Carshalton Blue

Vintage Blues pictures and film

4 hours ago, old git said:

Alan Hudson, 'swarve' Marv' and Stewart Houston with the European Cup Winners Cup (I thought it was bigger than that!) but the identity of the bloke peering over their shoulders escapes me. Could be Derek Smethurst who I met when we were having a trial for Chelsea. He went on to play and coach professionally while I disappeared to non league obscurity.

Who did you play for non- league wise if you don't mind me asking?

Stuart Houston played 14 times for us,9 in the League between 1967 and 1972. He went on loan to Brentford then signed for Man Utd. He played once for Scotland,in 1975 v Denmark. He played his youth football for Port Glasgow Rangers. My old man coached some of their teams back in the mid to late 1960s.

1 hour ago, Charles Ryder said:

lyDPNlp.jpg

R.I.P. 

A great club stalwart over the years.

Remember in the 70's as a young lad those black and white plastic balls, you could either get them with club names on the white patches or players names, remember my one with players names on, I underlined Ray Wilkins on it. 

21 hours ago, Ewell CFC said:

Who did you play for non- league wise if you don't mind me asking?

Nothing spectacular mate. British Rail, South London Leagues, Government League and the Greek London League to name a few. It was quite easy to get a trial in those days. My old man wrote a letter or two to the club saying how great" I was, and wallop I was in! Ken Shellito was in charge that day but it seemed all eyes were on this kid from South Africa. He was definitely the class act that day. Nice lad to speak to as well.

13 hours ago, chi blue said:

Remember in the 70's as a young lad those black and white plastic balls, you could either get them with club names on the white patches or players names, remember my one with players names on, I underlined Ray Wilkins on it. 

What a player he was. He arrived on the scene, from the youth ranks, when the squad was in decline and immediately stood out. He was 18 when McCreadie made him captain of the first team. Testimony of his class. Being equally adept with either foot, that enabled him the time and space to engineer moves. That was it with Ray, he always seemed to have so much time.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, old git said:

What a player he was. He arrived on the scene, from the youth ranks, when the squad was in decline and immediately stood out. He was 18 when McCreadie made him captain of the first team. Testimony of his class. Being equally adept with either foot, that enabled him the time and space to engineer moves. That was it with Ray, he always seemed to have so much time.

He was pretty attacking minded with us- Tommy Doc quipped that the only time he went forward was to toss the coin, but that was later on when he became a holding midfielder.

Funny how in the late 70s the big London clubs all had an elegant talisman midfielder- Butch with us, Brady at Arsenal, Brooking over at West Ham and Glenn Hoddle with Spurs.

ps I may have missed it but haven't seen a tribute paid from Hoddle yet- they must have played together or against each other from England Schoolboys until their late 30's?

Edited by Ewell CFC

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bluehaze said:

Mickey Droy just about to attempt a Cruyff turn :smile:

611573898.jpg

Bet he used to get dogs pissing up those legs!

Judging by the East Stand being full and the shiny Adidas kit I'd say that was against Forest in 79?

Edited by Ewell CFC

2 hours ago, Ewell CFC said:

Bet he used to get dogs pissing up those legs!

Judging by the East Stand being full and the shiny Adidas kit I'd say that was against Forest in 79?

Birmingham City September 1980 lost 1-2! Great start to life in Div2

On 27/03/2018 at 09:38, bluehaze said:

How do you think men like Matthew Harding who let's not forget was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth get to the top?. By being hard arsed business men, do you think he was just going to give millions of pounds gratis to Chelsea who at the time were a failing business just because he was a fan of course not. Palace have had two multi millionaire chairman go bust and lose their fortunes after pumping millions into the club they supported.

Bates saved us but he also had little time for the fans, electric fence, the most expensive club in the country even when we were in the second division, he threatened to sue the Chelsea Independent because they wanted to know a bit more about his holding company in Jersey. Do you remember when all the goals were allowed to be shown on the news and MOTD in the 80's apart from one club yes Chelsea 

He brought us to the brink of administration with debts of £140 million and if Abramovich hadn't come in well we would have been completely fooked.

My point is Harding is seen as some sort of saviour when he clearly wasnt. 

Bates installed the electric fence after he complained about the lenient sentences dished out to some of our fans after the Sunderland riot, he said at the time why should my club be heavily fined when 30,000 people witnessed some fans rioting yet those arrested were only fined.

For the record i didnt agree with the electric fence but lets be sensible about it, there was no way he'd have ever tried or got it turned on.

The tv ban was because he felt the tv companies were taking the piss with the money they were offering, that was in the clubs interest, look at the money tv pays clubs now that comes from the likes of Bates who wanted more for his club.

Bates had little time for the fans? so he didnt organise a party for some of our travelling support in Manchester after City away in 84, he didnt buy 100s of us a drink in a Le Harve pub in the Cross Channel Cup.

He didnt give 30/40 Chelsea fans directors tickets after seeing them locked out of Luton during the away fan ban.

Yes we were expensive during our dark days but for a club charging high prices for tickets, how comes both the expensive east & west stands had more fans in them than the cheaper shed terrace for most games.

Lets not forget his legacy of introducing the CPO for us fans to protect the stadium, something else along with the club that he also saved.

Funny how fans say he nearly took us in to administration, hindsight is a wonderful thing, when we were signing world class players in the mid 90s fans wernt bothered where the money was coming from then, we had loads of top class talent we could have sold if it had come to administration, which i doubt would ever have happened given where the club was in the previous seasons, cup winners & competed in the CL only a few seasons before.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Carshalton Blue said:

My point is Harding is seen as some sort of saviour when he clearly wasnt. 

Bates installed the electric fence after he complained about the lenient sentences dished out to some of our fans after the Sunderland riot, he said at the time why should my club be heavily fined when 30,000 people witnessed some fans rioting yet those arrested were only fined.

For the record i didnt agree with the electric fence but lets be sensible about it, there was no way he'd have ever tried or got it turned on.

The tv ban was because he felt the tv companies were taking the piss with the money they were offering, that was in the clubs interest, look at the money tv pays clubs now that comes from the likes of Bates who wanted more for his club.

Bates had little time for the fans? so he didnt organise a party for some of our travelling support in Manchester after City away in 84, he didnt buy 100s of us a drink in a Le Harve pub in the Cross Channel Cup.

He didnt give 30/40 Chelsea fans directors tickets after seeing them locked out of Luton during the away fan ban.

Yes we were expensive during our dark days but for a club charging high prices for tickets, how comes both the expensive east & west stands had more fans in them than the cheaper shed terrace for most games.

Lets not forget his legacy of introducing the CPO for us fans to protect the stadium, something else along with the club that he also saved.

Funny how fans say he nearly took us in to administration, hindsight is a wonderful thing, when we were signing world class players in the mid 90s fans wernt bothered where the money was coming from then, we had loads of top class talent we could have sold if it had come to administration, which i doubt would ever have happened given where the club was in the previous seasons, cup winners & competed in the CL only a few seasons before.

You say we were buying quality players in the mid 90's exactly the time Matthew Harding came on board. We weren't exactly buying quality before then were we?. Matthew Harding wanted to buy Le Tissier all of a sudden there was money available before Harding we were buying the likes of Andy Dow, Cascarino, Tommy Boyd and we were managed by Porterfield and good old David Webb. What's hindsight got to do with it? he brought us to the brink of administration with massive debts. Bates went cap in hand to Matthew Harding and Matthew Harding obliged and made funds available.

So you think he wouldn't have turned it on so why do it in the first place ? football fans were treated like cattle and literally this is what Bates proposed to do. The GLC stopped him if they hadn't he would have turned it on no doubt about it. What your saying mirrors exactly what happened in the early 70's bit of success and then the club started to make grandiose plans we ended up in debt and nearly wiped out. If Roman hadn't come we'd have been 140 million in debt would have sold Terry and Lampard who weren't the finished article yet so we wouldn't have got massive fees for them. Eider and JFH would have gone as well so what then no money to spend on the team dwindling crowds and a real possibility of relegation and that game in 2003 against Liverpool we needed to win that because we were so skint with the team we would have had left it's doubtful if we would have made it through the qualifying round. 

Your point about the expensive seats is a weird one you're saying exactly what happened then and what's happening now the average working man can't afford to go and the best seats are sold out because the people who buy them can afford them.

Edited by bluehaze

22 hours ago, bluehaze said:

In the pictures of Ray Wilkins I don't remember the home kit having those perforated holes was that for the players only ?.

It was to let the body breath so players didn't get too hot and sweaty...something like that.

I think it was a new concept in shirt design straight from the 78 world cup which was in the summer  

I am with bluehaze on this one. Bates was never real Chelsea. It was a business and power tool for him thats all he did not love Chelsea like us,it really is in the blood, not sure what he really had in his.......still looks like he mad a few bob looking at the size of his belly......diffrent opinions Carshalton we all have our own.

On 4/5/2018 at 09:43, bluehaze said:

Mickey Droy just about to attempt a Cruyff turn :smile:

611573898.jpg

I was just reading a news article about Mickey Walsh (ex Blackpool and Everton striker) who is recovering from a mild stroke, and he describes his Everton debut with this quote........

'I so wanted to do well but first game in, my debut against Chelsea, big Micky Droy re-arranged five of my teeth with his elbow for me. I wore a black brace for the next six weeks' 

It made me grin. Wish him a speedy recovery

On 06/04/2018 at 09:03, bluehaze said:

In the pictures of Ray Wilkins I don't remember the home kit having those perforated holes was that for the players only ?.

I believe they had them for the team picture for the start of the 77/78 season and then Umbro brought out the shirts with the diamonds on the sleeves and shorts that were actually used ready for the season. That was my first shirt, and as a growing 10 year old by the next season it wasn’t the same material it had gone to the silk version for the disastrous 78,79 season!

Just bought these two books Eddie McCreadie was the manager when I first started going regularly. I used to read the Chelsea Independent but it went through a stage of having far to much political comment for a football fanzine. 

WP_20180411_12_27_27_Pro.jpg