Vintage Blues pictures and film

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

19580830.jpg Some match !   We beat Wolves, who the eventual Champions 6-2 . Jimmy Greaves got 5 !  He scored in the 5th, 38th, 55th,62nd and 75th mins. with Michael Block our other scorer in the 44th minute.   In front of 62,118 spectators. They got their money's worth that day.

19580910.jpg Our next home game of 1958/59 saw us beat Newcastle Utd 6-5 !   In front of 46.601.   Peter Brabrook 20th, Jimmy Greaves 40th and 47th, Tony Nicholas 80th and Ron Tindall 82nd and 85th minutes.  Newcastle were 5-3 ahead until the 80th minute !

6 hours ago, erskblue said:

19580830.jpg Some match !   We beat Wolves, who the eventual Champions 6-2 . Jimmy Greaves got 5 !  He scored in the 5th, 38th, 55th,62nd and 75th mins. with Michael Block our other scorer in the 44th minute.   In front of 62,118 spectators. They got their money's worth that day.

I was there that day. There was a stunned silence when Greaves consistently went past  the then captain of England, Billy Wright, as though he was a part timer. Everybody at the ground new they were witnessing a very special talent.

I was there that day. There was a stunned silence when Greaves consistently went past  the then captain of England, Billy Wright, as though he was a part timer. Everybody at the ground new they were witnessing a very special talent.

19580910.jpg Our next home game of 1958/59 saw us beat Newcastle Utd 6-5 !   In front of 46.601.   Peter Brabrook 20th, Jimmy Greaves 40th and 47th, Tony Nicholas 80th and Ron Tindall 82nd and 85th minutes.  Newcastle were 5-3 ahead until the 80th minute !

That was our problem then. We could score goals with ease but our defence was pitiful.

3 hours ago, F1905 said:

More great picks Ersk...love the boy with the megaphone ,imagine taking one of those in today ,sitting next to a tourist and giving it a full one man went to mow?

Brilliant ! :biggrin:

Imagine trying to explain your way in today to The Bridge with a baseball bat though !:biggrin:

58 minutes ago, old git said:

Great story mate. Cheers.

When you see what some of todays strikers earn and they haven't anywhere near the goal scoring talent of Jimmy Greaves...

Image result for jimmy Greaves chelsea 1950s Jimmy Greaves scores one of his four goals for Chelsea in his last game before moving to AC Milan for £80,000, Played on  Sat 29th April 1961.  We won 4-3 and Greaves scored in 10th, 37th, 53rd and 90mins.The last one a penalty.  Crowd given as 22,775 !

Looks a packed Bridge from the photo.

1 hour ago, erskblue said:

Brilliant ! :biggrin:

Imagine trying to explain your way in today to The Bridge with a baseball bat though !:biggrin:

Used to smuggle in my air horn at the age of 13  81/82.  stopped bringing it around 85/86 Great for getting everyone singing, especially waiting until everyone had got off the train walking down the platform. The acoustics were fantastic! really made the locals stop and look at what had just arrived!!

hit him on the head ,hit him on the head ,hit him on the head with a baseball bat, on the head,on the head

ps not his  fault but it always annoys me how Greaves is seen by the press /media arses as a sp*ts legend yet  his goal scoring record for us,at all  levels,  was staggering 

7 minutes ago, F1905 said:

hit him on the head ,hit him on the head ,hit him on the head with a baseball bat, on the head,on the head

ps not his  fault but it always annoys me how Greaves is seen by the press /media arses as a sp*ts legend yet  his goal scoring record for us,at all  levels,  was staggering 

I don’t think he’s ever played his Spurs past down though or bigged  his Chelsea one up.  Maybe I’m being harsh but I always think of him as one of them rather than us. 

Is he still around, haven’t heard him for years. 

yeah he is about still but pretty poorly the last time i saw / heard about him..... maybe your right ,maybe  he saw himself more them than us as well.... who knows ....

on the back of OLDGIT above saying "everybody at the ground new they were witnessing a very special talent."  i suspect older CFC  must have been gutted when he went off to Italy and then back to that lot 

1 hour ago, Richard P said:

Used to smuggle in my air horn at the age of 13  81/82.  stopped bringing it around 85/86 Great for getting everyone singing, especially waiting until everyone had got off the train walking down the platform. The acoustics were fantastic! really made the locals stop and look at what had just arrived!!

Just out of interest, where did you get air horns from back then?

Not in fashion these days, bit like rythymical hand clapping- most of the iconic songs from our terrace back catalogue that are still sung now, don’t involve any clapping, thank fcuk