Vintage Blues pictures and film

44 minutes ago, erskblue said:

I'm sure that picture was taken in 1905 , before we played our first ever match at The Bridge.

Might be wrong though !

@erskblue You're right, the photo was taken in 1905. 

I'm intrigued by the posts behind what appears to be the goal? Posts for supporting the net. There appears to be a couple of hurdles in front of the North Stand and one looks like a water jump. For a steeplechase run? Saying that, the water jump is usually at the other end of the athletics track or for some reason the race was run clockwise rather than anti-clockwise. 

Steptoe and Son and their Horse and Cart in the goal-mouth?

Edited by Boyne
3 minutes ago, Ewell CFC said:

Was the dog track grass? Before my time but presumed it was cinder.

The photo was taken in 1971. Greyhound racing took place at the Bridge between 1933 and 1968 so I guess that after it stopped the cinder track was grassed over.

2 hours ago, Ewell CFC said:

2 hours ago, Ewell CFC said:

Bloody cinders!? All the dogs would come off with lacerated paws. No, it was always grass but, when the ground got rock hard, especially  in the winter, they'd put down a layer of straw all around. It was the only track I knew that put down straw as a back up. All the others would put down peat or replace the grass with sand to save maintenance costs.

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/chelsea-get-them-young

Chelsea Get Them Young

From 1964 and 'Tommy Docherty trains up young footballers for his team at Chelsea.'

Interesting clip again from British Pathe News.

Warren Tennant was the up and coming talent featured in this clip.

Warren doesn't appear to have made any first team appearances for us, according to bounder friardale's site.

1 hour ago, erskblue said:

I'd say that article is certainly part of our clubs history.

Cheers for posting it.

You're right. Without the ground owned by the LAC we may not have had a ground to move in to. One of the founding fathers of the club - and a business partner of Gus Mears - was Frederick Parker who had worked for the London Athletic Club. There are references to the London Athletic Club in the Chelsea Official Biography written by Rick Glanvill a few years ago. Will try and scan and post the relevant pages on here.