Vintage Blues pictures and film

6 hours ago, erskblue said:

James Docherty had a brief career at Chelsea. Signed from East Stirling for £45,000 . A decent enough fee back then for a player from the lower Scottish Leagues. Made a substitute appearance v Liverpool on 3 March 1979. Petar Borota Chelsea debut.

Two starts followed in March v West Bromwich Albion,full debut and v QPR when he was subbed. That was it, Chelsea wise.

He moved on a free to Dundee Utd in Nov 79. Looks like the same time as Eamonn Bannon moved there..Bannons fee was £170,000.

I remember Eamonn Bannon. A youngster when he came to Chelsea, and pretty decent player, I thought. I remember when missed a sitter though, clean through on goal against Derby if I remember correctly. After Blanchflower was sacked Hurst didn't really fancy him and he was sold unfortunately.

10 hours ago, Osgood is Good said:

I remember Eamonn Bannon. A youngster when he came to Chelsea, and pretty decent player, I thought. I remember when missed a sitter though, clean through on goal against Derby if I remember correctly. After Blanchflower was sacked Hurst didn't really fancy him and he was sold unfortunately.

He was brilliant for Dundee United after he left us.

The £200,000 we paid Hearts in Feb 79 for Bannon, stopped Hearts going into serious trouble financially. That money went straight to the bank to pay debts owed by Hearts at that time.

The fee Dundee Utd paid us of £170,000 was a record paid by any Scottish club buying a player.

Bannon went on to play 11 times for Scotland including the Mexico 86 World Cup and the 1986/87 UEFA Cup Final in 1987 when United lost to Gothenburg.

R.I.P Norman Medhurst.

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2017/06/norman-medhurst.html

Chelsea Football Club is saddened to learn of the passing of our former physiotherapist Norman Medhurst who served the club for 25 years. We send our condolences to his family and friends.

Norman followed in the footsteps of his father, Harry Medhurst, who was a goalkeeper for Chelsea in the period after the Second World War before becoming the club’s physio. Norman’s first job at Stamford Bridge was with the kit while he studied injury treatment, after which he became an assistant to his father. This was in the mid-1960s.

Harry retired and Norman took on a more senior role in 1974, around the time he also started working with the England national side, a position that continued for two decades with Norman on the bench at European Championships and World Cups, including Italia ’90 when England reached the semi-finals.

At Chelsea, he was a very familiar figure to the fans with ‘Norman, Norman, give us a wave’ frequently chanted as he walked back round the side of the pitch, having sprinted on and treated a stricken player. A wave would duly follow.

Norman left Chelsea and London in 1988, seeking a quieter life in the West Country where he worked for Plymouth and Torquay. He spent the later years of his retirement in France. 

10 minutes ago, Boyne said:

R.I.P Norman Medhurst.

Chelsea Football Club is saddened to learn of the passing of our former physiotherapist Norman Medhurst who served the club for 25 years. We send our condolences to his family and friends.

Norman followed in the footsteps of his father, Harry Medhurst, who was a goalkeeper for Chelsea in the period after the Second World War before becoming the club’s physio. Norman’s first job at Stamford Bridge was with the kit while he studied injury treatment, after which he became an assistant to his father. This was in the mid-1960s.

Harry retired and Norman took on a more senior role in 1974, around the time he also started working with the England national side, a position that continued for two decades with Norman on the bench at European Championships and World Cups, including Italia ’90 when England reached the semi-finals.

At Chelsea, he was a very familiar figure to the fans with ‘Norman, Norman, give us a wave’ frequently chanted as he walked back round the side of the pitch, having sprinted on and treated a stricken player. A wave would duly follow.

Norman left Chelsea and London in 1988, seeking a quieter life in the West Country where he worked for Plymouth and Torquay. He spent the later years of his retirement in France. 

RIP good old Norman.

2 hours ago, erskblue said:

The £200,000 we paid Hearts in Feb 79 for Bannon, stopped Hearts going into serious trouble financially. That money went straight to the bank to pay debts owed by Hearts at that time.

The fee Dundee Utd paid us of £170,000 was a record paid by any Scottish club buying a player.

Bannon went on to play 11 times for Scotland including the Mexico 86 World Cup and the 1986/87 UEFA Cup Final in 1987 when United lost to Gothenburg.

I liked him a lot, a touch of class amongst a load of dross we had back then.

4 hours ago, Boyne said:

R.I.P Norman Medhurst.

Back in the day, other teams had players called up to the England squad like Robson, shilton, butcher, and Barnes the only real mention we might get was if john motson or Barry Davies said Norman medhurst the England and Chelsea physio. Rip

11 hours ago, F1905 said:

RIP Norman.... Your right Chi Blue but we also got a mention when the cameras panned across the crowd and showed all the Union Jacks with CHELSEA FC written across them 

Yes your right there, remember mexico 86 when we played the argies in 1/4 final, before game the TV cameras were showing the crowd outside the ground, and some lads were walking round with a huge Chelsea union jack with Chelsea mitcham on it, these days its st George cross flags with bury, Preston and bolton etc, but back then there use to be loads of Chelsea union jacks following england

15 hours ago, erskblue said:

Norman Medhurst and his dad Harry will always have a special place in our great club. Both Chelsea men through and through .

Deserved tributes on the club website and on here.

My dad knew Harry from when he was a kid in the worlds end. Used to get tickets for big games off him.

Always remember cheering Norman as he sprinted across the pitch, and he always waved at the benches