Following our ex`s...

dkw
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

3 hours ago, Backbiter said:

The move has been a disaster for him. I know Southgate immediately rewarded him witrh a full England call-up, but it's been all downhill from there. He was an excellent squad player for us who looked really good coming on as a sub, but he has looked a shadow of that player in the years since.

It looks like his, Lewis Baker's and - speaking pessimistically - RLC's careers will fizzle out after showing massive potential.

I really hope I'm wrong.

It goes to show what a mixed bag our youngsters become.

On the positive side we have had Terry, Morris, Mount, James and if we look at Bamford, 5 years at CFC without a start and now 5th in the top scorers for the league. 

By comparison Werner is 14th.

2 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

It goes to show what a mixed bag our youngsters become.

On the positive side we have had Terry, Morris, Mount, James and if we look at Bamford, 5 years at CFC without a start and now 5th in the top scorers for the league. 

By comparison Werner is 14th.

Not sure Jody Morris counts as a success story (as a player at least). What about Premier League champion Robert Huth?

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/12/2020 at 05:58, Strider6003 said:

Agree Morris was not a good example and forgot about Huth, he is worthy of inclusion.

Morris was plagued by off-field issues and injuries, but was good enough to become a great player.

Another academy product worth mentioning that had a good career was Graeme Le Saux.

On 23/12/2020 at 10:39, Jezz said:

Morris was plagued by off-field issues and injuries, but was good enough to become a great player.

Another academy product worth mentioning that had a good career was Graeme Le Saux.

And Eddie Newton and Doobs. Plus Cundy and Myers.

Edited by Backbiter

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, PloKoon13 said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/brendan-rodgers-confident-midfield-signing-4950129

Interesting - Leicester apparently in for Chalobah as cover for Ndidi. 

Just saw this. Not that I'd want to see any of our rivals for top 4 strengthen, but it's good to see that he may yet revive a career that's gone off the rails a bit since he played a part in our title win under Conte. It's not been a Drinkwater-esque decline, but it's been awful for him the way his move to Watford has turned out. It brought him an England call-up within weeks, but nothing has gone right for him since.

8 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

Just saw this. Not that I'd want to see any of our rivals for top 4 strengthen, but it's good to see that he may yet revive a career that's gone off the rails a bit since he played a part in our title win under Conte. It's not been a Drinkwater-esque decline, but it's been awful for him the way his move to Watford has turned out. It brought him an England call-up within weeks, but nothing has gone right for him since.

Talking about ex-players I noticed Bamford scored a peach for Leeds second goal last night.

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, PloKoon13 said:

Great interview with Filipe Luís (ignore the slightly misleading headline, he talks about a lot): 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/feb/22/filipe-luis-in-training-at-chelsea-salah-was-like-messi-ask-anyone

I liked it too.

Very good on Hazard, I didn't realise he was like that in training though with hindsight perhaps not surprised.

Good on Mourinho, liked his comment on JT.

Seems honest about his time losing out to a better player in Azpi.

You sense his hunger for the CL, I think we will get past Atletico though will be close, so suspect he will need to wait another year at least. :smile:

20 hours ago, PloKoon13 said:

Great interview with Filipe Luís (ignore the slightly misleading headline, he talks about a lot): 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/feb/22/filipe-luis-in-training-at-chelsea-salah-was-like-messi-ask-anyone

He sounds like a class act.

He was very handy in the 14/15 season, and he seems to have good things to say about us despite his short tenure with the club.