Vintage Blues pictures and film

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

2 hours ago, chi blue said:

"We're the whitewall, we're the whitewall, we're the whitewall of the shed"

To the tune of some Adam Ant song...

" We are the Whitewall, we're going to Bristol, why don't the middle..."

First time I went in the Shed (77), we arrived well early and plotted up in a near empty Whitewall. I remember saying to my brother " Can't we move a bit further in towards the middle bit?"

He assured me that where we were would be lively enough when it filled out. Also I recall being right in front of a crash barrier- they were handy for sticking your programme on for a pre match peruse. When it started getting busier he moved me on knowing that during a surge the worst place to be was leaning on one, with the combined weight of everyone else on you.

Just thinking about the Shed, the gangways had to be kept open no matter how packed it got; Safety Regs no doubt. However if you look at old photos of the Kop, which got ram jammed week in week out, their don't seem to be any gangways. It's just one continuos mass of people from left to right, unless I'm wrong?

Edited by Ewell CFC

2 hours ago, Ewell CFC said:

To the tune of some Adam Ant song...

" We are the Whitewall, we're going to Bristol, why don't the middle..."

First time I went in the Shed (77), we arrived well early and plotted up in a near empty Whitewall. I remember saying to my brother " Can't we move a bit further in towards the middle bit?"

He assured me that where we were would be lively enough when it filled out. Also I recall being right in front of a crash barrier- they were handy for sticking your programme on for a pre match peruse. When it started getting busier he moved me on knowing that during a surge the worst place to be was leaning on one, with the combined weight of everyone else on you.

Just thinking about the Shed, the gangways had to be kept open no matter how packed it got; Safety Regs no doubt. However if you look at old photos of the Kop, which got ram jammed week in week out, their don't seem to be any gangways. It's just one continuos mass of people from left to right, unless I'm wrong?

A mate of mine wasn't a massive football fan but he'd ask me every week when we were at home '' Do you think there will be any knees up in the Shed''. So if we were playing someone like Newcastle (we were still at school late 70's early 80's) he'd come and we'd go in the middle and he loved it being a big lump helped. Singing songs that were X certificate, smoking, swearing nicking stuff from the shops it was like a rowdy school trip every two weeks away games especially in London were even better.

You could never go down the front that was where the middle aged men (where I would be now :smile:) stood sometimes with their sons who you knew wanted to be with us in the heart of it. We also used to transfer to the benches saying '' I sent off for my membership and it still hasn't come'' the bloke used to say ok and we'd give them ten bob as I recall this is when the benches were benches.

13 hours ago, Boyne said:

Image result for stamford bridge in the fifties

Image result for stamford bridge in the fifties

Am guessing that the picture of Ossie was taken in 1971 or 1972 as I can see the number 2 on the tax disc.

Footballers seemed to look more like real men in the 70s compared with today. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it might have something to do with the abundance of sideburns and taches.

I suppose it's a generational thing; me Grandad and old man used to take the piss something rotten when players took to cuddling and  kissing team mates after a goal - " load of fairies" - 66 World Cup I don't recall Jack Charlton planting a smacker on Geoff Hursts lips after he did the business, five years later if was all the rage.

Nowadays I find all the power slides onto knees and stagey celebrations a bit childish and cringey. Hey ho

Edited by Ewell CFC

1 hour ago, Ewell CFC said:

Footballers seemed to look more like real men in the 70s compared with today. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it might have something to do with the abundance of sideburns and taches.

I suppose it's a generational thing; me Grandad and old man used to take the piss something rotten when players took to cuddling and  kissing team mates after a goal - " load of fairies" - 66 World Cup I don't recall Jack Charlton planting a smacker on Geoff Hursts lips after he did the business, five years later if was all the rage.

Nowadays I find all the power slides onto knees and stagey celebrations a bit childish and cringey. Hey ho

Your grandad and old man might have appreciated the Harry Enfield sketch of the Arsenal team of 1933 playing the Liverpool team of 1991. The tears were running down my legs when I saw it for the first time.

Couldn't think of anywhere else to post this. 

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2018/03/bates-stars-at-cpo-dinner-25-years-on.html

Ken Bates, the club’s former chairman, was the very special guest at a Chelsea Pitch Owners dinner at Stamford Bridge on Friday night.

The event celebrated the 25th anniversary of CPO, which Bates created to protect Stamford Bridge once we had successfully taken control of the ground after years of strife with property developers.

Bates spoke about the origins of the CPO and how the idea came about, the work he did behind the scenes at the club, and how the team grew on the pitch in the 1990s leading up to the spate of trophies we enjoyed towards the end of the decade, with those glories also commemorated over the course of the evening.

‘In 1998 we won the League Cup, the Cup Winners’ Cup and, greatest of all, in the sand of Monaco, we beat Real Madrid 1-0 in the Super Cup,’ Bates recalled 20 years on from those successes.

‘We were the champions of Europe. Both the president and the general secretary of UEFA wrote to the club and said, ‘congratulations, you are now one of Europe’s greats’. It was nice.’

Bates, who took over as Chelsea chairman in 1982, sold the club to Roman Abramovich 21 years later, and he talked those in attendance through his reasoning for moving on.

‘When I was approached to sell the club, I thought it would be a great opportunity to take the club to a higher level at a faster rate than I could do.

‘If you look at it now, it’s a very strong club, very strong commercially, and all you have to do is look at the trophies we have won since 2003. It speaks for itself.’

1521920772954.jpgCurrent chairman Bruce Buck was among those in attendance

During the evening there was also a silent auction to raise funds for CPO, and a raffle ticket was drawn by Scott Minto, a member of the 1997 FA Cup-winning team. Later Charles Rose, CPO’s chairman, took to the microphone with a simple message:

‘Thank you very much to Mr Bates for agreeing to be our guest and for entertaining us so royally, and for everything you did for us as a company.’

To be fair he did save us. Once a northener always a northener same with the Americans. The Russian has certainly put "his money were his mouth is " to me Good old uncle ken tried to kill us  (instead of listening to us ) though thank the heavens  for bank of Scotland and MH.

53 minutes ago, Londons Finest said:

To be fair he did save us. Once a northener always a northener same with the Americans. The Russian has certainly put "his money were his mouth is " to me Good old uncle ken tried to kill us  (instead of listening to us ) though thank the heavens  for bank of Scotland and MH.

Why on earth would "uncle Ken try to kill us" ?

The old MH saved us line again as well, no he didnt he didnt need to, he loaned the club money with interest.

18 minutes ago, Carshalton Blue said:

Why on earth would "uncle Ken try to kill us" ?

The old MH saved us line again as well, no he didnt he didnt need to, he loaned the club money with interest.

Uncle Ken courted controversy but he did take us on when we were teatering on the edge of total financial disaster, he fought off the property developers in the 80's and stuck by John Neal when many were asking for John Neal's head, thus giving us that team we talk about endlessly on this forum still today. He brought in Hoddle who started the modern thinking Chelsea FC, and oversaw the ground redevelopment, the club he took over in the early 80's to that hot sunny Wembley afternoon in 97 were worlds apart. Yes stubborn as sh*t but fought our corner till the end, and when it looked like it was going to hit the fan again he sold to Roman.

Ken Bates, Jonny Neal, 1983/84, happy days

Carshalton, first  of all thankyou for starting this thread its fantastic. Even Chelsea brothers have differences

Uncle ken was not born Chelsea. When i say kill, i mean electric fences. Chi is correct he  did do alot for us. When you want to electrify your own fans. When you get left  in sweden after paying huge prices to Chelsea FC to get there write  letter of complaint and get tol d"tough" then you know who is real CHELSEA.

Like i said difference  of opinion. Keep up the good work.

13 hours ago, Carshalton Blue said:

How do you think men like Matthew Harding who let's not forget was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth get to the top?. By being hard arsed business men, do you think he was just going to give millions of pounds gratis to Chelsea who at the time were a failing business just because he was a fan of course not. Palace have had two multi millionaire chairman go bust and lose their fortunes after pumping millions into the club they supported.

Bates saved us but he also had little time for the fans, electric fence, the most expensive club in the country even when we were in the second division, he threatened to sue the Chelsea Independent because they wanted to know a bit more about his holding company in Jersey. Do you remember when all the goals were allowed to be shown on the news and MOTD in the 80's apart from one club yes Chelsea 

He brought us to the brink of administration with debts of £140 million and if Abramovich hadn't come in well we would have been completely fooked.

On 12/3/2018 at 19:25, Richard P said:

Was in the seats above that day. Think a few of the windows on the special were damaged coming out of Edge Hill.

I remember the walk back to lime street station it took ages with the muppets following us trying to take pop shots at us 

I surprised myself today. I told the story a while back of a particular match i and my leyton mates went to. I could remember it was spuds v wolves early 70s in a poss semi of some sort. Turns out it was 72 uefa cup final which was sorted over 2 legs. How pissed were we. Howd we get in and were any of you there HELPING wolves

On 27/03/2018 at 09:38, bluehaze said:

How do you think men like Matthew Harding who let's not forget was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth get to the top?. By being hard arsed business men, do you think he was just going to give millions of pounds gratis to Chelsea who at the time were a failing business just because he was a fan of course not. Palace have had two multi millionaire chairman go bust and lose their fortunes after pumping millions into the club they supported.

Bates saved us but he also had little time for the fans, electric fence, the most expensive club in the country even when we were in the second division, he threatened to sue the Chelsea Independent because they wanted to know a bit more about his holding company in Jersey. Do you remember when all the goals were allowed to be shown on the news and MOTD in the 80's apart from one club yes Chelsea 

He brought us to the brink of administration with debts of £140 million and if Abramovich hadn't come in well we would have been completely fooked.

He pulled some strokes that fella; before during and after his tenure at ours.

I can't remember what Euro game we were  coming back from but we got talking to him at Stanstead- he was wearing a very wide grin whilst announcing that Newcastle had just sacked Gullit.

Edited by Ewell CFC