Random Rumours

Danny Drinkwater :face_palm: 

No surprise that as soon as Kante left Leicester their midfield went to sh*t. Gets a lot of credit for running around and passing sideways a lot. Can not be signing players with the mentality that "it's ok because they're our 4th choice" because playing over 50 games a year rotation is key, plus injuries are always likely. Our substitute players have to be good enough to win a league and be of Champions League quality if they are playing for Chelsea.

Edited by KentPaul
12 minutes ago, dkw said:

A team thats won 2 out of the last 3 is no not a title rival? bullsh*t.

33 minutes ago, RMCM said:

f**k it must have been a dream, but I could have sworn we won the league last year

Note that I said "At this stage".  You guys think we're legit title contenders with our current squad and depth?

1 minute ago, Michael said:

Well at this stage Hazard and Bakayoko are injured, so I love your optimism.

Right. So two players missing a couple of weeks means we aren't title contenders for the season? We either are or aren't contenders going into the season, there's no 'at this stage'

2 minutes ago, Michael said:

Well at this stage Hazard and Bakayoko are injured, so I love your optimism.

Is he actually injured or is he just being carefully managed? I've seen some reports that he could be ready for Sunday so he'll probably be fit enough come the start of the season, although with no preseason.

1 minute ago, RMCM said:

Right. So two players missing a couple of weeks means we aren't title contenders for the season? We either are or aren't contenders going into the season, there's no 'at this stage'

Of course there's an "at this stage" because this is literally where we are at.  If we make a few more signings before the start of the season then for sure we are title contenders, but right now we are not as other teams have strengthened their squads and we have just been treading water by bringing in replacements for outgoing players.

2 minutes ago, KentPaul said:

Is he actually injured or is he just being carefully managed? I've seen some reports that he could be ready for Sunday so he'll probably be fit enough come the start of the season, although with no preseason.

Either way he's not 100% fit. 

38 minutes ago, Michael said:

Note that I said "At this stage".  You guys think we're legit title contenders with our current squad and depth?

Ofc we are. To say otherwise is being too negative. What we lacked are playing personnel in case things went south due to being involved in several competitions.

3 hours ago, didierforever said:

Begovic - Cabellero (downgrade but not really an issue)
Terry - Christensen (upgrade as a player, massive downgrade as a character for the squad)
Zouma - Rudiger (upgrade)
Ake - JCS (downgrade but 6 top class CBs is too many)
Aina - Tomori (no real difference, Hence the issue. We have CL where we cant play Aina like in a league cup or first few rounds of FA cup)
Matic - Bakayoko (downgrade, potential upgrade)
Chalobah - Pasalic (upgrade, Pasalic is apparently out on loan)
RLC - Baker/Boga (upgrade)
Costa - Morata (downgrade, potential upgrade)
Solanke - Remy (Upgrade, Not sure if he is going to be in the squad by  the end of the season)

Add to it

Kenedy - Kenedy (Another position where we have needed an upgrade/back up since the end of the last season but our board has not done anything).

I dont think the point of the majority on here is "Our squad depth is lesser/better than last season". Its more like "Our squad depth is poor for a Club playing in 4 major competitions with the expectations of winning all of them". We lack any depth for RWB, LWB, CM (Cesc is barely able to play as a CM) and ST. For CM, we can play Luiz there, for RWB we have Azpi and Rudi but in most cases its square pegs in round holes. 

My comments haven't really been aimed at those with reasonable views and I agree we should be looking to upgrade at least 2 positions before the end of the window and could easily be 4. But there have been some extremely OTT reactions.

9 minutes ago, Deino said:

Ofc we are. To say otherwise is being too negative. What we lacked are playing personnel in case things went south due to being involved in several competitions.

I might be a bit too negative, but we've been here before and not that long ago.  I'm sure we were all confident of being title contenders the year after we won with Jose and look at how that turned out.

2 hours ago, Michael said:

I might be a bit too negative, but we've been here before and not that long ago.  I'm sure we were all confident of being title contenders the year after we won with Jose and look at how that turned out.

Lack of transfer activity from the board was a problem but Jose took it to another level. 

Stagnation is one thing but his implosion on and off the field were not the board's fault at all.

It started with a stupid post-match press conference where Jose couldn't rein his mouth in and escalated all from there embroiling the club in needless issues and entering conversations that shouldn't even be had in the first place

The current squad may not be guaranteed champions but it is still a title-contending team. What Conte does afterwards with what he has determines the fate of this team. It's all well and good having concerns but to immediately count us out before a ball is kicked is a disservice to the efforts of the people at the club

It's a bit of a conundrum really..

Media blasting us for a poor window and having so few first team players but also chastising us for not using our youth. 

We've painted ourselves into a corner over the homegrown/non homegrown ratio. I hope this is resolved soon

13 minutes ago, AndyBlue82 said:

It's a bit of a conundrum really..

Media blasting us for a poor window and having so few first team players but also chastising us for not using our youth. 

We've painted ourselves into a corner over the homegrown/non homegrown ratio. I hope this is resolved soon

I wouldn't really listen to the media all that much. They don't know which narrative to go with even at the best of times.

IE, when it's Chelsea buying players: They're buying the PL at 30m when they bought Kante

When it's City: City just bought an exciting talent in Bernardo Silva for 40m+

When it's Utd: Utd just confirmed the purchase of 90m Pogba who's set to become the best midfielder in seasons to come under Jose Mourinho. The sky's the limit for this Utd team!

The framing of the media is subtle and yet contributes to the narrative of Chelsea will always buy the league circa 2005

20 hours ago, doctorblue said:

What about Ward Prowse from Southampton...English U21 with a top class range of free kicks and crosses 

NO, Drinkwater would be far better!

Seriously though I don't think I would be excited if he'd signed for Saints let alone a club looking to win the Champions League!

1 hour ago, Deino said:

I wouldn't really listen to the media all that much. They don't know which narrative to go with even at the best of times.

IE, when it's Chelsea buying players: They're buying the PL at 30m when they bought Kante

When it's City: City just bought an exciting talent in Bernardo Silva for 40m+

When it's Utd: Utd just confirmed the purchase of 90m Pogba who's set to become the best midfielder in seasons to come under Jose Mourinho. The sky's the limit for this Utd team!

The framing of the media is subtle and yet contributes to the narrative of Chelsea will always buy the league circa 2005

They've always got their narrative to spin. I don't even pay attention to their so called news these days. Just wait to see things happen/unfold. Sportswriters and sports journalists are the laziest ever. They don't investigate anything or report intelligently. Just publish whatsoever drivel seems to be the flavour of the moment or the one that seems likely to give them the "clicks". 

Take for instance the nonsense they kept spinning about Chelsea in "the Mourinho season" to borrow a phrase from Conte, after Mourinho brought on Matic as a sub and took him off again in the same game it was all about the disrespect to Matic, how Matic hated Mourinho and was prepared to leave the club if Mourinho remained as manager.........Now they gleefully report on how Mourinho and Matic have been reunited after Matic pushed for a move to be re-united with Mourinho. 

You couldn't make it up.

2 hours ago, Chelsbear said:

The majority all link him with United and PSG, we are hardly linked at all

Don't we have a good relationship with Anderlecht? We have given them a few loans and bought players off them, I think musonda came from them? If he is that good we are more in need than Man U considering we just sold them matic, we should be inquiring and reminding them of pay business and reminding Man U who we just sold them and to kindly f**k off. The fact we sold matic tells me we must be close so signing someone.