Vintage Blues pictures and film

On the official site.

Pat Nevin mentions playing 4-3-3 in that season of... 1983/84

Well to be fair it hasn't been mentioned on here, for what ? A week !:biggrin:

'One other thing that is quite notable about our new 4-3-3 system is that, well, it’s not very new at all. Jose Mourinho famously played that way but way back in the mists of time, my own time at Chelsea was often played in a type of adaptable 4-3-3. I well recall a midfield of John Bumstead, Nigel Spackman and Mickey Thomas with a forward line of myself, Kerry Dixon and David Speedie. The real joy of that side, and the story of our success, was that the manager, John Neal, urged us to work hard, be fitter than our opponents but above all to attack at every opportunity and be allowed to express ourselves creatively.'

'The extra burst of energy and belief I got when the manager said to me before every game: “Get on the ball at every opportunity and rip their defence apart,” made me feel unbeatable. Add to that the Chelsea fans who loved to see that creativity and roared us on consistently and suddenly, just through that positive environment, you felt twice the player.'
3 hours ago, erskblue said:

'One other thing that is quite notable about our new 4-3-3 system is that, well, it’s not very new at all. Jose Mourinho famously played that way but way back in the mists of time, my own time at Chelsea was often played in a type of adaptable 4-3-3. I well recall a midfield of John Bumstead, Nigel Spackman and Mickey Thomas with a forward line of myself, Kerry Dixon and David Speedie. The real joy of that side, and the story of our success, was that the manager, John Neal, urged us to work hard, be fitter than our opponents but above all to attack at every opportunity and be allowed to express ourselves creatively.'

Have I missed something, are you an ex-player?

5 hours ago, erskblue said:

On the official site.

Pat Nevin mentions playing 4-3-3 in that season of... 1983/84

Well to be fair it hasn't been mentioned on here, for what ? A week !:biggrin:

'The extra burst of energy and belief I got when the manager said to me before every game: “Get on the ball at every opportunity and rip their defence apart,” made me feel unbeatable. Add to that the Chelsea fans who loved to see that creativity and roared us on consistently and suddenly, just through that positive environment, you felt twice the player.'

Was wondering when that season was going to be mentioned again, what the team of today could do with is Kerry Dixon at centre forward, Hazards our Nevin of today.

I also wondered Ersk whether you were an ex player, maybe in the Dave Mitchell roll!!!!

1 hour ago, erskblue said:

Yeah, but only for my Primary and Secondary Schools !:biggrin:

No I was simply quoting Pat Nevin from the official site.

But cheers you've made my day::clap2::

For a moment I was telling myself surely not Kevin Wilson, or Bloody Kevin Wilson when he missed a chance or two.

The only strange thing about with your user name I would have associated you with Erland Johnson

11 hours ago, Richard P said:

The first game of the famous ban. In the seats and on The terraces. 

“You can’t ban a Chelsea fan!!!”

I never did own a “ You can’t ban a Chelsea fan” T-Shirt, but my mate did.

I remember him wearing it on our first lads  holiday in Cornwall in 82 .

They were grey with I think blue writing and the rampant lion.

That was our second travel ban after the one in 77, which didn’t work either!

5 minutes ago, erskblue said:

I remember the then FA Secretary, Ted Crocker trying to ban Scotland supporters from attending the England v Scotland match at  Wembley in 1981.

It didn't work.

The Scottish fans actually had a banner at the game saying: ' So you tried to ban us Mr Crocker ?'

Slightly off topic.

One of the biggest punch ups I’ve ever seen at football was the same fixture 2 years later at Wembley. A good few Chelsea involved ( the tunnel end for most of the first half)

Didn’t go to Hampden the next year but that apparently was another free for all.

I think that was a big part in the Home Internationals getting scrapped.

1 hour ago, Ewell CFC said:

One of the biggest punch ups I’ve ever seen at football was the same fixture 2 years later at Wembley. A good few Chelsea involved ( the tunnel end for most of the first half)

Didn’t go to Hampden the next year but that apparently was another free for all.

I think that was a big part in the Home Internationals getting scrapped.

I saw 'a fair bit of aggro' in Glasgow City Centre before  the 1989 game.

Between the travelling English support and Strathclyde Police !

I was only up to buy albums too !!

9 hours ago, Ewell CFC said:

I never did own a “ You can’t ban a Chelsea fan” T-Shirt, but my mate did.

I remember him wearing it on our first lads  holiday in Cornwall in 82 .

They were grey with I think blue writing and the rampant lion.

That was our second travel ban after the one in 77, which didn’t work either!

Yeah had the very shirt. Wish I’d kept it. There was an ICF one The Inter Celery Firm! Which was funny at the time.

4 hours ago, Richard P said:

Yeah had the very shirt. Wish I’d kept it. There was an ICF one The Inter Celery Firm! Which was funny at the time.

Yes remember wearing an icf inter celery firm t shirt to spurs away early season 87, I think we'd won first couple of games of season and bought 1000's and 1000's to the lane we lost 1-0 late on to Nico classen goal, rare Eddie mistake, that season we went down in the end with the infamous Boro play off. Remember a long and loud rendition of there's only one Micky Hazard, and another loud rendition of the politically incorrect version of one man went to ..... I do so miss that passionate support of the 80's it was something else