Random Rumours

This annoys the hell out of me, he's been a huge player for us & still got something to give. So surely he deserve some respect?

You would think so wouldnt you. These players who have given us almost certainly the best period in the clubs history and yet the lack of respect shown to them by some fans is beyond disgraceful, you just have to see the sh*t the likes of Anelka, JT, Lampard, Drogba, Ferreira etc get on here. By all means question their usefulness to the team now, but the disparaging way some do it makes me embarrassed to be a fan of this club at times. I wonder how long these "fans" have been involved with our club at times.

This annoys the hell out of me, he's been a huge player for us & still got something to give. So surely he deserve some respect?

See I have never understood this line of thinking. He was paid a good salary and he delivered. But he has done next to nothing recently. He is getting up there in age and its time to get younger, faster, and more creative. Drogba did well but its time for him to be moved. He is going to leave for nothing in summer, so it makes sense to sell him at get some value in January.

I don't see this as an issue of respect, I see it as what is doing what's best for the team. I don't cheer for Drogba, I cheer for Chelsea FC.

See I have never understood this line of thinking. He was paid a good salary and he delivered. But he has done next to nothing recently. He is getting up there in age and its time to get younger, faster, and more creative. Drogba did well but its time for him to be moved. He is going to leave for nothing in summer, so it makes sense to sell him at get some value in January.

I don't see this as an issue of respect, I see it as what is doing what's best for the team. I don't cheer for Drogba, I cheer for Chelsea FC.

So who is going to replace him that fits the bill? Hoping we qualify for the next stage of the champs league you have to consider a lot of the best players would be cup tied if we bought them.

If Torres could perform for more than a few games in a row he could be that man, but he has clearly lost a yard of pace that made him frightening to the opposition and his form is so indifferent.

So who is going to replace him that fits the bill? Hoping we qualify for the next stage of the champs league you have to consider a lot of the best players would be cup tied if we bought them.

If Torres could perform for more than a few games in a row he could be that man, but he has clearly lost a yard of pace that made him frightening to the opposition and his form is so indifferent.

Let's look at DD's stats. In 10 PL games he has 21 shots, 2 goals, and 1 assist. It's not that great. But its more than that. He looks out of sorts, he does not seem interested, and he is not the same DD.

This team is not going to be a player in CL this year as constructed. AVB cannot run his system becuase the players he has cannot run it. Torres has looked sporadic partially becuase the MF cannot get him the ball fast enough. The MF at Chelsea play the older long ball style rather than the fast quick pace that AVB wants. DD cannot play quickly. He is an older larger, physical presence who thrived on getting the longball and shooting it in. That does not work in AVB's system. I would like the team to advance in CL, but even if they do, I don't see them doing much in it now. I would absolutely get players who are CL tied this year and give AVB time to let his guys gel over the remaining PL schedule.

Here is the situation: DD will not resign with Chelsea in the summer. If Chelsea does not sell him in January he will leave for free in summer. I would rather sell him and get some cash rather than get zilch for him in summer. I would go on a selling spree and sell the players that won't help long term like Anelka, Alex, DD, and Malouda. With that plus extra cash, I would sign a solid Defensive CB, a better WB(to replace Boswinga), a winger and more attacking MFs. With a better CB and WB, AVB can run the high line D. With more attacking MF, AVB can put Torres in there and see if improved service helps him. If not, then put Sturridge in the middle and let Mata and the new Winger flank him.

DD is on his way out anyway, may as well begin the rebuilding process now rather than later.

you assume that we can buy the calibre of players we want to replace drogba and all in january...so few settle in straight away either...torres still hasn't and it's been 10 months now...we have already committed to getting rid of alex and anelka, we shouldn't change too much mid-season...besides drogba is still our best frontman...he has injuries etc so far and is just getting back to fitness...as for getting cash, he won't raise that much with clubs knowing he has six months left on his contract anyway...why pay loads when you can get him for free in the summer?

Agreed,

it makes no sense at this point with the impending departure of Nico for us to offload Drogba. he hasn't looked as sharp this year, like many others, but yesterday he popped up and scored the goal that opened the game up completely. Say what you want about him, but he's still a valuable player to have.

What are we going to do in Jan if we do sell him? Bring in Lalkovic from the youngsters and hope he does well? If we did get rid of him we'd have Sturridge, and Torres, and Kalou and that would be it?!

seems like a bit of guesswork in the mail...lob in some familiar names to go like ferreira and kalou and link us with some ones we have looked at in the past in villa and hazard, forgetting fact both are cup-tied in champions league and very unlikely to be sold by their clubs mid-season anyway...now that alex and anelka have been confirmed (they have been linked with an exit since avb came in and barely played, i can't see us getting rid of too many others in January...would be just too much turmoil in a season where we're fighting for our lives just to get in top four

you assume that we can buy the calibre of players we want to replace drogba and all in january...so few settle in straight away either...torres still hasn't and it's been 10 months now...we have already committed to getting rid of alex and anelka, we shouldn't change too much mid-season...besides drogba is still our best frontman...he has injuries etc so far and is just getting back to fitness...as for getting cash, he won't raise that much with clubs knowing he has six months left on his contract anyway...why pay loads when you can get him for free in the summer?

Agreed,

it makes no sense at this point with the impending departure of Nico for us to offload Drogba. he hasn't looked as sharp this year, like many others, but yesterday he popped up and scored the goal that opened the game up completely. Say what you want about him, but he's still a valuable player to have.

What are we going to do in Jan if we do sell him? Bring in Lalkovic from the youngsters and hope he does well? If we did get rid of him we'd have Sturridge, and Torres, and Kalou and that would be it?!

Maybe you are missing my point, but I am not thinking about this year, I am thinking about the future. The team as constructed cannot win CL or PL. I care about longterm success. This season is pretty much done. So I think its time to begin the youth movement and bring in younger players who play the AVB style of play. If you commit that much money to a young coach like AVB you must let him bring in his players.

DD hasn't been our best, Sturridge has. But, no I would give Lukaku a shot. He needs PL games and now is the time to get him out there. The season is gone. Let's give Lukaku the starts and see if he can grow with starting PL time the way Sturridge did last year. Now is the time to get the kids some regular work and bring in more young hot shots to create chemistry and give AVB time to see where his best lineup is. I say let AVB buy who he needs and then give him the rest of the season to work out lineups. By the beginging of next year, Chelsea will be in a MUCH better position to challenge for trophys. They will have had time to gel, develop chemistry, and will be players who can play the attacking AVB style.

DD's agent has pretty much said DD turned down the Chelsea extension becuase it was only for a year and DD wants one last big contract. PSG has big bucks and could offer DD that contract he wants. The team won't win PL or CL with DD. They will be battling for 3-5 all year. I would rather finish a little lower and give Lukaku and Sturridge more time than finish slightly higher with DD and not develop Lukaku,

I bet a reasonable offer could be made for him. Besides isn't a little money better than 0.

I just don't see DD as valuable to the team anymore. He

This would also make the club more viable finance wise. Didier has enormous wages, as does Lampard, it would be in the best interest of the club to actually start either changing the contracts of these players or selling them just to make more leverage in the acquisition of new players, and to comply to the UEFA rules. I think the club should aim to lower all the player wages under 100k, hence allowing better spending.

Maybe you are missing my point, but I am not thinking about this year, I am thinking about the future. The team as constructed cannot win CL or PL. I care about longterm success. This season is pretty much done. So I think its time to begin the youth movement and bring in younger players who play the AVB style of play. If you commit that much money to a young coach like AVB you must let him bring in his players.

DD hasn't been our best, Sturridge has. But, no I would give Lukaku a shot. He needs PL games and now is the time to get him out there. The season is gone. Let's give Lukaku the starts and see if he can grow with starting PL time the way Sturridge did last year. Now is the time to get the kids some regular work and bring in more young hot shots to create chemistry and give AVB time to see where his best lineup is. I say let AVB buy who he needs and then give him the rest of the season to work out lineups. By the beginging of next year, Chelsea will be in a MUCH better position to challenge for trophys. They will have had time to gel, develop chemistry, and will be players who can play the attacking AVB style.

DD's agent has pretty much said DD turned down the Chelsea extension becuase it was only for a year and DD wants one last big contract. PSG has big bucks and could offer DD that contract he wants. The team won't win PL or CL with DD. They will be battling for 3-5 all year. I would rather finish a little lower and give Lukaku and Sturridge more time than finish slightly higher with DD and not develop Lukaku,

I bet a reasonable offer could be made for him. Besides isn't a little money better than 0.

I just don't see DD as valuable to the team anymore. He

maybe you're missing the point that neither the club or avb can afford not to qualify for the champions league next season and too much change mid-season could threaten that...lukaku is very raw, torres is still off form and sturridge is doing great on the right not down the middle...no-one disputes changes to the squad need to be made, it's how many and when

maybe you're missing the point that neither the club or avb can afford not to qualify for the champions league next season and too much change mid-season could threaten that...lukaku is very raw, torres is still off form and sturridge is doing great on the right not down the middle...no-one disputes changes to the squad need to be made, it's how many and when

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I am willing to sacrifice one year of CL next year if AVB can get his types of players in and get them used to playing on the team. Thus sacrifice one year for multiple year success down the line. Again, we will have to agree to disagree on this matter.

Let's look at DD's stats. In 10 PL games he has 21 shots, 2 goals, and 1 assist. It's not that great. But its more than that. He looks out of sorts, he does not seem interested, and he is not the same DD.

This team is not going to be a player in CL this year as constructed. AVB cannot run his system becuase the players he has cannot run it. Torres has looked sporadic partially becuase the MF cannot get him the ball fast enough. The MF at Chelsea play the older long ball style rather than the fast quick pace that AVB wants. DD cannot play quickly. He is an older larger, physical presence who thrived on getting the longball and shooting it in. That does not work in AVB's system. I would like the team to advance in CL, but even if they do, I don't see them doing much in it now. I would absolutely get players who are CL tied this year and give AVB time to let his guys gel over the remaining PL schedule.

Here is the situation: DD will not resign with Chelsea in the summer. If Chelsea does not sell him in January he will leave for free in summer. I would rather sell him and get some cash rather than get zilch for him in summer. I would go on a selling spree and sell the players that won't help long term like Anelka, Alex, DD, and Malouda. With that plus extra cash, I would sign a solid Defensive CB, a better WB(to replace Boswinga), a winger and more attacking MFs. With a better CB and WB, AVB can run the high line D. With more attacking MF, AVB can put Torres in there and see if improved service helps him. If not, then put Sturridge in the middle and let Mata and the new Winger flank him.

DD is on his way out anyway, may as well begin the rebuilding process now rather than later.

I agree with a lot of what you say, especially the width part. Personally I would like to see maybe two wide players & Sturridge brought into the centre. I think Mata is most effective when playing the advanced midfielder.

We don't need a 30-40m pound player, I'd be more than happy if we took a chance of one of these up and coming Argentinians or Brazilians, etc...with pace and a bit of trickery who would cost us much less. Paying huge money for someone rarely works out for us, it generally just puts too muchb pressure on them to be an instant success.

I know it is an old Rumour, but I brought him back up in another thread so thought I'd add him in here too; however, a while ago we were strongly linked with CSKA's Alan Dzagoev. Seemingly Roman had ties at CSKA that would assure him coming here, and Alan himself mentioned that he would like to play for Chelsea some day. Plus he's still only 21.

We don't need a 30-40m pound player, I'd be more than happy if we took a chance of one of these up and coming Argentinians or Brazilians, etc...with pace and a bit of trickery who would cost us much less. Paying huge money for someone rarely works out for us, it generally just puts too muchb pressure on them to be an instant success.

Agree. I would also like the idea of going after more Barca B prospects and players on the main Barca squad that can't catch a break.