Vintage Blues pictures and film

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

14 hours ago, old git said:

Paul would have been but for that snake Dean Saunders. 

I didn't see the challenge and tried to find it on youtube without success though recall Elliott tried to sue Saunders which certainly suggests it was a very nasty piece of work. 

16 hours ago, erskblue said:

Today, May 17th 1997.

Chelsea 2-0 Middlesbrough.

The FA Cup was ours again,at long last.

Memories?

Sheer joy from me after the early goal and celebrated at the Final Whistle and long afterwards.

The day we had arrived back again, all the promise of jonny Neal's team back in the mid 80's that didn't lead to any silverware, but after all those years we had done it, being at Wembley in the hot sun that day, it was just like the cup finals you saw on the TV in the 70's and 80's and now we were there winning it, erasing the wash out of 3 years before, that to me never felt as much like a cup final, probably the weather, still maybe my best moment as Chelsea?

16 hours ago, erskblue said:

Today, May 17th 1997.

Chelsea 2-0 Middlesbrough.

The FA Cup was ours again,at long last.

Memories?

Sheer joy from me after the early goal and celebrated at the Final Whistle and long afterwards.

A great day at Wembley. Atmosphere was brilliant. What a great strike from Robbie to set us on our way. 

14 hours ago, Boyne said:

Roy Bentley our first title-winning captain is 93 today.

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2017/05/happy-birthday-roy--an-original-champion.html

Happy Birthday Roy – an original champion

NEWSWED 17 MAY 2017

Roy Bentley, the captain, centre-forward and leading goalscorer of Chelsea’s league championship-winning team of 1954/55 is 93 years old today.

In his eight seasons at the club, Roy played 367 games and scored 150 goals. He remains to this day our fifth-highest goalscorer.

To celebrate Roy’s birthday and in this week when the current Blues team has emulated the achievement of him and his colleagues 62 years ago, the official Chelsea website has a few of his words recalling the day the league title belonged at Stamford Bridge for the very first time.

The game was against Sheffield Wednesday at home on St George’s Day 1955, Saturday 23 April. Ted Drake’s side knew if they won and Portsmouth failed to beat Cardiff away that same afternoon then they were champions with one game to spare. Captain Bentley takes up the story.

‘Rumour has it that Ted was unable to sleep the night before and there was certainly some tension among my team-mates. Our nerves were eased when Eric Parsons headed us into an early lead but by half-time there was still only one goal in it,’ he wrote in his autobiography Roy Wonder.

‘Not long after the second half started, the Wednesday keeper was injured when I struck a hard shot at him from close range. He couldn’t continue so they were forced to put one of their outfield players in goal.’

1494978854532.jpg

The game quickly went further Chelsea’s way when a penalty was awarded for handball and converted by Peter Sillett who had done similar to beat reigning champions and close challengers Wolves earlier that month. Then Parsons netted his second of the game from a Frank Blunstone cross so it was time to check the score from Wales.

However, it was soon discovered that Portsmouth’s game had kicked off 15 minutes late, so there was a wait in west London for the players and many thousands who stayed in the stadium. 

‘Ted was listening on a radio and told us the latest score was 1-1,’ recalled Bentley. ‘Some of us showered while others paced around nervously. When we heard the game had finished as a draw it was hugs and back-slapping all round.’

It was time for the new champions to be reunited with their joyful public. They went out into the directors’ box in the old East Stand.  

‘The adrenalin was pumping through my veins belying the fact my body had taken an eight-month battering. No longer was Chelsea the butt of comedians’ jokes.’

‘I spoke to the crowd after Ted,’ Bentley told Chelsea TV’s Legends programme.

‘As captain I said a few words, thanking all the players for their efforts and expressing appreciation for Ron Greenwood and John Harris. They had played a significant part but weren’t involved at the end.

‘I couldn’t help but make a special mention for John. I had taken over from him as captain and he was a close friend of mine and I felt he needed that. He had not had all his promises fulfilled. He was so delighted because he had played for Chelsea since the war, and the crowd responded but that was it, there was very little else. There was no displaying of the trophy.’ 

1494979063544.jpg

‘The scenes will always stay with me,’ he told the book Stamford Bridge Legends.

‘Looking out over thousands of fans was a special moment. Looking at the joy on the faces of the Chelsea fans made my season complete. Winning a championship medal at Stamford Bridge, I think I am prouder of that achievement than winning my England caps.’

Happy Birthday Roy!

-          Chelsea TV’s Legends featuring Roy Bentley can be watched On Demand.

As a 7 year old, I was there that day with my dad and uncles. Absolutely zero chance of me ever supporting any other team except Chelsea! Memory is a bit fuzzy, but I do remember being by the corner flag and looking side on to see Peter Sillett plant the penalty into the bottom corner of the net. My dad told me he hit the ball so hard, it broke the net!

1 hour ago, erskblue said:

The official club site has a good article about the 1997 FA Cup win called Blue Day .

Can't provide a link at the moment. Sorry.

Well worth a read.

Be grateful if someone could provide this link. Cheers in advance.

@erskblue Here's the link. There is a competition to win a copy of the book. In the latest edition of the club magazine there is an article about the 97 Cup Final. The article includes comments from the players.

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2017/05/your-chance-to-win-new--97-cup-final-book.html

Just been reading an article on thesefootballtimes site.

Paco Gento of Real Madrid played against us in the 1971 ECWC Final which we won.

. He had played in European Cup Finals on the 1950s and 1960s and won six winners medals and also had two runners up medals in the European Cup.

So he played in European Finals in three different decades.

Oh and he also won 12,urs 12 La Liga titles with Real Madrid.

Awesome!

3 hours ago, chi blue said:

remember watching when it was on at     the time,  watched again on you tube a few months ago, Chelsea through and through...' It must be love'

Seeing the Chelsea players past and present at Sugg's program made me wonder what they would have been talking about while waiting to come on. You can bet Wise and Harris would have got on well.