Vintage Blues pictures and film

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

programme cover for Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur, Saturday, 25th Oct 1952 Sat, 25th Oct 1952 . We beat Spuds 2-1 in front of 62,688 spectators. Our scorers were: Willis (O.G) 12, McNichol 68

Alf Ramsey scored for them , with a penalty in the 70th min.

He'd eventually go on...and take Ipswich Town to their only Division 1 Championship title win:biggrin:  He would also miss another  penalty in this match.  

Yes and he would take England to that World Cup win in July 1966 at Wembley.

Another future England manager, Ron Greenwood, made his debut for us that day. Not a bad day to make your Chelsea debut.

programme cover for Chelsea v Newcastle United, Saturday, 25th Oct 1980 Sat 25th Oct 1980 in Div 2. We beat Newcastle 6-0 and we were 3-0 up at half time.  A crowd of 22,912 saw it at The Bridge.

Our scorers: Lee 15th and 86th  Fillery 34th  Walker 43rd  Lee 46th, Chivers 51st.   We were, amazingly, 5-0 up before the second half was eight minutes old !

6 hours ago, erskblue said:

Some turn out to celebrate the FA Cup win in 1970.

Just shows how so important the FA Cup was back then and how big a win it was in our history.

Massive.

A Champions League Final victory now, is as close as you could get to it's importance then.

I’ve done half a dozen or so parades. Sunday morning affairs, very happy occasions; lots of kids and parents which is nice, but some of my best Chelsea memories have been nightiime on bottom end of the Kings Rd after the 97 Cup Final, and when we wrapped up the Premiership in 2005- ( that year I had manufactured pretty poxy plastic replica Premiership drinking trophies- punted them out to local pubs- struggled like sh*t until the Bolton game- made me money that night flogging to revellers who were too happy/ pissed to care)

Cant describe just how packed the area was on both those nights. Every celebration since, including the CL Final has been a watered down version IMO

Edited by Ewell CFC

22 minutes ago, Ewell CFC said:

I’ve done half a dozen or so parades. Sunday morning affairs, very happy occasions; lots of kids and parents which is nice, but some of my best Chelsea memories have been nightiime on bottom end of the Kings Rd after the 97 Cup Final, and when we wrapped up the Premiership in 2005- ( that year I had manufactured pretty poxy plastic replica Premiership drinking trophies- punted them out to local pubs- struggled like sh*t until the Bolton game- made me money that night flogging to revellers who were too happy/ pissed to care)

Cant describe just how packed the area was on both those nights. Every celebration since, including the CL Final has been a watered down version IMO

After the Bolton game in 2005 everyone singing in the streets it was brilliant and when you're with Chelsea fans you do things you would never normally do. This geezers was pissed and lying on the ground singing I said you need a hand mate I gave him my hand and the twat got halfway fell over bringing me down with him. I had a can of beer in my back pocket which exploded beer all down my arse which wasn't great and my shoulder hurt for weeks after.

I've been to all of the parades bar 2015 and I agree they do lose their lustre a bit but you go down anyway Munich was good never seen so many people obviously still pissed from the night before.

programme cover for Chelsea v Norwich City, Friday, 26th Oct 1973 A Friday night game in Oct 73 ?  We won 3 - 0

I know it was during a tough period economically for the country. I remember my old man working on a Saturday in the shipyards, but him being off during the week at times.

The '3 day working week' from memory.

14 hours ago, bluehaze said:

After the Bolton game in 2005 everyone singing in the streets it was brilliant and when you're with Chelsea fans you do things you would never normally do. This geezers was pissed and lying on the ground singing I said you need a hand mate I gave him my hand and the twat got halfway fell over bringing me down with him. I had a can of beer in my back pocket which exploded beer all down my arse which wasn't great and my shoulder hurt for weeks after.

I've been to all of the parades bar 2015 and I agree they do lose their lustre a bit but you go down anyway Munich was good never seen so many people obviously still pissed from the night before.

A mate of mine illegally employed sold so much product in two pubs on the Kings Rd on the Bolton night, it paid for a two week all inclusive holiday.

Tones Bar North Cheam ( owned by CFC stalwart TM) Sunday night it was still ram jammed- no one had had any kip- remember clocking an older face smiling his head off whilst smoking a f**k off Havana cigar- said to him “ I didn’t know you smoked mate”’ 

He replied “‘ I dont. But I’ve been waiting 50 years for this. Seems like the right thing to do “‘ One and only time the geezer ever smoked

1 hour ago, erskblue said:

programme cover for Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur, Saturday, 26th Oct 1996 Sat, 26th Oct 1996.   We beat Spurs 3-1 at The Bridge.  Our scorers were:Gullit 27, Lee 52 (Pen), DiMatteo 80.

A crowd of 28,373 saw it.   Our first match after the tragic death of Matthew Harding.

Remember that game, I was playing football that day, and came into bar after game, and the club secretary who is a gooner season ticket holder said it was very emotional and well respected by everyone as they had the minutes silence etc on the TV in the bar, think fans from all's clubs realised that Mathew Harding although a multi millionaire was like us ordinary fans of every club, with the same feelings and emotions. MHBWA

1 hour ago, Ewell CFC said:

A mate of mine illegally employed sold so much product in two pubs on the Kings Rd on the Bolton night, it paid for a two week all inclusive holiday.

Tones Bar North Cheam ( owned by CFC stalwart TM) Sunday night it was still ram jammed- no one had had any kip- remember clocking an older face smiling his head off whilst smoking a f**k off Havana cigar- said to him “ I didn’t know you smoked mate”’ 

He replied “‘ I dont. But I’ve been waiting 50 years for this. Seems like the right thing to do “‘ One and only time the geezer ever smoked

Great story !:tHumBsBeeR:

1 hour ago, erskblue said:

programme cover for Chelsea v Norwich City, Friday, 26th Oct 1973 A Friday night game in Oct 73 ?  We won 3 - 0

I know it was during a tough period economically for the country. I remember my old man working on a Saturday in the shipyards, but him being off during the week at times.

The '3 day working week' from memory.

Just checked and found that many games became 2pm kick offs on a Saturday  during the 1973/74 winter. This was to save on electricity.

I'm sure the miners were on strike at this time .

19740115.jpg

We played QPR in an FA Cup Replay at 1.30pm on a Tuesday afternoon

It was on Tuesday, 15th January 1974 at 13:30 with a 28,573 attendance.

Nice to see that 3 QPR fans got an afternoon off work to attend.:biggrin:

10 hours ago, erskblue said:

Just checked and found that many games became 2pm kick offs on a Saturday  during the 1973/74 winter. This was to save on electricity.

I'm sure the miners were on strike at this time .

19740115.jpg

We played QPR in an FA Cup Replay at 1.30pm on a Tuesday afternoon

It was on Tuesday, 15th January 1974 at 13:30 with a 28,573 attendance.

Nice to see that 3 QPR fans got an afternoon off work to attend.:biggrin:

A lot of secondary school kids bunked off school that day!