Money

Random Rumours

The whispers about manager uphappiness are very similar to the ones that swirled around Mourinho in 2015.

Tough thing is in the positions we really need signings there aren't many good players available for decent prices. Wingback and DM are the two biggest concerns, although Pasalic is still on the books for the midfield roles.

My view is this may need to be a two year build process to really get us up to CL contenders. We look at a Toljan or Pereira who can play RWB and LWB, get in Sanches and Llorente on shortish deals and then see who comes through over the next 12 months (particular focus on DaSilva, RLC and Tammy here). Mendy and Bakayoko were rubbish 12 months ago and big money transfers this summer so a lot can change in a season.

Hard to see us dramatically improving the first team now.

I wonder where the "relax it's only june" brigade has gone by now. I saw that in almost every transfer thread a couple of months ago, written by people who couldn't foresee what was actually going to happen.

If we had actually spent some proper money back in may and june and secured deals then while clubs are prepared to negotiate before their pre-season and build-up to the new season starts we would very likely have secured a few more of Contes targets by now. Give Southampton the Oscar money + £10 million back in early may for Van Dijk and they would probably have accepted and Conte would have been happy instead of having go settle for his fourth choice.
Same goes for the other players we have been chasing too, give Juventus what they wanted for Sandro before they sold Bonucci and Alves? Sandro would be a Chelsea-player by now.

13 minutes ago, Sindre said:

I wonder where the "relax it's only june" brigade has gone by now. I saw that in almost every transfer thread a couple of months ago, written by people who couldn't foresee what was actually going to happen.

If we had actually spent some proper money back in may and june and secured deals then while clubs are prepared to negotiate before their pre-season and build-up to the new season starts we would very likely have secured a few more of Contes targets by now. Give Southampton the Oscar money + £10 million back in early may for Van Dijk and they would probably have accepted and Conte would have been happy instead of having go settle for his fourth choice.
Same goes for the other players we have been chasing too, give Juventus what they wanted for Sandro before they sold Bonucci and Alves? Sandro would be a Chelsea-player by now.

The brigade has changed its tune to "relax its only August".  

1 minute ago, Stim said:

Just because its the end of July doesn't mean it was right to throw tantrums before the window even opened.

I am sure most of us could see what was coming. City struck deals for two of their main targets in may(Bernardo Silva and Ederson) so "the window wasn't even open" excuse is invalid. You can sort 99% out beforehand.

4 hours ago, enigma said:

That might suggest we will now need to pay more for the new additions, just when we were thinking £40m for Matic is probably good business.

After reading that it does make you wonder about the communication between Conte and the Mgt team at CFC, or have they all been on holiday picked up everything later and now have a greater sense of urgency.  

Luckily our "panic buys" (considering for ages we were desperate for a LB but especially another CB) in Luiz and Alonso last summer ended up being really good signings. However it's nerving to go into August - weeks away from the season starting - and still needing 3-4 players to be real contenders in all competitions this year. As @Sindre said, there is no reason that we can't get our business done earlier - every other team has. What is the most probable situation now is that we'll end up with players that Conte doesn't really even want. The two most heavily linked players recently are Alex Sandro and Renato Sanches and the rumours for each have been rubbished by their club managers today so the situation is becoming even more dim by the day.

Edited by KentPaul

5 hours ago, startedwithglenn said:

If it's true that both Lucas and di Maria look like leaving PSG we should really be in for one of them to upgrade our RW position.

Not sure. Di Maria was never settled at United so I'm not sure if he will be here. Is Lucas even that good?

Dont get me wrong I'd take them purely for squad depth. Would prefer to see us sign a midfielder and 2 wingbacks instead!

How about Danny Drinkwater!?!

"Chelsea are interested in signing Leicester City midfielder Danny Drinkwater, according to Sky sources."

Edited by DarkMata

Danny Drinkwater? Seriously? 

The only reason I can see us going after him is because he's English...But he's pretty crap in all honestly and should be nowhere near a team like Chelsea

If we wanted to boost our English numbers we should be looking at the likes of Bertrand, Shaw, Ox, Barkley 

51 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

Not sure. Di Maria was never settled at United so I'm not sure if he will be here. Is Lucas even that good?

Dont get me wrong I'd take them purely for squad depth. Would prefer to see us sign a midfielder and 2 wingbacks instead!

Di Maria had van Gaal crippling him at United, was never going to settle. London would be much easier for him too. He is world class and if he's available should be snapped up without thinking.

Lucas is more of a gamble but we're going to need a new RW next summer at the latest so again, if available I would take a shot on him.

16 minutes ago, Zeta said:

I hope not, that's a massive downgrade. 

Not hugely inspiring but it's hard to be a downgrade on an empty space.

Even if he's replacing Chalobah, I wouldn't say that's a downgrade at the moment.

He did to be fair have a phenomenal partnership in a 2 man midfield with Kante.

8 hours ago, lchk said:

The brigade has changed its tune to "relax its only August".  

How about relax we have a deeper squad than last season and will likely still improve it brigade.
I know it doesn't quite have the same ring