Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ace

United States National Team Thread

I know that we have a couple of Yanks on the board, I figured I could start this thread as a place for those that follow and root for the national team to share our thoughts on results, young players, and what blackmail Bornstein has on Bob Bradley that keeps getting him a spot in the lineup. I'll do my best to keep this thread bumped during periods of international activity so that there is no need to start a thread for every friendly or Gold Cup match.

Anyways, exciting times! We tied Argentina, wooooooo!! I love how our "greatest" results tend to be draws with big teams. If Tim Howard didn't have the Premier League experience that he does, that scoreline could have been pretty ugly.

Didn't get to catch the Paraguay game, heard that the youngsters looked good. Excited to see more of Aguedelo and hope that his arrival will scare Altidore into actually trying to work on bettering his game.

Besides the Spain game, not much on the horizon until the Gold Cup. The only other thing to watch out for is Andy Najar choosing which national team to play for. I've read an article, posted below, about how Honduras is going pretty crazy to get him to represent them, and that it could backfire and give him more reason to play for the USA.

http://luisalvaro.sportsknights.com/2011/02/22/andy-najar-honduras-and-his-media-driven-national-team-tug-of-war/

Anyways, hope a thread this like is ok, don't tread on me.

To be fair, Bornstein really stepped it up during the WC when Onyewu was putting in bad shifts defensively. He's just reaaally inconsistent. And when he's bad, he's downright awful.

The Paraguay game was irritating to watch. Sure, some decisions didn't go our way, but Paraguay was really good defensively, especially their goalkeeper who made a couple of wonder saves. Very annoying to play against.

And it's official. Najar chose to play for Honduras...

edit: At least it wasn't our fault this time, like with Rossi and especially Subotic...

To be fair, Bornstein really stepped it up during the WC when Onyewu was putting in bad shifts defensively. He's just reaaally inconsistent. And when he's bad, he's downright awful.

The Paraguay game was irritating to watch. Sure, some decisions didn't go our way, but Paraguay was really good defensively, especially their goalkeeper who made a couple of wonder saves. Very annoying to play against.

And it's official. Najar chose to play for Honduras...

edit: At least it wasn't our fault this time, like with Rossi and especially Subotic...

Agreed with Najar, especially since he doesn't qualify for citizenship for a couple more years (something I did not realize). I don't really blame us for Rossi, he moved to Italy when he was pretty young with the hopes of playing for them, but yeah, Subotic was a big f**k up on our end!

Gold Cup roster is out, pretty surprising to see Freddy Adu named to it! For his sake, I hope he gets a chance to impress and delivers on it.

I resent being called a Yank, Ace, because I am from the South, and we hate Yanks!

Anyway, I am happy that Freddy Adu has been given another chance on the national team, and I hope he makes the most of it. Who knows, maybe he will come back to DC United.

If Adu came back to MLS would that be a move up from the Turkish 2nd Division or a move down? Up I suppose, anyway I'd loved to see Freddie back with DC.

Oh and I'm with Phillip, 100% Georgia Rebel here. :D

confederate_flag.gif

Johnny Reb

Haha sorry boys, I'm from Nebraska, middle of the country. I can cut the "yank" stuff out.

Anyways, one of my friends is hoping that this whole Chandler not taking part in the tourney isn't a big deal. Rumor is that he may still decide to play for Germany, since he's only played for us in friendlies. Wish Diskerud and/or Bedoya were picked too, want to see more of those two, especially Diskerud since he's not capped yet.

The main concern I have is that we really need to start planning for the future. I wish there was more youth in this roster, but I also get that the Confederations Cup is one of our goals now, so we can win this and prepare for the future later. Will be interesting to see if Dempsey and Donovan are still playing for us in 2014.

Haha sorry boys, I'm from Nebraska, middle of the country. I can cut the "yank" stuff out.

Anyways, one of my friends is hoping that this whole Chandler not taking part in the tourney isn't a big deal. Rumor is that he may still decide to play for Germany, since he's only played for us in friendlies. Wish Diskerud and/or Bedoya were picked too, want to see more of those two, especially Diskerud since he's not capped yet.

The main concern I have is that we really need to start planning for the future. I wish there was more youth in this roster, but I also get that the Confederations Cup is one of our goals now, so we can win this and prepare for the future later. Will be interesting to see if Dempsey and Donovan are still playing for us in 2014.

I hope the Chandler situation is nothing. He has been quality for us.

I thought Diskerrud got capped against South Africa?

edit: Wikipedia says he's been capped twice.

I hope the Chandler situation is nothing. He has been quality for us.

I thought Diskerrud got capped against South Africa?

edit: Wikipedia says he's been capped twice.

Yeah, but Chandler, Diskerud and maybe Bedoya have only been capped in friendlies I think, meaning they can still switch their nationalities (like Jermaine Jones did from Germany to US). The Gold Cup is a full international match that permanently ties you to the squad. Oh well.

....and Torres has just scored - 4-0 to Spain.

"Torres is back, Torres is back................!"

Well that was embarrassing. At least they stepped it up in the second half. And as another consolation, Torres scored. Despite that, I still thought he was poor today.

Bring on Canada and the Gold Cup.

It was a stupid lineup the US played. I don't think Bradley wanted to play this match right on the eve of the Gold Cup. To start, Spector isn't a full back. If BB watched a West Ham game he'd know that. And the midfield that he played in the first half would never have a chance against the likes of Xabi Alonso and Silva.

Just watched the friendly between US and Mexico, women's, and could not believe that the U.S. could not score a goal. Also, I had totally forgotten that the Women's World Cup is only a few weeks away, and I don't see any threads about it.

Do people care about the Women's World Cup?

By the way, the 16 year old Mexico keeper is really something special, with cat-like reflexes.

It was a stupid lineup the US played. I don't think Bradley wanted to play this match right on the eve of the Gold Cup. To start, Spector isn't a full back. If BB watched a West Ham game he'd know that. And the midfield that he played in the first half would never have a chance against the likes of Xabi Alonso and Silva.

He certainly fielded a non-optimal team. No doubt about it.

Just watched the friendly between US and Mexico, women's, and could not believe that the U.S. could not score a goal. Also, I had totally forgotten that the Women's World Cup is only a few weeks away, and I don't see any threads about it.

Do people care about the Women's World Cup?

By the way, the 16 year old Mexico keeper is really something special, with cat-like reflexes.

I'm sure some care about the Women's World Cup. I'll be watching the Germans every chance I can. :)

It should be a good one Ace.

There's lots of talk about the Canadians wanting revenge after what happened in 2007. Regardless of whether or not that's true, I'm expecting a good match tonight.

Ugh, Fox Soccer has the rights to this game (hopefully not all of them...). I was really hoping I didn't have to go out to a bar to watch this.

I have Directv with the sports package so I get FSC.

I've got a cold Sam Adams Light waiting for the match to start.

Anybody know what happened to Adu? I thought he was named to this squad. It doesn't look like he is on the bench.

He's in the 23 man squad, but definitely not going to get named to the bench until probably the Guadelope match next Tuesday.

Wow, either Panama is really good, or the U.S. team is really bad, or both.

Strange game, with Panama totally deserving the win. The U.S. has some big problems at the back, and I don't know this guy Ream, but he looks very poor to me.