Vintage Blues pictures and film

1 hour ago, Backbiter said:

I don't think it was that old. Pretty sure it went up in the 30s or 40s, and didn't last very long. When I first went to the Bridge in the mid 70s I think the top tier was already out of use.

I think it had already been chopped in half by then, too. Which was a very weird thing to do to a two tier stand.

Edited by Backbiter

20 hours ago, Richard P said:

One of the side streets off lots road in the background. Handy for parking on match day, although it now costs 14£ for four hours on a meter!

Pretty sure he lived down there, or at least his mum & dad did, as they were friends of my dad...

20 hours ago, Richard P said:

One of the side streets off lots road in the background. Handy for parking on match day, although it now costs 14£ for four hours on a meter!

Pretty sure he lived down there, or at least his mum & dad did, as they were friends of my dad...

9 hours ago, Backbiter said:

I don't think it was that old. Pretty sure it went up in the 30s or 40s, and didn't last very long. When I first went to the Bridge in the mid 70s I think the top tier was already out of use.

Just checked. You're right. That small stand was built later than I thought.

Must have been in the early 1930s.

13 hours ago, Shug said:

Alan Hudson describes himself as having been born "within an Ian Hutchinson long throw of Stamford Bridge." He first lived in Elm Park Gardens, and then moved even closer to the Bridge, to a prefab at 23 Upcerne Road. Here he is outside the prefab on the day of the 1970 FA Cup Final, for which he was unavailable having done his ankle in during the game at West Brom.

Alan Hudson Prefab.jpg

On ‎09‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 21:40, Carshalton Blue said:

West Ham United vs Chelsea December 1940 A roof spotter looks out for a German air raid

Cpr-siVWcAACcIO.jpg

It truly is a 'funny old game', roll on 70 odd years & it's the West Ham fans that now need the binoculars.

Great pictures by the way.

42 minutes ago, Richard P said:

Were we at Mitcham until the debts started to mount in the mid 70s?

Seeing as the Cat is wearing his England gear it's more likely to be at the Bank of England sports ground in Roehampton where England used to train before home matches, you're right about Mitcham though, sold it to Palace after our first bankruptcy in 76 and moved to the Met Police sports ground in East Molesey, near Hampton Court.

Edited by MKBlue

48 minutes ago, MKBlue said:

Seeing as the Cat is wearing his England gear it's more likely to be at the Bank of England sports ground in Roehampton where England used to train before home matches, you're right about Mitcham though, sold it to Palace after our first bankruptcy in 76 and moved to the Met Police sports ground in East Molesey, near Hampton Court.

What year did we move to Harlington?

1 hour ago, MKBlue said:

Is that the same as Imber Court where the Met Police play?  If so I won't even go and watch Dulwich Hamlet play, it's the most souless place on earth.

7 hours ago, Richard P said:

Massive away support!!! Seen this pic before, think it's against Sunderland. Terrace that held about 11,500 at the time.

Looks like a couple of hundred of people there. I remember one game in the mid to late eighties - I think it was against Oxford United in the Full Members Cup - when there was about a dozen fans in the away end. After a while the stewards moved the Oxford fans to the East Stand so they could closed the North Stand for the evening.

40 minutes ago, Boyne said:

Looks like a couple of hundred of people there. I remember one game in the mid to late eighties - I think it was against Oxford United in the Full Members Cup - when there was about a dozen fans in the away end. After a while the stewards moved the Oxford fans to the East Stand so they could closed the North Stand for the evening.

I remember that! Think it was pissing down so they moved them into Gate 13/Family Section....