love to see you tell that to the bloke demanding 120k-150k a week, instead of the supporters who are paying the bill.

I think FIFA/The local FA should have to pay a players wages whilst injured due to an international match/training incident......or is this already in place?

Wouldnt seem fair a club HAS to let a player go play for their country then HAVE to keep paying them while they are injured due to an injury picked up on national duty.

We pay these guys outrageous sums of money becuase that's what the market price is not because we want to. As soon as we have no use for them we spit them out like chips and its on with the next one.

The guys get paid a pittance playing for their county and in return, in some cases, they live on in the country's culture.

Harry Kewell played for Australia in the last world cup against Croatia and played himelf into the ground, emerging on crutches the next day and not getting off them for weeks. His club was likely a loser but so was he personally.

I'll never forget his loyalty to the cause when it really counted.

Each of us makes an individual decision about how much we owe our employer but I'm sure there is a point where for each of us the employer could pay more but wouldn't be buying any extra loyalty and that there are some things money can't buy. If DD wants to give his best for the country that's what he will do. He's much more likely to give extra to the club if the club understands that and supports him.

Another point to remember is that once Drogba's football days are over, he may well want to return to his native land rather than stay in a foreign land. That being so, to have shown loyalty to his country's team is of major importance.

Archived