Vintage Blues pictures and film

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

44 minutes ago, Osgood is Good said:

Image result for esso football collection coins

Who remembers these ?. My brother and I used to have some arguments collecting these, so many doubles, the old man used to get them with the petrol, Esso I think. 

I remember the Esso world cup 1970 coins I found one on the street about two years later I was gutted I thought it was 10p. This is one of the first adverts I remember as a kid.

4 minutes ago, bluehaze said:

I remember the Esso world cup 1970 coins I found one on the street about two years later I was gutted I thought it was 10p. This is one of the first adverts I remember as a kid.

I think that Esso Blue was paraffin fuel (kerosene). The advert is familiar.

21 hours ago, Boyne said:

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2017/10/fitting-memorial-for-former-player-whitley-unveiled--.html

Jack Whitley’s place in Chelsea history was not forgotten but until recently, our former player and trainer’s grave in nearby Brompton Cemetery had been.

That is no longer the case however and on Saturday, prior to the match against Manchester City, fundraising efforts by Chelsea supporters came to fruition with the unveiling of a new memorial stone for Whitley on his previously unmarked grave. It was a ceremony attend by the fund organisers and supporters, Chelsea’s chairman Bruce Buck and descendants of Whitley.  

He was a major figure for the club from our early years of existence up until the Second World War. In the wake of the short but colourful Chelsea career of the behemoth Willie ‘Fatty’ Foulke, he was our second significant goalkeeper and made his debut 110 years ago last month, keeping our first clean sheet as a top-flight club in the process.

Whitley went on to play 138 games before becoming the first team trainer, which in the days when the manager’s job was filled with administration, meant he was responsible for all areas of coaching and fitness, with a big role in player liaison and transfer negotiations. He was also the trainer of the England team on several occasions.

He continued to work for Chelsea until 1939 and died in 1955, shortly after our first league championship triumph. He was buried in Brompton Cemetery just to the east of Stamford Bridge, a fact that became lost over the course of time until rediscovered by Chelsea’s club historian Rick Glanvill. 

1506941790303.jpgJack Whitley's great grandson Andy and great great grandson Harry unveil the stone

The cemetery is also the final resting place of significant figures in Chelsea’s birth, including Henry Augustus Mears, who built Stamford Bridge as a football stadium and founded the club, and our first chairman Claude Kirby. Bobby Campbell, Chelsea manager in the late 1980s and early 1990s is also buried there.

Surprised to see Bobby Campbell buried there, wasn't he a Scouser?

6 hours ago, Osgood is Good said:

Image result for esso football collection coins

Who remembers these ?. My brother and I used to have some arguments collecting these, so many doubles, the old man used to get them with the petrol, Esso I think. 

Got the whole set from the old Esso garage which used to be on the corner of New Kings Road and Fulham High Street.  We never had a car so us kids mercilessly scrounged them from the garage attendants who got so pissed off with us we’d get handfuls to go away.  I got full sets of pretty much everything Esso did.

6 minutes ago, Ewell CFC said:

Wasn't there some tie in with Esso Blue and Chelsea?

My cousin Jackie was a secretary in the old ivy clad club office- she went on to marry Ray Wilkins.

I'm pretty sure she gave a signed CFC team photo to me older brother in the early 70's which had the Esso Blue logo somewhere in the corner.   

I'm sure there was an Esso TV Advert featuring the team in the 70's..Ive never seen it..never been able to find it..but there was a feature in a home Programme at the time.

On 8 October 2017 at 14:35, erskblue said:

Classic strip above, classy team too.

Yes....totally agree....the late 1960's .....is a very nostalgic time fondly remembered by me.....back then I used to turn to go home and away & Leicester!  ...( that song was first sung in December 1968 ...on my 1st away match outside of London .....on a wrecked London Midland Football Special Train coming back from watching Chelsea beating Leicester 4-1 at Filbert street and also Beating their fans on their own turf in the Filbert Street Spoin Kop.......I remember the train having no windows in it....and the Chelsea mob from Kilburn getting onto the railway tracks near Wealdstone and finally arriving into St Pancras around 3 hours late about 10.30pm