Carshalton Blue

Vintage Blues pictures and film

2 hours ago, erskblue said:

A game away v Villa in Sept 1966.

Highlights from MOTD,

What's new with this 'Sarriball' nonsense? Tommy Doc' was playing 4 -3- 3 fifty two years ago!  Osgood was orchestrating things in midfield and Tambling, Cooke and Graham were driving the Villa defence mad, with the high press. I wonder if Sarri is missing a trick by not playing Morata in midfield ?

2 hours ago, old git said:

What's new with this 'Sarriball' nonsense? Tommy Doc' was playing 4 -3- 3 fifty two years ago!  Osgood was orchestrating things in midfield and Tambling, Cooke and Graham were driving the Villa defence mad, with the high press. I wonder if Sarri is missing a trick by not playing Morata in midfield ?

The high press is a throwback to the 60's/70's and what my old man called, 'hunting in packs', 'chasing the ball down', 'don't stand there, hassle them', and 'just f**king get into 'em'.

• The Big Match: There's Only One Brian Moore feat. Peter Osgood  
  •  
  • The Big Match: There's Only One Brian Moore was a series of programmes broadcast in 1994. This episode finds it's way on here due to it featuring the Chelsea legend Peter Osgood. It's a fun and irreverent look at 1970's football and footballers.

Matches featured: Chelsea 2-1 Man.City (26th Aug.1972) and Q.P.R. 5-2 Birmingham (17th Oct 1970).

Presenter: Tim Clark, Contributors: Ex-footballers Peter Osgood, Rodney Marsh and Stan Bowles, ex-Referee Jack Taylor and comedian Bob Mills.

On 26/09/2018 at 10:00, old git said:

It drove me nuts for years until Sari our lack of pressing. We’d send two players to the ball and the first one wouldn’t even attempt to get a tackle in.

Talking of the Tommy Doc team what did you think of Tony Hateley Old Git?

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2018/9/27/classics--bonettis-fa-cup-triumph

To mark his 77th birthday today, the official Chelsea website brings you a classic interview from the past with our former goalkeeper and club legend Peter Bonetti. In it, he recalled our memorable FA Cup triumph over Leeds United in 1970.

One of the most memorable FA Cup finals in history, between two teams who enjoyed a huge rivalry, the contest was decided over the course of two matches. A 2-2 draw at Wembley, in which Bonetti was outstanding, set up an Old Trafford replay, when the Chelsea goalkeeper was once again heavily involved after picking up a first-half injury. The Blues eventually came from behind to secure the trophy for the first time in our history thanks to headed goals from Peter Osgood and David Webb.

The below interview was originally published in 2010, on the 40th anniversary of the victory, and in it Bonetti, second in the all-time appearance list for the Blues, recalls playing through the pain barrier, highlights an important tactical switch made by manager Dave Sexton ahead of the replay and gives his own verdict on just how physical the two matches were for the players involved...

Time, especially four decades' worth of time, allows tales and recollections of a momentous event the chance to be set in stone and become widely-accepted history. The FA Cup Final replay on 29 April 1970 certainly holds a very important place in the existence of Chelsea Football Club and parts of the story have been handed down to generations of Blues fans who followed.

They are told it was one of the dirtiest football games ever played on English soil. They are told manager Dave Sexton's decision to rearrange his defence was crucial to the outcome, and they are told that when Leeds United saw Peter Osgood head home his side's third equaliser over the course of the two games, they realised this was a Chelsea team that just couldn't be beaten.

Chelseafc.com spoke to one of the 11 players who started both matches for the eventual winners to verify these stories and to learn a little more about the first of Chelsea's FA Cup wins. It was Peter Bonetti as much as anyone who had given the team a replay, keeping Leeds down to two goals in the drawn game at Wembley.

Three years earlier the Blues had barely turned up for an FA Cup Final defeat by Tottenham. This time they acquitted themselves better but Leeds were the superior side and twice led. It wasn't until the 86th minute that Ian Hutchinson made it 2-2. The minutes from the FA meeting convened to decide a replay date show that the atrocious state of the Wembley pitch was raised as a side issue in the meeting, at which point it was decided to move the second game elsewhere. And so on a Wednesday evening two-and-a-half weeks later, the sides walked onto a more solid Old Trafford turf.

For Leeds there was a change in goal. Chelsea were unchanged except the back four in front of Peter was shuffled. David Webb, right-back in the first game, exchanged places with centre-back Ron Harris. It's the famous Sexton switch, and Peter confirms its importance. 'Without a doubt,' the man who made 729 Chelsea appearances agrees. 'Dave was a great tactician, one of the best in his day, and he could see where we had gone wrong at Wembley by having David Webb marking Eddie Gray.

'Webby, with all due respect, was very powerful, very strong and a 100 per cent man but not the fastest guy so he got a bit of a runaround. Dave saw what had happened there and he put Ronnie out in the right-back position to cope with Gray and Webby was far, far happier in the middle where he could win things. He and John Dempsey made a tremendous partnership.

'Webby's confidence hadn't been knocked at all. He was the first to put his hand up and say yes, I had a terrible game, but he was very pleased to get a second chance. As a team, the Wembley game made us even bolder. It made us determined to go out there and do something about it. Leeds had been the better side and could have had two or three goals more so we were lucky and that gave us greater impetus to go out and show what we can do.

'Gray was certainly good on that particular day at Wembley but he was a skilful player anyway, a great left foot and he played for Scotland, so he was a handful for any full-back. But Ronnie was Ronnie...,' Peter says with a say-no-more laugh. Harris's first-half 'reducer' on Gray, as a later football manager would have described it, is almost as famous as Webb's winning goal that completed his rehabilitation in the tie. It also set the tone for a festival of boot-on-flesh action that followed.

BONETTI MAKES ONE OF A NUMBER OF IMPORTANT SAVES DURING THE INITIAL GAME AT WEMBLEY.

So the dirtiest game ever? Time for Peter to decide. 'It probably was the most physical game I played in and today it would never have lasted. Referees today say it would not have got past the first 20 minutes because of the tackles but that was the game in those days and you had to put up with it.

'Some of the Leeds players, Norman Hunter, Johnny Giles, Billy Bremner, Jackie Charlton, they disliked our players immensely because Ossie [Peter Osgood] and Hutchy [Ian Hutchinson] were quite a handful up front . They were strong fellas and they gave out a lot of stick. Our back four of Eddie McCreadie, Webby, Demps and Ronnie were as strong as an ox and we had our runners in Johnny Hollins, Peter Houseman and Tommy Baldwin with Charlie Cooke the magician there in the middle. We had a tremendous blend of players.

'The rivalry was there because Leeds had a name, a reputation as being dirty. I'd call them physical because dirty doesn't sound a very nice word. We matched them in the physical side of things because we had our own players who were physical and that was probably why we were such big rivals. We weren't unalike in the way we played.'

BONETTI PICTURED GATHERING THE BALL UNDER PRESSURE IN THE REPLAY AT OLD TRAFFORD.

Peter was the game's most severe victim. A collision with Leeds striker Mick Jones left him with a painfully injured knee and needing treatment as the game stopped for four minutes. 'These day with that I injury I would have come off,' he is certain. 'I was numb and aching like mad. Once you get the feeling back you can run it off but they wouldn't allow that length of time these days. They would get the substitute on and that would be it.' This was a time before goalkeepers on the bench.

'Webby was saying to me, "You're alright Cat, come on, come on," because he was dreading going in goal! But he didn't make my mind up. I knew I was going to stay on providing I could hobble around and be useful at the back.

'The challenge hit a nerve initially and for some reason it started ballooning up so I got it strapped at half-time and I hobbled around and did what I had to do. The back four were superb, they kept the forwards at bay and they didn't give me too many troubles. There were a couple of shots but I have to give credit to the back four.'

Peter modestly doesn't point to three genuine saves he made in his hindered state but he could not prevent Leeds taking the lead through his assailant Jones. It was just a minute after play resumed following the injury. 'People often say that I would have stopped it if fit and I think I would have done. It sounds big-headed I know but I couldn't get any push-off just after I had been injured and straight away they got the goal. You can see in the film that I just stretched rather than dived for it.'

Chelsea went in at half-time 1-0 down and there were nervous moments for the large London contingent in the Stretford End as their keeper took longer to emerge for the second-half than the others. 'I wasn't even contemplating not coming out but I was not only getting my knee strapped,' Peter reveals. 'I don't know if anyone noticed but my boot started to split so I had to strap that up as well. I took longer than normal. There was no doubt I was going to get on. 'We came back after twice being behind in the first game. After being behind in the replay, we came back again to win and that takes some character, but we had great characters.

'Cookie's runs were causing Leeds the trouble Eddie Gray caused us in the first game. He liked the big games and Ossie's finishing for the equaliser was great as well, but I don't think there was anyone who didn't contribute in some way and deserve their medal. 'When I watch the game occasionally it brings little tingles up my neck. The noise the fans were making was incredible. I still have very strong memories.

THE PLAYERS, ON AN OPEN-TOP BUS, MAKE THEIR WAY THROUGH THE STREETS AROUND STAMFORD BRIDGE AS THE JUBILANT CHELSEA FANS CELEBRATE.

'I think at the time we were a club desperate to win the FA Cup because we had come so close with three semi-finals and a final a few years before. 'Leeds were the top team at the time. They were the most consistent team and they had fabulous players, hard players, skilful players, international players, and because we were arch enemies and comparable to them it was really great to beat them.

'The fans' jubilation behind the goal was fantastic. They must take a lot of credit as well for their support and loyalty. It was just nice for our era that we were the team that gave them the cup that they had been looking for for years.'

Tags: 

7 hours ago, Ewell CFC said:

It drove me nuts for years until Sari our lack of pressing. We’d send two players to the ball and the first one wouldn’t even attempt to get a tackle in.

Talking of the Tommy Doc team what did you think of Tony Hateley Old Git?

A bit disappointing considering his reputation. Not in the same league as Ossie.

9 hours ago, old git said:

A bit disappointing considering his reputation. Not in the same league as Ossie.

I read somewhere that when Tommy Doc was looking to offload him he tried to pique Bill Shanklys interest 

TD- he’s a great player. A hundred thousand wouldn’t buy him.

BS- Is that right Tommy. And I’m one of them!

I only saw Mark Hateley in the flesh once at Pompey and thought he was terrific. For a big fella he could run like a horse.

Tommy Docherty speaking to Bill Shankly about Tony Hateley's form when Hateley was at Liverpool.

Tommy Docherty: 'You have to say Tony Hateley's good in the air.'
Bill Shankly:' Aye, but  so was Douglas Bader !'

From what I've read, Tony Hateley simply didn't suit the Chelsea style of play when he was with us back in the 1966/67 season.

Tony Hateley arrived at The Bridge in late October 1966 for £100,000. A new Chelsea transfer fee record.

And was sold to Liverpool in June 1967 for £95,000. This was a transfer fee record for Liverpool.

He made 32 appearances for us in 1966/67. 26 in the League, 1 as sub and 6 in the FA Cup.

He scored 6 goals in the League and 3 in the FA Cup.

On 27/09/2018 at 09:16, bluehaze said:

3e8d37ccdccafe53c800f7dbb41b5020.jpg

58de3840d99c5b501185862168d21998.jpg

During the FA Cup v Liverpool game in 82 loads of people watched the game from the roof of the block of flats seen in the bottom picture. I think there’s a picture of it in the Spurs QF programme.

On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 19:10, Carshalton Blue said:

41443774_1848577168590472_46631447689250

Possibly Ipswich Town we're playing  ?

As that white and black 'adidas' strip worn by the opposing player in the picture, looks like their away kit of that era .