Jump to content

Vintage Blues pictures and film


Recommended Posts


21 hours ago, Ewell CFC said:

We’ve had some very influential Scots at Chelsea over the years.

From Wee Hughie Gallagher, Tommy Doc, Cooke, Tommy Mac, Ian Britton, Wee Pat, Speedo etc etc.

Who was the last Caledonian to play for us?

 

 

 

Stevie Clarke ?

Bluehaze: Just noticed you relied with Stevie Clarke. Cheers.

Our very first player manager was Scottish don't forget.

Edited by erskblue
Link to post
Share on other sites

1905 - 1906

Seasoned Rangers and Scotland midfielder Jacky Robertson took a brave leap into the unknown at the helm of brand new club Chelsea on 18 April 1905 and scored the new team’s first ever goal.

At 28 he was in his prime and took the position of player-manager – a surprisingly regular role down the years at Stamford Bridge, and by definition one for the touchline novice. Accompanied by Fred Parker, the man whose brainchild Chelsea FC was, and substantially bankrolled by the board, Robertson swiftly toured the country, recruiting players and selling the concept of the club ahead of its successful election to Football League Division Two.

‘Among the applications I received,’ he wrote at Christmas 1905, ‘was one from a man who said he was a splendid centre-forward but if that position was not vacant he could manipulate a turnstile. Another wrote: “You will be astonished to see me skip down the line like a deer”.’

Thankfully, Robertson used his international connections and renowned tactical awareness to produce a squad balancing glamour and functionality and came close to earning promotion in his debut season. His Dumbarton twang was not the only accent among personnel drawn from across the British Isles but perhaps his finest talent-spot was a Cockney, George Hilsdon, in spring 1906.

‘Gatling Gun George’ would become Chelsea’s first goals centurion, but Robertson’s reign was cut short in late November the same year, amid no little mystery and rumours of over-fondness for alcohol. The Scot switched to Glossop, then Manchester United, before playing a leading role in the early development of Hungarian football from 1912 at MTK Budapest.

He died in Wiltshire after a long illness on 24 January 1935 aged 57 and was seen off by many old international teammates at Rutherglen Cemetery, Glasgow. 

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/about-chelsea/history/former-managers/john-tait-robertson
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, erskblue said:

Stevie Clarke ?

Bluehaze: Just noticed you relied with Stevie Clarke. Cheers.

Our very first player manager was Scottish don't forget.

Best Scottish player Pat Nevin I was at the Fulham 5-3 and then the Newcastle game when he pissed all over them. Another player who didn't get enough international caps although Hansen only got about 18 so he wasn't alone. Top bloke as well Pat Nevin and criminally underused by the BBC.

Edited by bluehaze
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, old git said:

 'Jukebox' Durie is worth a mention. Strong, pacy and a lethal striker. Scored goals whoever he played for.

Great till he went to spuds. Then he was 'judus durie' said he was off to scotland.

Never forgave him for that one.

What about little John Spencer ( apart from that famous penalty miss)

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, the real shed end said:

Great till he went to spuds. Then he was 'judus durie' said he was off to scotland.

Never forgave him for that one.

What about little John Spencer ( apart from that famous penalty miss)

Which one? Nevin achieved fame for one of the all-time bad penalties, but Spencer's has slipped my mind. Did he miss in that shootout v Millwall?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bluehaze said:

Not in my book you leave Chelsea and your dead to me especially when you join Rottenham.

I watched Chelsea ( the Roy Bentley years) in a time when people weren't fussed about where players went, as long as they put it all in for Chelsea while they were here. And Durie did and scored enough for me to be satisfied with his contribution. Sure, I wasn't happy when he went, as I was when Greaves left for Italy then Spurs, but it doesn't make any difference to my opinion of Jimmy that he was a true Chelsea legend. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, old git said:

I watched Chelsea ( the Roy Bentley years) in a time when people weren't fussed about where players went, as long as they put it all in for Chelsea while they were here. And Durie did and scored enough for me to be satisfied with his contribution. Sure, I wasn't happy when he went, as I was when Greaves left for Italy then Spurs, but it doesn't make any difference to my opinion of Jimmy that he was a true Chelsea legend. 

True some ex Chelsea players I will always have time for Wilkins, Nevin etc but not Durie !!

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, erskblue said:

Best Scottish player Chelsea have had ?

The 'Bonnie Prince', Charlie Cooke for me.

Charlie was just a bit before my time so it has to be Pat Nevin for me.

When things went really downhill under Hollins in that 87-88 season, most weeks the highlight for me was watching Wee Pat's warm-up routine, only for Hollins to leave him out of the starting 11.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nibs said:

Charlie was just a bit before my time so it has to be Pat Nevin for me.

When things went really downhill under Hollins in that 87-88 season, most weeks the highlight for me was watching Wee Pat's warm-up routine, only for Hollins to leave him out of the starting 11.

 

I only saw Charlie Cooke live in his second stint and he wasn't the player he was. I agree with you about Wee Pat although he did make things a little nervous for us when he missed that penalty against Grimsby.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ewell CFC said:

Durie and Cundy both defected to Spurs within a short space.

Not long after that we went from being a selling club to a buying club ( under Hoddle)

From what I remember, Cundy was sold 'behind his back' as it were. He was bewildered by the deal, but wasn't given any option to stay. Very different to Durie's departure - didn't he say he was homesick and wanted to move nearer home, and then joined Spuds? He was a very good player for us, but burned his bridges with that move. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

From what I remember, Cundy was sold 'behind his back' as it were. He was bewildered by the deal, but wasn't given any option to stay. Very different to Durie's departure - didn't he say he was homesick and wanted to move nearer home, and then joined Spuds? He was a very good player for us, but burned his bridges with that move. 

I remember being away up North during Poterfield's tenure when a lot of fans went up to him and angrily asked what was going on.

It was a tense moment and credit to him he didn't hide yet said, 'I understand why you are angry but it isn't what you think, just you wait and you will see.'

He came across as being honest and the moment passed with everyone wondering what he meant.

I suspect they had picked up something wrong with Cundy's health yet could not say for financial reasons and he didn't play much for Spurs during his 4 year there.

It makes me wonder about Torres knee injury assuming Liverpool knew and we didn't.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/06/2018 at 09:02, bluehaze said:

Best Scottish player Pat Nevin I was at the Fulham 5-3 and then the Newcastle game when he pissed all over them. Another player who didn't get enough international caps although Hansen only got about 18 so he wasn't alone. Top bloke as well Pat Nevin and criminally underused by the BBC.

Still to this day most gutted when we have sold a player was when we sold pat to Everton, THAT TEAM was being broken up. over the years we have tended to sell players when they have been past there prime I can only think of durie and robben like pat who had more to offer but left to soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, chi blue said:

Still to this day most gutted when we have sold a player was when we sold pat to Everton, THAT TEAM was being broken up. over the years we have tended to sell players when they have been past there prime I can only think of durie and robben like pat who had more to offer but left to soon.

Like you, I was gutted when we sold Pat to Everton. From what I can recall he was never the same player at Everton. He was only 25 or 26 when he moved so had plenty of years to offer Chelsea. Him up front with Dixon and Speedie was a fine front three.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Larky Blue said:

Where would that be,looking at todays ground ?

The brown buildings on the left are part of the Oswald Stoll Home for military veterans. The path is along the back of the West Stand heading to Matthew Harding Stand. The old West Stand is on the right of the picture. I had a ST there for a few seasons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Boyne said:

The brown buildings on the left are part of the Oswald Stoll Home for military veterans. The path is along the back of the West Stand heading to Matthew Harding Stand. The old West Stand is on the right of the picture. I had a ST there for a few seasons.

Would that be round about where the Peter Osgood statue is now ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...