Now on a migrated server, any problems CLICK HERE

Carshalton Blue

Vintage Blues pictures and film

2 hours ago, erskblue said:

Thursday, 16th May 1985, we won 3-2 in front of 7,239.

The friendly was in aid of The Bradford Fire Disaster.            

I was at the game. I did have a programme but gave it to one of my Rangers supporting cousins many years ago. One of our substitutes was Dale Jasper. At half-time he must have left the ground as a tannoy announcement was made asking for him to go to the changing rooms. The chant went up: "Jasper, where are you."

A few months later we played Liverpool at Anfield - the score was 1-1 and between 1,000 and 1,500 Rangers fans were at the match. That weekend, there were no top flight club games in Scotland due to an international. A cracking atmosphere.

59 minutes ago, Ewell CFC said:

What’s your memories of Athens if you don’t mind me asking OG?

In the stadium itself....moths, bloody big bastards fluttering down on top of our heads, as we were sat underneath one of the floodlights. Outside, we walked into a bar which was like the black hole of Calcutta. You couldn't see the hand in front of your face. I was out of there like a rat up a drainpipe.

Beating Forest 2-1 at The Bridge back in 1976-77 .

We both went up, Forest just then amazingly (still !), they won the Division 1 title and then two European Cups in the following three seasons !

It's the goals, commentary by Barry Davies.

Edited by erskblue

26 minutes ago, erskblue said:

Beating Forest 2-1 at The Bridge back in 1976-77 .

We both went up, Forest just then amazingly (still !), they won the Division 1 title and then two European Cups in the following three seasons !

It's the goals, commentary by Barry Davies.

People and especially sky go on about Leicester winning the premiership the other year and how it was possibly the greatest achievement ever in football, total sky bollox as usual, they would have you believe  football never existed before they came on seen in early 90's. Yes Leicesters win was fantastic but Forest gaining promotion, winning title following year and then back to back European cups and the league cup on numerous occasions was truly amazing. A part from Peter Shilton in goal they didn't really have any world class players, although some very good ones, and an amazing management team.

1 minute ago, chi blue said:

People and especially sky go on about Leicester winning the premiership the other year and how it was possibly the greatest achievement ever in football, total sky bollox as usual, they would have you believe  football never existed before they came on seen in early 90's. Yes Leicesters win was fantastic but Forest gaining promotion, winning title following year and then back to back European cups and the league cup on numerous occasions was truly amazing. A part from Peter Shilton in goal they didn't really have any world class players, although some very good ones, and an amazing management team.

Totally agree about Forest ,(with all due respect to Leicester 's great Premiership Title win)

eg Kenny Burns was a decent striker with Birmingham City. Played for Scotland v Sweden as a striker in April 77 .

Brian Clough bought him in the autumn of 77 and transformed him into a central defender.

So well transformed was Burns, that he was PFA Player of the Year for 1977/78 and went to play for Scotland as a central defender in the 1978 World Cup !

7 hours ago, erskblue said:

Totally agree about Forest ,(with all due respect to Leicester 's great Premiership Title win)

eg Kenny Burns was a decent striker with Birmingham City. Played for Scotland v Sweden as a striker in April 77 .

Brian Clough bought him in the autumn of 77 and transformed him into a central defender.

So well transformed was Burns, that he was PFA Player of the Year for 1977/78 and went to play for Scotland as a central defender in the 1978 World Cup !

Played next to Larry Lloyd did Burns.

Peter Taylor deserves some credit in his partnership with Clough. He was the player spotter by accounts.

Always thought John Robertson was a terrific, chalk on your boots winger.

Funny how at school in London, I don’t remember any glory hunting kids becoming Forest fans ( ala Liverpool)

53 minutes ago, Ewell CFC said:

Played next to Larry Lloyd did Burns.

Peter Taylor deserves some credit in his partnership with Clough. He was the player spotter by accounts.

Always thought John Robertson was a terrific, chalk on your boots winger.

Funny how at school in London, I don’t remember any glory hunting kids becoming Forest fans ( ala Liverpool)

A bit different down here in West Sussex, there were a few Forest and Ipswich fans, glory hunters

37 minutes ago, chi blue said:

A bit different down here in West Sussex, there were a few Forest and Ipswich fans, glory hunters

Same up here in the West of Scotland !

There were a few Ipswich and Forest replica strips worn in the late 1970s and early 1970s.

Along with Spuds, Liverpool and Man Utd. Not many Arsenal ones worn.

There were certainly two Chelsea fans in my secondary school back then. Probably a lot more now !

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2018/11/19/the-day-jimmy-became-a-record-breaker?cardIndex=0-3

The day Jimmy became a record breaker

It was on this day 58 years ago Jimmy Greaves, one of the most potent strikers in Chelsea history, scored his 100th league goal for the club. To this day, no player has achieved the feat for the Blues in a shorter period of time.

The milestone moment arrived during a thrilling contest against Manchester City at Stamford Bridge on a day when nine goals were shared between the two teams, three of which were scored by Greaves, just 20 years old at the time, as the Blues ran out 6-3 winners.

Greaves had given us the lead after just two minutes, and added another couple of strikes before half-time, one of 13 hat-tricks he would score in a blue shirt.

Bobby Tambling was also on target and Ron Tindall chipped in with a brace, but there was no doubt it was Greaves’s day.

JIMMY GREAVES
Jimmy Greaves for Chelsea.
>

JIMMY GREAVES

During his time at Stamford Bridge, Greaves, who came through the ranks at the club, was as prolific as they come, first for our youth team and then once he had made the natural step up to senior level.

Handed his debut at the age of 17 on the opening day of the 1957/58 season, in an away game at Tottenham (pictured below), Greaves popped up five minutes from time to score his first Chelsea goal and earn us a point against our London rivals. From that moment he never looked back and the London-born forward went on to enjoy a goal-filled four-season spell in the side.

Reporting on the game at White Hart Lane for the Daily Express, journalist Desmond Hackett described Greaves’s performance as: ‘The greatest show I have ever seen from a young player on his league debut, and I have seen the juvenile…Johnny Haynes and Duncan Edwards.’

Greaves pictured on his Chelsea debut against Tottenham in 1957, when he scored the first of his 132 goals for the Blues.

High praise, indeed, but Greaves was a one-off and the fact he scored 132 goals in 169 appearances for the Blues tells its own story.

‘I think when I played for Chelsea I just had a natural ability to score goals. I loved scoring. I would rather play badly for 89 minutes and score the winner than play well for 90 and not hit the net. At Chelsea I just scored goals, it was a natural thing for me to do.'

photo of Jimmy Greaves Jimmy Greaves

Just a couple of weeks after firing home his 100th league goal, Greaves scored five times in a 7-1 win over West Bromwich Albion, one of three occasions on which he registered a five-goal haul for the Blues, and over the course of the campaign he netted 41 league goals in 40 starts, a phenomenal return.

It was on the final day of that 1960/61 season Greaves played his last game for Chelsea, and what a way to go out for the forward who, having been handed the captain’s armband, scored all four of our goals in a 4-3 win over Nottingham Forest at the Bridge, before being carried off the pitch on the shoulders of his team-mates.

Greaves swapped England for Italy, Stamford Bridge for the San Siro, as he moved to AC Milan, and when he returned to these shores he would go on to play for both Tottenham and West Ham.

His time at Chelsea, though, is a period of his career Greaves looks back on with much fondness, as it is for those supporters who were fortunate enough to watch him in action.

Clinical, ruthless and deadly in front of goal. A true striker in every sense of the word and undoubtedly one of the very best to wear the Chelsea blue.

2 hours ago, chi blue said:

not many though although I do remember seeing 2 Forest lads on the train after the Portsmouth and Bognor Train had joined at Barnham

8 hours ago, Boyne said:

Image may contain: stadium and outdoor

Beautiful! Apart from the picture of Raquel Welch in her Chelsea strip, this is best picture on the site! The kop, Stretford end, Holte end, shelf or North Bank famous home ends, but this was the most infamous end in English Football! 'The Chelsea Shed' need I say more

3 hours ago, chi blue said:

Wonder if those who were the Forest and Ipswich fans still follow them ?:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Richard P said:

Another game where definitely more in our end than supposed to be!! Those turnstile operators must have earnt a fortune!! 45,000 at the game!

I think the estimates were of 20k plus, no other London club has invaded another London club in those numbers surely